1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you say when anti-gay people claim they're the victims?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by runallday4, Nov 19, 2012.

1. runallday4

runallday4 Guest

A lot of the time I don't even know how to react to this. The most recent thing I saw was Marco Rubio claiming that conservatives were being silenced for their anti-marriage equality views. In addition to this though, I've heard people complain that they're being called bigots for not liking gay people... What do you say to a person like this? Are they just too conceited to see that they're not the real victims?

"Sorry I dislike the fact that you're trying to take away my rights..."

2. everett

I just ignore them because anyone with a brain can see that this is just a last resort to fight back. It is a sign also that we the LGBTQS world are making massive moves towards a better future!

3. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This statement always pisses me off , they act like we are trying to silence them or we have war on religion , to think we have to be tolerant of their meana and hateful words, like we have to respect their right to be bigoted hateful people, its so insane.

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Its really hard. Today I had someone tell me "I just think we should all respect each others opinions" and it took everything I had in me not to go crazy on the poor girl.

People who say that truly believe that they are victims, and in a sense they are victims. They are losing part of their privilege and they are starting to be part of a minority which is a scary process for any majority. Just look at how people will continue to react with hatred to immigrants.

What I tend to do is smile, explain how its not just an opinion and that said opinions impacts my daily life, and explain to them how it affects you. Make it personal, tell your bad stories, remind them that we can get fired or kicked out of our homes for being gay (many people don't know), tell them about police and judges turning a blind eye to hate crimes, tell them about how things are in Uganda. Make it as personal as you can. The more they know the harder is for them to keep their views. You won't convince them to change their minds, but it will be a tiny push for them.

Now, if you aren't in the mood to educate then just walk away and tell them to educate themselves. Try to ignore the idiots.

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I tell them that they are not the victims but the victimizers.

6. SkyDiver

I don't say anything, I just laugh.

7. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That's a totally amazing way to handle it , I will put it to use next time I encounter someone who thinks they are a victim.

8. redstormrising

that was precisely my response when i read the title of this thread :icon_bigg

9. CamaroBlack

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Lets see what the president has to say about this.

[​IMG]

But no seriously I'd just laugh it off too.

10. Waterlilly

I say, how does my having basic rights diminish yours.

11. Fvantom

they're calling themselves the victims because they can no longer push their beliefs on somebody. Some religions define marriage as between a man and a woman, but marriage doesn't belong to one church or one religion. If your religion forbids same sex marriage, that's perfectly fine, but don't tell others that they can't marry because its against your beliefs.

12. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    EXACTLY! That's what's I always say.

13. AAASAS

Because they are fucking deluded and don't even know what the fuck hardship is.

I am in the closet, but if I heard someone say this I WOULD FUCKING FLIP. And I think a lot of heterosexuals would flip too. It is just ridiculous

I CANNOT EVEN EXPLAIN IT TO YOU BECAUSE IT IS A PART OF HUMANITY I HAVE NO FUCKING COMMONALITY WITH.

I can only see someone ever saying this in a joking manner, and cannot even imagine how someone could say that seriously with a straight face without feeling like a complete fucking moron.

14. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I always ask them how we are causing them problems.
    Usually the answer is one of the following:
    They're scared of the unkown > they can't help thinking about dirty gay sex, which is their problem not ours.

They're misinformed and think churches will be forced to marry gay couples or something similar. Once again their problem.

Because they mistakenly they aren't allowed to be against it. Once again their problem.

Usually it's very easy to correct someone on these misconceptions, were it not that most of these people won't listen to reason.

15. fleetingwells

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    [​IMG]

^ That's what I'd do.

16. IanGallagher

It's a last ditch effort. Just call them out for it. That means you've won.

17. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

[​IMG]

18. TheSeeker

[SARCASM]I'd prefer to make it a self-fulfilling prophecy... Their argument is infinitely more believable when you're kicking them in the ribs.[/SARCASM]

But seriously, just pure derision is my answer. "I'm the vicitim"... "No, but you are obviously crazy". Religion is the most insidious force in our world today. It has to potential to mislead intelligent people and completely blind stupid ones. F*ck all of it. No "God of love" would condone constantly causing such pain.

Atheistically yours,

The Seeker

19. timo

Luckily I've never encountered someone saying this. I'd probably laugh at their ignorance and stupidity, then walk away.

Also, this:

20. Lewis

Bullshit.