1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is it about romance that sells?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Pills, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Pills

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Every blockbuster or bestseller in history was a romantic love story. Take for example, the bestselling film of all time,Avatar or Romeo and Juliet. What, in your opinion, is it about love stories that draw crowds?

[​IMG]

2. Hexagon

Nothing to say, other than that I really wouldn't call Interview with the Vampire a romance. Not really fond of romances so I don't know.

3. Hazel

We like to fantasize. It feeds our fantasies.

4. IanGallagher

It adds another dramatic sub-plot to further drive a story along. For some stories it adds another interesting element, whereas other stories it's not even needed and sometimes avoided. That's from a story-telling point of view. From a studio/executive point of view, the key film demographic is actually guys 18-25. The females are brought in by other means - thus including a romantic subplot as a marketing point to pull them in. For example, superhero films also having romantic sub-plots.

Avatar for example - alien out of this world adventure, brings guys in; romantic sub-plot drives female audiences in. Titanic - guys interested in the action elements of it as well as the history; female audiences obvious.

I really don't know many guys who go to a film in interest for the romantic subplot, rather I always see guys asking why there always needs to be one. And from the executive point of view - it's what drives female audiences to theaters. (Then from creative, as said, it adds more drama).

- Work in the industry as a writer.

#4 IanGallagher, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012