1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tattoo idea/help

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Myra48, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Myra48

ive been wanting a tattoo for a long time and i would like to get it before i turn 19. i love the beatles but i want to wait for those. i really wanted a quote on my arm about peace or tolerance, and i found this today "without tolerance our world turns into hell". i really like it but i just wanted to know what you all think of it.

2. jargon

Where on your arm is it going? Having the word "hell" on your arm might make that a teeny bit more risque than any other fairly visible tattoo, although I doubt that word being part of the tattoo would be a deal-breaker for many employers if the tattoo itself wasnt already.

My only other suggestions would be: make you sure think a good, long time about any tattoo before you get it! If you just found that quote today, I'd toy around with that one and others for at least a couple weeks, if not months, before you make a final decision.

3. Hard Candy

Hard Candy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I think your idea about a quote is better. And use only one color. Also, you probably want to use a classic kind of writing or font, like cursive, to make it sophisticated and timeless.

Also, you can check my tatoo, maybe you could get an idea. It's not permanent though. You have to think really hard if you really want to get a permanent one.

4. Myra48

yeah, it would be on the inside of my forearm. the word hell was really my only concern, but if i had a business job it would be covered up

5. LightningRider

I definitely agree with the idea of waiting and thinking it all over.
    You might think of or find a better quote. :slight_smile:

I've been thinking about the tattoos I want for over a year now. And am I glad I did and still am.
    I've changed my mind that many times and decided against a heap of them.

Thinkin' = good :slight_smile:

6. aeva

I have "Imagine" on my back (as well as 3 others), so I definitely identify with the sentiment. I love the quote you've chosen, but I understand your reservations. I would suggest thinking very hard about it, maybe even choosing another spot if you think it's too risky.

7. PurpleCrab

The idea is awesome, but the quote sounds rather negative (with the words Without and Hell) I found that site: Quotes About Tolerance (119 quotes)

where you could browse though quotes about tolerance.
    I like: “All men are made one for another: either then teach them better or bear with them.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

In the practice of tolerance, one's enemy is the best teacher.
    Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama

also this link seems good: Tolerance Quotes | Page 1 of 2 | Wisdom Quotes

8. Yoderrick

I like that quote but I do think you should think really hard about it before you get it, and make sure you will always like what you get :slight_smile:

9. TheSeeker

Ok... as a guy with a couple of tattoos, I have a few rules to ink by:

1. Get something meaningful to you, that will always be meaningful. So bands, pop culture, yeah that can fade with time.

2. DO NOT get anything concerning a significant other or relationship. You know why.

3. DO NOT get a religious tattoo, half of my friends have religious tattoo and only half of them are actually religious. I have an atheist friend that has a celtic cross tattooed across his back. Yeah... No religious tattoos.

4. Get it somewhere where it won't affect you getting a job. I work for the federal government here in the states, and our uniform in the summer has short sleeves and occasionally shorts are required for desert work. Both of my tattoos are on my arms, but high enough up that they can't be seen when I am in uniform.

That's just me, but a tattoo is a serious commitment. That said, I love my tattoos... I feel they add interest to my otherwise uninteresting body!

Good luck and happy inking!

-The Seeker

10. julia

When I turned 18 all I wanted was a tattoo but after people telling me I should wait, I did. (Also, I wasn't 100% on a tattoo yet) I got my first tattoo three months before my 20th birthday, and I'm so, so, so happy I did. You will change in just a year and you may not like the quote you choose, especially if it's going on your arm. If you REALLY want a tattoo the best advice I can give you is get something relatively small and in a place that can easily hidden.
    Mahatma Gandhi is notorious for peace so you could look into some of his quotes.
    Mahatma Gandhi Quotes - BrainyQuote

11. PurpleCrab

It depends about who you are, but the youngest you get tattooed, the more thoughts you should give it. That's a fact.
    I had my first tattoo I was 12 years old, and it's a tribal around my arm. It was the first of a long series of body art, and very meaningful to me. I never regretted it.

I actually regretted none of my tattoos, though lots of them show everyday like the ones on my hands and arms. That's because I never sought a signification for a tattoo I wanted.... I wanted tattoos to print an image of an important meaning on myself.