1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do we fall in love?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by myheartincheck, Nov 14, 2012.

1. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This may seem like a silly question, but as I am currently in love with a woman who does not return my feelings, I've begun to wonder... why do I crave love so badly these days? A couple years ago, I was perfectly content to be by myself and just work on college and volunteering... etc... but then I fell head over heels in love with my best friend, (who I'm trying to just stay friends with but its so hard) and I realize how much I've changed.

So anyways, my story inspired me to ask your guys' theories on why we fall in love. Do you think its the connection, a reason to stick around and raise our families... what do you think?

2. Just1Dude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This post reminds me of the song "I'll Never Fall in Love Again" and "Love Hurts" both totally played out in my mind at the same time. Love is hard, but I believe we need it to survive. Love hurts hard, but at the same time when that happens doesn't it prove itself to be important? I think we fall in love because we need that feeling to be complete. Sure not everyone feels this way, but it is just me.

I fell in love with my best friend too, I lost him completely ..not because I came out but just because we lost touch. I feel like a puzzle piece short, even if I couldn't be with him I would still love to be part of his life.

BAH.. I don't know, I feel like I'm dancing around on your issue lol! To me, we fall in love because we want/need it. It is the missing corner piece to our puzzle of life.

Heh.. I'm lame. Sorry.

3. madi

From a scientific viewpoint it is all about reproduction...Which is weird to think about with anyone who isn't straight because it's not like two girls or two guys can get pregnant from having sex with each other.
    All love is is and addiction to a release of dopamine in the brain....much like a cocaine addiction. The reason we fall in love is because we think they would be a good mate. With females looking at males it is about how caring and nurturing they are so they would be good at raising children, as well as their immune system, genes, and testosterone levels which tell us how fertile they are. Many of these things are scent, others facial features, and others are just their personality.
    Humans are in the 3 or so percent of mammals that mate for life (not in all cases, but in many) we fall in love biologically speaking so we will have a greater chance of raising off-spring to adulthood.
    That being said it is curious to me how we can fall in love with people of them same gender or of a non-binary gender...Nothing against it obviously because I like girls as wells as boys :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: but I am curious as to what is happening in the brain that causes this.
    Looking at human history we are pack creatures and we need contact with other humans (some of us more than others) To have one person that you know will always be there for you and needs you as much as you need them is amazing. I think it is easier to be content with purely platonic relationships until you experience love. It literally is a drug! (like a said earlier dopamine release in the brain makes ya feel gooood) (!)(!)

4. MC Nickayyy xD

That one place, you know, by that one thing.
    It is human nature. Every person on this earth wants to know they matter. They want to know that they make a difference in someone else's life. So we search. We search for love and passion, for that person on this earth who would mean the world to you and you to them.

5. Drakey

honestly I'm not even sure if I can. If I knew what it felt like I'd tell you exactly why we do, but love is an inexplicable and irrational thing.

6. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I understand how you feel! Even though I told her I love her and came out to her and knew she wouldnt feel the same, it still hurt to hear she didnt feel the same and when we're apart I feel so... empty... Less now than I used to feel, but still empty.

I sometimes wonder why my mind works against the preservation of my species :lol: and yes, after one experiences love, it is DEFINATELY hard to go back to platonic mindsets.

I'm in love and I can't explain it any better than you :lol:

7. Caudex

Caudex Guest

Because upon the visual perception of an attractive person, our brains fire neurotransmitters instructing us to engage in coitus. Yeeep.

8. jsmurf

We fall in love because we have a cerebral cortex stationed above our reptilian brain. :wink:

9. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good job nature! :thumbsup:

10. livinglifefree

I think we fall in love because most humans have the fear of being alone/dying alone. It seems that having someone there for you throughout life lessens this fear. It is the only logical reason I can think of for same-sex couples falling in love, but then again love is anything but logical.

11. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    "The only constant in nature is diversity"

Do you know who said that? It doesn't matter really, but the thing is that it's true. The only principle that is basic enough to be present on every part and aspect of the universe (known and unknonwn) is diversity. That principle is what cause to be "existence" and "non existence", places with a lot of forms of life, and places without any, and diferences between seemingly equal things.

While it's absolutely true that love is designed to help the preservation of the species (human species at least), diversity dictates that 'love' is to be used in more ways than the "specified on the instruction booklet", so to speak.

So don't worry if loving individuals of the same sex or gender that you will make that agaisnt the preservation of the species, it all obbeys to the most basic (and undeniable) principle of all: diversity.

12. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for this! :icon_bigg

13. DanD

I have this fear. I live alone, am out to nobody, and it's seriously lonely.
    I think that not only having someone in your life lessens the fear of being alone; it also helps to give a human being 'a life', i.e. a reason to live, and the knowledge that someone actually respects what you stand for.

A life with a partner can be shared, and can, I assume, be really good fun. But, a life alone is no life at all.

We fall in love many times during our stay on this planet, as it takes many times to find the male or female to like us back. I've not succeeded in this yet, and I'm sure I never will.

Apologies for the depressing post :icon_sad:

14. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the evolutionary purpose of falling in love is to form a stable unit for raising kids. If it was just mere reproduction, we'd do like many species and have sex with strangers when ovulating, before abandoning them to raise our children alone. But since human children take so long to become independent, and we can only (usually) have one at a time, it's a lot more effective if two people share responsibility. And those people, for the sake of that kid, kind of need a strong commitment to each other.

That said, the evolutionary reason is why love emerged in the first place, not why a given individual feels it.

15. Neutrality

Ya know, aren't some things better left as a mystery. I couldn't imagine love being nearly as fun if we could explain it. =)

16. samizer0313

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed. I have this fear myself.
    I also believe it's for the feeling that you can have someone to make you happy and show you things beyond what you know in life.

17. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thats ok... I think everyone has this fear including myself. :icon_sad: