1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mum loves gays!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Olivier, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Olivier

So my mum loves gay people, and is very accepting, I love her so much and really want to tell her I'm gay! Do u think her reaction will be different/bad because I'm her son?? And do u guys think I should come out?

2. Pain

Pain Guest

I had a similar issue with my brother and sister; I knew they were accepting, and didn't so much care as to the orientation of friends/others, but I was apprehensive because I am their brother... Would it change for that reason?

It turns out, when I did tell them that I am gay, they were both accepting. However, I have heard of cases of rejection BECAUSE the gay one is the brother/daughter/child/et cetera.

Also, I read a quote the other day: "When I came out to my mom, she told me 'Great! Now you can help me shop for shoes!' Hearing her stereotype me like that was worse than hearing 'Get out of my house'." Do you think you would have a similar sentiment? If your mom 'loves' gay people, there's the chance that she'll like the help-shopping stereotype.

The only real way to find out how she would react would be to tell her, though. If she is very accepting like you say, it shouldn't be a problem.

3. BudderMC

Realistically, none of us can know what your mom will say; you'd know better than us.

But if she sounds accepting and you're thinking about it, take the plunge! There's no way to find out until you do it.