1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

its just a snack cake... GET OVER IT!!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Emberstone, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Emberstone

Am I the only one who is getting tired of people acting like the world is coming to an end because twinkies are not going to be made anymore?

in a country with rampent obeisty problems, having one less calorie bomb seems like a good thing. Besides, other companies have been making twinkies for decades, including little debbie's cloud cakes. The brand name is disappearing, but like the other thing that survive nuclear war (cockroaches), twinkies will still be produced, just under a different name.

2. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The name will probably be bought and used, too.
    They're not going anywhere.

3. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like vegan versions of them, bought a couple from veganessentials.com and YUM.
    So, I might make some myself. Cheaper, healthier, and very very delicious.

4. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Agreed with this.

Though, this country could undoubtedly use less snack cakes.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What bothers me the most is all the people that lost their jobs. They did kind of bring it upon themselves by striking after their company filed for bankruptcy.

6. Eric

I feel bad for the employees, but I don't like snack cakes of any kind.

7. Emberstone

From what we have seen about what led to the bankrupcy filings, the employees have a right to be angry. The company was solvent before the owners decided to raid it for a quick buck. While the owners were cutting employee benifits, hours, and paychecks, they were bloating their own saleries. in the end, two hedge fund managers bought the company for its value, then took the value for themselves, and have left it for dead.

8. Ticklish Fish

So dyslexic today... I read that as "snake cake"

9. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ Mm, that reminds me of snake candy. Yum.

10. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Maybe people just got confused...of course we can survive without twinkies snack cakes, but the world really would be coming to an end if twinks were not going to be made anymore... :eek: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. canuck

I love that you are outraged by snack cakes yet love a poptart cat enough to use it as your avatar :slight_smile: Mmm poptart

12. Emberstone

not outraged by a snack cake, just the people who are acting like the world is ending because twinkies wont be made anymore (even though other brands have been making basically the same thing for decades). I am outraged by people stockpiling them, and selling 5 dollar boxes on ebay for 200 bucks, and outraged by people biding on thoe 200 dollar boxes of twinkies...

it makes me hope that the Mayans were right, because I really dont think I want to live on this planet anymore.

13. ameliawesome

I remember Twinkies being tasty, but they hurt my throat :/

Also, I just learned that my phone's predictionary comes with the word Twinkies.

14. starfish

I'm sure someone else will buy the brand and continue making them. I do like twinkies, I only eat them a couple of times a year. If they go away it will be disappointing, but it will hardly be a tragedy.

I can't see spending what people are spending on them. Though it does make me think I should have bought some when I heard. Could have made a few bucks.

15. revi

revi Guest

I knew but I didn't care, and even if I did you do realize they will probably sell the rights to someone else and if they don't so what.

16. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yes it's like get over it already, who cares I for one don't need to be eating sweets anyways , and there are still plenty of sweets still around not a big deal at all and the eBay thing is so stupid .

17. vyvance

Never had one, so I won't miss them.

18. TheSquirrels

TheSquirrels Guest

I think it depends on how you're viewing it. On one hand, it's an iconic brand name that's going down, so people are seeing it as reflective of the economy, the idea that an icon itself is dying. I'm sure there's also the nostalgia factor, the idea that people enjoyed it, and it will no longer be a thing.

As for the craziness, I think it's not really unexpected. I think some people maybe just love twinkies THAT MUCH and want them before they're gone. Other people see this as an investment strategy; there are people who will probably want twinkies even after they're gone, and might pay money for them. I think the fact that they are perishable is probably what's setting the price so high.

Personally, I don't think I've ever actually had a twinkie, so I'm sad that I'll never get to try one, but I also don't care enough to go out and look for one, so whatever.

19. All Star

All Star Guest

Thread title is exactly how I feel.. my phone was blowing up with texts, "No more Twinkies" And I'm like "GTF over it!" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Besides, they were gross anyway.

20. Tim

Tim

I would have done it too.

The CEO tripled his salary from 800k to 2.4 million, while they were considering bankruptcy. 8 other executives also got quite a huge raise.

As for the topic, the generic brands still exist. You're nuts if you think they're disappearing. I like having a Little Debbie every now and then.

I'm not a big fan of Hostess, to be perfectly honest. They're already announcing they're selling off their brands to other companies. I expect Little Debbie to pick up the twinkie, at the very least.