1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A thing my friend told me (about bisexuality)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Pyrotactick, Nov 11, 2012.

?

Neutrality and confusion among bisexuals

1. Yes, I am/know somebody who's like that

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. Nope, I am/know someobdy who's HARDLY like that

13 vote(s)
    59.1%
  3. Could be depression or another mental illness

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. Not sure/prefer not to answer/too lazy to think about this/need to do research

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Pyrotactick

My friend said that bisexual men/woman have a more neutral mind set and wish to go with the majority, stay neutral, or try to find a middle on a subject. They can also be very confused on emotions, ideas, and can be very cloudy sometimes. I feel like this matches me.
    I always want to find a good balance. I always want to stay neutral, say all the good and all the bad, and sometimes I can't tell what I'm feeling or my emotions lag (something sad happens, cries, but in my head I don't feel sorry until later or never).

Sooh...thoughts?

Anybody can answer this too, don't be afraid to blurt something out!

#1 Pyrotactick, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As far as that goes, no, I don't think that there's anything special about the cognition of bisexual folks. As many of the posters here know, I do not seek neutrality on very many subjects. I'm pretty political and therefore feel strongly about stuff. Nor am I confused about my emotions. I know pretty much exactly how I feel and why. I'm not too ambiguous about them...

Furthermore, I have two bisexual friends in real life (but no gay friends, sadly), and neither of them want to stay neutral, nor are they confused about their emotions.

#2 Pret Allez, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  3. Bree

I'm rather straightforward emotionally, and can be intense. Most of the openly bi- and pansexual people I know are have strong political opinions. It could be that there are a lot of people who feel as you've suggested, but I doubt it--people who are attracted to multiple genders have to be able to examine their default orientation to realise this, and therefore are more likely to be emotionally aware.

4. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I'm pretty clear emotionally speaking and on certain topics I have a very strong opinion.
    As the others have said most bisexual people seem to be as emotional and opinionated as other people, if not more.

5. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I hate that people think and say these things about bisexuals without even talking to us they just spew their ignorance, I can say no I'm not confused about anything and I have a strong sense of self esteem I'm not emotional about anything , I'm happy to be bi I know who I am , and I'm just fine.

6. Fiddledeedee

I'm not bi because I want to be fair, because I choose neutrality, or because I'd like the best of both, I'm bi because I can be attracted to anyone. Although I do try to be a mediator wherever I can, that isn't connected to my sexuality and doesn't mean I'm not opinionated!

7. Colours

I am very straightforward in things that matter to me in one way or another. Same thing goes up for my opinions on certain things. I will clearly state my opinion.

As for my emotions, I'm not sure about this because I've been on an emotional rollercoaster lately. Especially on my better days, I'll feel extremely happy, though for unknown reason. So maybe that does go up for me.

I do think most bisexuals are very open minded, so that could bring a certain neutrality in that they can understand other people's opinions I guess? But whether you choose to stay neutral all depends on the person, not so much on their orientation. I am personally very open to whatever anyone thinks about anything, but I will not pretend to agree with them if I don't.

That's what I think anyway.

8. Pyrotactick

Thanks guys, I asked my friend about what she said and she said that she was basing it off of me and somebody else (prob lying, I know her). Guess I have something then. I think I was raised with a mindset of seeing both sides which explains one thing. Yet with the emotions, not so much, maybe it's puberty or my speculations on another disorder.

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like how everything has to have two sides. Why can't issues have more than two sides? And why aren't some sides of polar issues just wrong?

10. Pyrotactick

Things do have more than one side. People usually have an extremist view since it's predetermined bias. Like people that like cheese. Sure you could like cheese, and sure you can't. Yet people like only specific kinds of cheese, which is a middle. Alright, that wasn't too good, but I don't want to use something provocative like gay marriage, unless your okay with that or something.

11. jargon

I hate to say this, because it shows how little faith I have in humanity, but I wonder if this kind of thinking literally just springs from unreflective people making connections between BIsexual and BIpolar.

12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    But some people have come to conclusions based on reflection. While we're always willing to consider new evidence, having come to a conclusion after rigorous inquiry is not having "predetermined bias." There are multiple sides to every controversial issue (by definition), but some of them are simply wrong.

Biwinning. Same difference, right?

13. Hot Pink

This is obviously a wide and offensive generalization about a group of people. Tell your friend to keep their wide, sweeping remarks about people they don't understand to themselves. Also, tell them they're an idiot while you're at it for buying into a stereotype. People should be more intelligent than that.

14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Somebody made a comment a while back saying "Bisexuals are the most sensitive, nice, helpful people I know" to which I responded "Well, you can't say that about bisexuals any more than you can say it about heterosexuals or gays or whatever, because personality and sexual orientation are not inherently correlated in any way, and it's ridiculous to imply otherwise."

And I'd say the same to the comment above. Whomever said that is stereotyping and making an ignorant assessment that probably goes along the lines of "Well, if they can't decide what sex they like, they probably can't decide anything else, either." Which... is just bullshit.

So, those attributes may match you, but it has no more correlation to your bisexuality than it does to the color of your eyes, or your height, or any other attribute you may have. :slight_smile: