1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBTQ in Victoria?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aielar, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Aielar

So I'm planning on moving to Victoria (the one in BC) this summer after the school year is done and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any great lgbtq groups there? I'm probably doing this too early, but I'm impatient to actually meet people who aren't straight. My social circle is made up mostly of straight people, and while they are awesome and accepting of diversity, it'd be nice to connect with members of lgbtq in real life. Thanks!

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I went to UVic for my undergrad, and we had UVic Pride, and later on the Positive Space Network. There are many really good queer folks there, and some fucking annoying ones too.

In any case, I hope that you have a wonderful time there. It's a great place. Go to Murchie's for coffee on occasion.

3. Bree

I don't think there are that many real groups, except for through the schools (I'm involved with the Pride at Camosun College). This website might help though: unNIQeentertainment.ca

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow, now I know how I could have made my social life a lot better. Oh well. Life regrets...

5. Aielar

Might have to find out where Murchie's is and drag my friends there next time I'm in Victoria, even though one of them despises coffee :slight_smile: Thanks for the input, much appreciated Pret Allez.

---------- Post added 11th Nov 2012 at 03:26 PM ----------

Good thing I'm planning on taking a couple courses either through Camosun or UVIC then, thanks for responding with some information. Quick question though: is the camosun pride group open to public (people not attending the university)? Just in case my plan doesn't work and I don't go back to school right away :slight_smile:

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They have (or at least used to have) a sick apricot tea latte there. They have many good things even if one is not a coffee drinker.

I know that you're not asking me, but my experience was at UVic Pride, where I was not really a regular, admittedly. Though I do recall that they pretty much welcomed anyone. Like, they don't badge you in and ask for your student ID. They are funded by the student government anyway, and that funding isn't much. So they only do like movie nights with food and whatever, plus other random low-cost activities. On that basis, it's not like having a non-student come would kill them, given that the average contribution per student to clubs like UVic Pride or Camosun Pride is on the order of nickels.

They did have alumni there, so I can imagine they'd love to have perspective students. Whatcha thinking of taking?

7. Aielar

Oh, right now my plan is to tentatively enroll in the Early Childhood Care and Education diploma on a part time basis.I'd also be interested in taking a photography course (which Camosun is probably more likely to offer to students), and several other random courses out of personal interest. It's good to know that the UVIC pride group is open to having non students be part of the group though, just in case I don't attend university right away...or I find some of the other lgbtq groups in Victoria/on campus aren't a good fit for me :slight_smile: