1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a relationship

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by whereisthelove, Nov 18, 2012.

1. So I have come to the realization that something will never come about with my best friend (straight as straight can be). This really gets me down because, hey, he's the best guy on the face of the planet! But I know there has to be someone just as good out there for me too, and I think it's time I really tried meeting him. The problem is, I have no idea where to look and am still for the most part in the closet. What is the best way for me to find a guy who is actually interested in me (websites?...)? I don't want to say I am desperate for an amazing relationship, but I kinda am.

Any advice would be great, thanks! :smilewave

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My thing is that, if you really like a guy but he's just not into you (straight or otherwise)...then he's really not all that perfect for you. Unless your "perfect boyfriend" involves someone you're not in a relationship with, ever. :slight_smile:

We can't list specific websites here, but there are decent ones and bad ones. In general, if the site allows nude pictures in people's profiles, it's probably going to be a lot harder to meet someone for a relationship on it. If you have to pay to be a member - even just a small fee - it will probably be easier to meet someone looking for a relationship.

I don't know how closeted you are, but if there are any lgbt groups in your area you would be comfortable joining, that would be another good idea. Meeting more gay people will never hurt if you're looking to date one of them.

Overall, though, if you're desperate for an amazing relationship, that may make it harder to actually meet someone. The more you need something from someone, the more they'll pick up on that and (possibly) be turned off by it. If you can't be someone's friend, a relationship is gonna be tough.

3. I want to start off by saying thanks for responding to my post.

It's been hard accepting that my friend can't be any more than a friend. Everyday I still wish I could be with him but am coming to see that it will never happen, and you're right, that doesn't make him a match for me.

I can understand about the website; all that makes sense. I'm still pretty closeted too. Only 3 people know or at least have an idea about my sexuality. I like to keep a private life, but also think that, for now, it would be best to "act straight". (Although I already act pretty straight but just really want a relationship with a great guy!) :grin: I will be going to a university next year and will be able to "start fresh" so to speak and be more open about myself with new people.

Trust me, I completely understand. I can't imagine using a relationship with someone to get over someone else, but at the same time think that being in a relationship with someone who has the capacity to love me will be the only way to progress personally and emotionally. I'm not just doing it for the relationship, and I think it should take a lot of time to build up from a friendship to something more. But finding someone I can relate to who I CAN move forward with if things work out, that must be my next step.

Thanks again for the advice, you were very helpful! Let's just see what happens as time goes on! :wave: