1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alcohol + You = Flamboyance?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lava421, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Lava421

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've heard that alcohol can turn a seemingly-straight-man gay. I'm in the closet, so this makes me concerned about ever drinking.

Does anybody have any information about this? Perhaps personal experiences?

2. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    I think it really depends on your personality and alcohol tolerance level. I'm somewhat reserved so alcohol doesn't really affect my "straightness level" too much...it just makes me not really able to walk.

If I were you, I'd try first drinking/getting drunk alone or with a small group of friends you can trust and seeing if it affects your personality then.

And just for the record, I'm not endorsing underaged drinking in any way *cough**cough*.

3. step49x

I'd love to give you some advice on this, but a) I've never been drunk, and b) I've never done any research on this topic.

I've heard that it can make you say and do things that you'de never say or do otherwise (no matter if you're straight or gay), so I'd at least be careful about that.

4. Micah

suburbs_of_sodom was correct in that it affects everyone in different ways. For most, i've found its just an amplification of someone's normal personality. For me, I think it does cause me to act a little more that way - but I only get drunk around gay people, so that could possibly be the cause.

If you're really worried about it, I can think of two things:

Either drink around someone who knows, and ask them how you act. Or avoid getting smashed. Tispy shouldn't affect you too much. But its truely difficult to tell how you will react to alcohol.

5. Yeah, I just get really sleepy when and after I drink alcoholic beverages.

6. LorenzG1950

As Dave already mentioned, alcohol can amplify aspects of your personality. In other words, you become less inhibited, more likely to not give a shit, and perhaps, more affectionate (That's true for me). Other folks get sleepy or even aggressive.

If you're in the closet, test the alcohol consumption slowly to begin finding out how you react. Otherwise you might be out of the closet faster than planned.

As for alcohol turning people gay, I wish it were true:lol: I have this straight guy I really like and would love to buy him a few drinks if it were that easy. That would open up all kinds of new possibilities:icon_wink .

Lorenz

7. Lava421

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'll clarify my post: by "seemingly-straight-man" I meant gay but not flamboyant.

8. LorenzG1950

Ok. From my observations at the local gay bars, after a few beers or around closing time, there is more kissing, hand-holding, and the tendency to go home with someone you might barely know. Alcohol tends to make your date look better than he or she actually is.

So I guess the advice is not to get too drunk in a mixed crowd (or anytime you are looking to make new friends or develop serious relationships).

Alcohol and other drugs cloud your judgement and certainly could release the "hidden" you. But that can be fun in moderation, with the right crowd.:icon_smil

Lorenz

9. Cam

Cam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    From what ive experienced if u drink enough u dont remember neway and may do things that you may not otherwise but remember u can always use the excuse of 'I was drunk!'
    I have seen other guys(straight) be more friendly with hugs and kissing but nothing else when they get drunk.
    Saying that i have come out to like 4 people when i was drunk and a couple didnt even remember the next day lol
    It can help ur confidence and yer makes alot of people more flamboyant, some tell everyone that they love them, some get argumentative, some go to sleep etc

10. Cloud Nine 5

How old you are?

Drinking shouldn't be that serious unlessl you overdo it. I get drunk often and I still know that I shouldn't say too much and just get a little tipsy. It's not that big of a deal seriosuly.

11. Micah

Alcohol affects people differently. The same goes for different quantities. For some, they can drink everyone under the floor and still only feel tispy, where as the skinnier people like myself get hammered from like 3 drinks (cheap drunks :slight_smile:)