1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Organ donors?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Salazar, Nov 11, 2012.

?

Organ donor?

1. Yes

51 vote(s)
    68.9%
  2. No

23 vote(s)
    31.1%
  1. Salazar

So, who's an organ donor? I don't know how it works abroad, but in the UK the NHS runs an organ donor register.

If you are, what organs/tissue were you willing to donate? I signed up when I got my driving licence about 6 months ago, as it's an option on the form. I put down all organs/tissue including eyes.

I'm not here to try and sign people up, but it's probably one of the greatest things you can do, and by far the greatest gift you can give. After all, you won't need them once you die :wink:

2. Alexander69

This question I hard for me being that I like helping people in need.... But idk I feel like I want all of my body intact when I'm dead idk I feel like if I were taken apart that I wouldn't be going to heaven as a whole. If that makes sense idk..... But to give someone a chance to live... This question is actually really hard which is why I'm not answering the poll yes/No because I'm in the middle.

3. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yep, they can have absolutely anything and everything of me they want, even if it's just so i can have a posthumous cameo as Yorick in a production of Hamlet.

Unfortunately, the law in Australia is ridiculous. No matter how vocal i am about wanting my organs donated, there are no legal provisions whatsoever to guarantee that that will be done according to my wishes after my death. That power remains with my next of kin and ONLY my next of kin after my death. If my parents decide (which they wouldn't) they don't want me donated, it won't happen despite me being a "Donor A" (which is the 'Everything Must Go!' brand of donor in Australia).

However, my family are reasonable and will respect my wishes to be turned into a lampshade, used as a paperweight, made into a manikin, taxidermied or whatever else useful they can think of for my desiccated viscera.

I think you can tell how little sacredness i ascribe to corpses from the tone of this post. I find the desire to keep one's body intact after one has absolutely no need of it extremely selfish.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think the donor thing is for if you die in a car crash. I am an organ donor on my driver's license. As far as what I'd be willing to donate while living and in good health, I am ashamed to admit probably nothing. (Since I am banned from donating blood, too.)

My view could change though, if someone close to me needed a kidney or something.

5. Salazar

Hahaha I feel that I should point out I still intend to be buried after I'm stripped for spares.

6. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    since we're on the subject, i may as well point out i'd go for the most green, practical option.

I don't know what the best option is, but i like this one: Alkaline hydrolysis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

really, i would also have no issue with being used to feed dogs (or some other, perhaps more deserving animal)

#6 Pseudojim, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  7. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I signed up to be an organ donor when I got my driver's license, too. After I'm dead, they can take whatever they want. Whatever they don't use should be donated to science, anyways. While I'm alive, I would be okay with anything that isn't vital.

8. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I don't have my license yet but I'm planning on signing up as a donor. I want as much good as possible to come from my death, however much sense that makes. I hate the idea of dying without any purpose. Like if I were in an accidental car crash or something else killed me way before my time, the idea that my organs would go to another person and possibly save a life would at least give my death some amount of meaning. And that's as close to a satisfying result to the given situation as anything could be. As for donating organs or body parts while still alive I could see myself doing it but only for a close friend or family member... or boyfriend <3

#8 kageshiro, Nov 11, 2012
  9. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I signed up for the register, I put in no. They can't have anything of my body. I just want my body to be complete, I don't know. If someone I love was in danger, though, I'd give them anything they needed in a heartbeat.

10. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    oh, while we're alive...

I donate blood as often as they let me (every 3 months). I could also donate plasma and platelets more often but i am ashamedly too lazy.

I could be convinced to do bone marrow but i wouldn't want to pay an anaesthetist's bill to do it (i am just too poor)

not sure what else i could offer realistically, i would rather keep both of my kidneys as an insurance policy against a loved one needing one of them.

11. Salazar

I was thinking about live donation. If someone I really cared about needed something, I'd give it without a second thought, except bone marrow. Marrow is apparently the most painful procedure, without a shade of exaggeration. I would offer marrow, but it would take someone really special.

12. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you do realise it's just going to break apart as it rots in the ground anyway, right? What's the difference how it breaks apart? In the ground, or as a life-saving addition to someone else's body, it's all going to break apart anyway.

---------- Post added 12th Nov 2012 at 12:03 PM ----------

yeah, hence i would want a good anaesthetist involved, and wouldn't want to pay the bill =P

and morphine for when i wake up, please....

13. Eric

I'm a registered donor. Fact is, once I kick the bucket (and I'd like to hold off on that for a nice, long while), I'm not gonna need anything, so why shouldn't other people be allowed to live? To be honest, I can't help but feel that people who don't want to donate their organs are being selfish, and I've encouraged all of my family and friends to register to donate. Unfortunately, a few of them refuse. Whaddya gonna do?

Live donation is a tiny bit different. I couldn't see myself donating to someone I didn't know. If it's someone I know, I'd absolutely donate.

14. Fruitylicious

I am not an organ donor, yes it could help someone, but if you are an organ donor they have to harvest them as soon as possible before they cannot be used. That being said, I have heard stories, now these are both true and rare, but they do happen, where a person has gotten in a wreck or other accident and appears to be dead, but really isn't and they harvest his organs.

I have watched it on t.v. before, a documentary or some medical show, where a man was in a wreck and appeared to be dead and they rushed him into surgery and started harvesting his organs and the man was aware of the whole thing and watched as his organs were taken from his body.

I know these are rare cases, but knowing my luck, it would happen to me:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not saying that mistakenly believing someone is dead has never happened, but i smell the blatant bullshit in the above quote. If his organs were taken from his body, how would anyone have a clue that he was alive at the time and knew what was going on? If anything more than a single kidney was taken, that's a death sentence. They don't bother with appendix transplants, i'm afraid. After all was said and done and he was just an empty sack, did he get in a huff and threaten to sue?

16. Salazar

It doesn't happen like that in the uk. Brain activity is monitored to establish whether brain death has occurred. The body is then kept on a respirator to keep the organs alive before they are removed.

17. FJ Cruiser

As far as when I'm alive? Uh, I might give a kidney to a loved one in desperate need, but I'm not allowed to give anything else. As far as if I die in an accident? I'm a full donor. I don't get why you wouldn't be. My soul sack doesn't need these organs after I'm gone, and I'd be ecstatic to give them to someone who might need them.

18. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Once I die I don't care what happens to my organs. If someone else can use them by all means they should.
    I don't even want to be buried. I would be a huge waste of space. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. Fruitylicious

"Sigh" I saw it on t.v. (Notice the "t.v."), I take offence that you would refer to my post as "bullshit". It has happened, there are instances where the heart rate can get so low that you appear dead. Don't believe me look it up, can happen from meditation, some sort of jelly fish (I think, pretty sure I am right).

So what's the issue with believing that it could happen in an instance with an organ donor and him appearing dead? Also, I forgot to mention that the victim died on the table, I don't know how again I saw it on T.V. (Plus it's t.v., I mean come on lol), however I do know they started with the organs in his chest like heart (I think?)

Next time please read my whole post, especially when it say's "t.v.", because if it does, you can believe it or not, just what I saw.

Also if you see a post of mine mentioning any form of "t.v.", I don't usually watch t.v., so therefore you can expect the stuff I say to have come on t.v. 2+ years ago lolXD

EDIT: I found this, knew it was floating around somewhere: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/organ_ghouls_of_doom_suit_LxCZMP5uRGgI6yn3ywMN9J

There is an example of a car crash victim right there and more:slight_smile:

#19 Fruitylicious, Nov 11, 2012
  20. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know, but I just want to be "me" when they bury me. I don't know why, I just feel that's the way it's supposed to be.

I do donate blood :slight_smile: Anything that my body can grow back or produce more of, I'm willing to give.

#20 justinf, Nov 11, 2012