1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Revisiting bad events from the past

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Pills, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Pills

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Do you ever revisit events from the past?

I keep thinking about this one incident in high school that quite frankly did a lot of damage to me and even ruined my chances of getting into the major of my choice. I can't stop thinking about it, even though quite some time has passed and I haven't seen the kid since. And what makes it worse is that my father, whenever he's mad at me, would bring up this particular incident and it feels like dipping a wound in acid.

It's so painful to think about that particular event, how much I suffered as a result. And after much thought, I think I still hold a grudge against the kid.

#1 Pills, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  2. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

Yes I torture myself with this kind of stuff all the time. Ive done a lot of really embarassing and stupid things in my past, and I will find myself obsessing over one incident over and over again, thinking, "how could I be so stupid" etc etc.

Its super cliche to say this, but all you can control is the present and the future. As long as you are trying your hardest to learn from your mistakes, thats all you can do.

If you are talking about someone who WRONGED you (like a bully or something), then ya, I hold long long grudges and havent figured out how to let go of them either:confused: The actions of bullies and abusers definitely have shaped a lot of my decisions.

#2 tapsilog2012, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2012
  3. SparkDT

I think about these things a lot too. I guess at the end of the day, everyone makes mistakes - I've made a lot in the past, are making them in the present and will probably make some more in the future. The best thing you can do really is take what you've screwed up and try to make the best of it. There's nothing you can do to change what has already happened, only to remedy it.

I hate when people rehash the same things over and over in arguments and when they get mad. Bringing it up constantly isn't going to change anything... what's done is done. :/

All you can do is keep your head up and move on, taking whatever happened into consideration and learning from it. :slight_smile:

4. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Yeah.. I do it mostly everyday.. I've been doing it just before..fucking stressful

5. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, all the time. I keep wondering if my life had turned out different or if I had been a different person if certain things hadn't happened. And I have a couple of situations that I just can't forget, and of which it still bothers me that I did things the way I did. I fonly you could go back in time... But, you can't, so I force myself to live in the now and not look backward. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.

6. Kat kanu

i do but i really try not to i cant change it so why worry about it

7. mickie newton

I have beaten myself up over stuff from the past. Something will happen and stuff will come to the surface.

But I'm much more likely to beat myself up over stuff now. Make more out of it than is really necessary! lol

8. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

I used to live my whole life based on a period of time of sexual abuse, and I didn't move past that for 30 yrs.:bang::tantrum::tears:

That was until I found out I am gay, then, well.... That shock was so great that it made that time in my life pale in comparison.

So now I can see that time as just a piece of my life and not my defining moment.:slight_smile:

I try to live each day now as a new journey. :icon_bigg