1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

happy cosplay appreciation day!!!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kat kanu, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Kat kanu

happy cosplay appreciation day
    sorry i just really wanted to tell everyone so i want everyone to post there favorite cosplay pics/vids

[YOUTUBE]3KmoKOrKJvk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]JNEFwxpC1WA[/YOUTUBE]

2. Level N Human

As someone who never understood cosplay, I want to know: What motivates people to cosplay? I understand dressing up for fun, but the at the level that cosplayers do it - I just don't get it?

I'm not trying to offend you so excuse me if I came off that way. I honestly want to know what makes you guys tick. There's a Furry house near where I live (not the same I know), and week after week they congregate to live out this avatar life.

3. Delta

I shall not speak on the topic of furries. They are foreign to me.

But I kinda understand cosplay, being a casual cosplayer myself. It gives you a little bit of pride to get the look of the person you're dressing up as, down to the detail, in a way that makes the people around you who know your character feel a little bit as if they've come to life. That's why you try to adopt the attitude and manners, rather than just the look. When you have a really detailed, perfect costume, with the hair, and the walk, and everything, people at conventions give you this sort of awed respect, coupled with a sense of family and familiarity, since they know you share an interest with them.

It also gives you a break from the insecurity of being yourself when you can be someone else that you've watched and followed intently, for the purpose of knowing how to be them. And there's a right and a wrong way to act like them, whereas there's no right or wrong way to be you. I suppose that's true of all acting, not just the constant impromptu of cosplay.

Those are reasons I cosplay, mainly. And also, for a little bit of the same reasons people write fanfiction. If I want these two characters to be together, I dress up as one, make my girlfriend dress up as the other, and then I can have as many pictures as I want of the characters "together."

But the biggest reason is because it's fun~ <3

4. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    YAY! Cosplay Appreciation Day!!! :grin:

5. Ventus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I had my first full-body cosplay back in October. Unfortunately I wasn't really prepared XD

It was an overall success, but I really should have thought more about transport.

6. Kat kanu

I love doing it because its like having a connection to a character and plus everyone has that one thing when there like if that person was real it would be so cool to meet them. I cosplay because it brings out the best in many people ive made so many friends through cosplay alone and some of which have never cosplayed. My anime club cosplays and visits the children hospital and raise money for them.cosplay just brings people who would probably never talk together.

And I dont think you message came off rude its a legit question I hope this helps :slight_smile:

7. Kat kanu

Ahhhhhhhhh I love the lust for fullmetal

8. TheSeeker

Ok, Kudos on the lust costume. I never got cosplay either, although I do have a friend who is into LARPing (Live Action Role Playing). I will dress up on halloween, but otherwise I just cosplay daily as a semi-hippie who doesn't give a sh*t... Although, maybe you could consider my Park Ranger uniform as cosplay, since it just makes me look like an overgrown boy scout.

9. Kat kanu

Cosplay is awesome its acutally my job and I love it

10. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Awww lucky! >:/ lol

11. Metleon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    First I want to say, cosplay =/= furry. The reason people cosplay is because they get obsessed with something (or at least that's why I like it). Cosplay usually has the person's face showing if they're a catgirl/Pokemon/random anime character unless the character specifically doesn't show their face. Furry costumes (or fursuits) never show the person's face. Of course, that doesn't mean that furries can't simply cosplay. I think a similar analogy would be the difference between a guy dressing up as a specific female celebrity for Halloween, as apposed to actually crossdressing.

Anyway, why didn't anyone tell about this? I could have worn my Umbreon hat all day, sans when I'm at work. Should probably make a shirt and pants to go with it for the next anime convention.

12. Kat kanu

awe are you going to ax next year

---------- Post added 14th Nov 2012 at 08:55 PM ----------

oh i love it but theres always some weird thing they want you to do lol my photographer wants to do a mizore in the snow shoot and im in a mini skirt lol ah for the love of cosplay