1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being an outcast because of unpopular values!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PurpleCrab, Nov 16, 2012.

1. PurpleCrab

This is just a thought I thought of discussing. Being LGBT it's kind of easy to know how it feels to be an outcast, but there are several other reasons to be kept apart from the crowd.

One of them is when your values/opinions are different or opposite from the popular trendy values of our time.
    Sometimes when the people who think like us are scarce and that our value is very important to us, it becomes very lonely. Enough to change our value perhaps, or to at least try?

For example, I'm all for the ideals of feminism, I'm all for true democracy, equal rights and the respect of everybody's individual rights as well. I'm just strongly against abortion because to me, the person exists as soon as conception occurs so it's plain, socially accepted legal murder of a baby.
    I've lost great friends of mine because of my stances on abortion; some of them just couldn't get in their heads that I wished nothing else but everyone's rights being equal, that I did not want to rip women of their rights and that I don't want their lives destroyed either.
    If they would have asked me what I would consider as a solution for the problem I would have proposed that science advances a bit farther in the contraception direction, possibly making everybody sterile until they choose to have kids. The drastic reduction of the number of operations, reduction of the cost of health care and the reduction of the costs that society shoulders to raise unwanted children would pay many times for the expenses of said research and for the application fees.

In the end, I believe we have more freedom of choice when it comes to our personal values than about our sexual orientation but it's still sad to have to be outcast because of what's in your mind.

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

So how do you feel about people getting abortions before science advances to the point where we can totally prevent unwanted pregnancies, e.g. in the present day?

3. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I know what you mean but if someone is going to cut you out of their life because of your values, then they really weren't worth your time and you'll be better without them anyway. I mean, just as an example, one of my best friends is a pretty hardcore Christian. I've known her since high school, but we ended up interning together this summer and as she likes to say, I "corrupted" her then. As in, I drank a lot, partied a lot, I tend to dress pretty extravagantly. I'm a pretty hardcore liberal that is pro-choice under any circumstances, and an Obamabot. She is the total opposite in almost every single way--she supported McCain and Romney, is pro-life, goes to church every Sunday. And, you know what, we still have a shit-load of fun when we hang out together, and I love that bitch. I'd rather someone be totally honest with me, on a real level, than pretend to be something they're not because they feel like that's what I want from them. I'd be hurt, honestly, if I found out someone was keeping something from me because they'd think I wouldn't want their time or love or compassion, over something as silly as politics. It'd be suggesting that I'm only their friend on the whims of ideology when I'm way more interested in their character and soul.

4. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I agree.

In my case, I always speak with all the truth as I know it, and don't care what people feel in doing so (because, you know, 'truth' is always hard). This have pushed away some unworthy people.

There was a day when I was actually thanked for speaking like this. A friend (one of the only 4 people I call "friend") was studying medicine on the local university. It's widely known that medicine career has the highest academic load of all careers (at least on this university).

He'd been some time complaining about how much he had to read for his classes, and one day that we went to the movies, he was talking about how he hadn't much time to do this things, because he suffered a lot with the tons of homework he had, etc, etc. He kept talking about that, until I got tired and told him that I knew he had a huge load, but that he was comitting the same mistake as other people, and he believed that only because he suffered a lot, he seemed to feel kind of superior, but he forgot that other people, while haven't suffered as much, did suffer too.

He was silent for a moment, before he smiled and told me that that's why he liked to talk with me so much, because I won't shut up just to not hurt him. After that he tried to complain less hehe.

5. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh yes I understand this. I'm a minority in the minorities. (And I'm part of a lot of minorities.) So, I end up being a loner. I don't want those friends. I'm not sure if I'm even a minority, or just a singularity.

6. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You'd get along with my family. All of us are feminists who are opposed to abortion because we consider life to start at conception.

Oddly enough, I'm not sure if beliefs are a choice. I don't think I chose to believe what I believe. I just looked at facts, tried to make sense of them in a way I could understand, and ended up with opinions as a result. For example, I didn't chose to convert to atheism, I just found that Christianity stopped making sense to me, and decided to be open about it.

7. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I form my views based on my own research, independently from those of my friends and family. Since they like to argue I have become very good at altering the course of the conversation to avoid sensitive issues. I am also very good at arguing, I just don't like to argue with family 'cause we all be cut from the same stubborn cloth.

8. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Seriously, just out of curiosity, why at conception?

9. Bree

And abortion IS a tough one. I think I could probably agree with you that life starts at conception, but I'm still pro-abortion, because I think it's morally wrong to bring an unwanted child into the world.

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, then. I'm not sure exactly what your views are, and I don't want to make unfair assumptions. However, regarding your solution, that still leaves the question about what to do with this.

Trigger warning.

#10 Pret Allez, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  11. PurpleCrab

My solution isn't perfect; nothing is. But all the pregnancies would be wanted pregnancies, which would logically have the effect of eliminating pretty much all need for abortions that aren't medically necessary like this one.

---------- Post added 16th Nov 2012 at 06:26 PM ----------

I feel that it's a the lesser evil of the two, and it's also a necessity in our society as it is. While I feel that it's utterly wrong even if necessary, to forbid abortions is not the right solution either.

All in all I didn't want to restart the debate on abortions thank you :wink:

I just wanted to share an impression... and well, the people who know how to keep their opinions and values separate from their friendships have the right way I think.

If I think so strongly about something that I can't stand having friends who think opposite, well, I guess I do have some work to do on myself in order to be a better friend after all.

#11 PurpleCrab, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  12. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm the same way I'm always out cast because I don't believe in abortion except in the case of rape and if the couple has taken every step to be protected , to me a baby shouldn't die because people can't face their responsibility ( and I don't mean they have to keep it give it to a loving couple that will give it a good life) I knew a girl when I was a freshman in high school and she was a junior and had already had 3 abortions, you can't just throw it away like its an old toy and keep doing it over and over.

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What about my other exception above?

14. Owen

Fair enough; my apologies for asking. :slight_smile:

I think he addressed that when he said this his solution would eliminate the need for abortions "that aren't medically necessary like this one." I inferred from that that he's okay with abortions that are medically necessary to save the mother's life.

Same here. I don't think we choose our beliefs; I think we're compelled to believe what we believe by the evidence we're presented, by our biases, and by our experiences. It's as much of a choice as our preference for vanilla or chocolate ice cream is a choice.

15. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm addressing a new poster who enumerated every case except this one.

16. Owen

Oh wow. I must have just seen the word "Purple" in their name and assumed it was PurpleCrab. My bad. :icon_redf

17. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm on my iPad didn't see what you were asking about but if it endangers the mothers life then yes she should have an abortion.

18. Suffocation

Hey, hey, hey! Just because you are LGBT doesn't make you an outcast! That's very stereotypical of you.

Oh, and... I'm totally not an outcast because of LGBT... well...

19. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been outcasted for many things throughout my life. It' just something that I have become used to over time.

There are some people that do see me as an outcast because of my beliefs. This happens mainly in my hometown though and not at my college.

20. redstormrising

the sterilization thing sounds interesting - but what about women who only voluntarily have sex with other women? surely we wouldn't have to be sterilized just in case some man rapes us.

i am anti-forced-pregnancy and i do have friends who are on the other side of the fence. the key, i think, is that we all accept that none of us are going to change the others' views. we can debate issues amicably, but we all draw the line at trying to force our views down each others' throats. i would not have any desire to be friends with someone who was constantly telling me i'm in the wrong and their point of view is the only right one.