1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you still be you if you weren't queer?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Delta, Nov 20, 2012.

?

Would you still be you if you weren't queer?

1. Yes, I would.

41 vote(s)
    41.8%
  2. No, I wouldn't.

57 vote(s)
    58.2%
  1. Delta

So, the question's been posed before "if you had a choice, would you choose to be gay?" and for a lot of us the answer was yes. I started thinking about why I said yes, and for me, it was because being a lesbian is a big part of who I am as a person, and I don't think I could be straight and still be me. If I were straight, I'd be just fine, but I wouldn't be the person I am now. I'd be similar to myself, but very much not me. The way it's affected my life has made me into the person I am today, and without it, I wouldn't be me.

So how about you? If you were straight, would you still be yourself? Is being queer just a small facet of you? Or is it a bigger part of you, and without it you wouldn't be the same? Speak.

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Yes? I don't see why I wouldn't be the same.

3. Alexander69

I mean yes I would chose to be gay the question confused me I thought you meant would I still be me personality wise lol!

4. IanGallagher

I'm bisexual, with a leaning towards women... so, yeah. As to my fight for minority rights - that doesn't come from being queer, rather that comes from being a very invisible still minority: adoptees. By "law" I can never know my parents, nor my family's medical history, I can never know if anyone in my family had a mental disorder and if so at what onset age did it begin, basically I can never know a single thing. So that's what fuels my fight for standing up for minority rights and bullshit laws lol. I was born into it.

5. Delta

No, Alexander, you got it right. I was asking if you would be the same personality wise.

6. musicgeek13

musicgeek13 Guest

I think I would definitely be a different person but that hasn't stopped me from wishing I wasn't gay. But it's definitely a big part of who I am and how I act, etc. I think it's just the accepting that that is the hardest part.

7. Deaf Not Blind

i am transgender, so how i answer it is if i was somehow in right body. like the body i have been born into, if i thunk like a girl 100%,well then i would have a different mind and personality. if i was born male bodied i would think similar to now being me, not somebody else, but my life experiences would be somewhat altered so it would affect personality. so either way if i were not Queer I would not be me, 100% as i am now.

8. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I wouldn't be the same. Being gay isn't all that I am, but at the same time it is a very large part of my personality and influences how I see things in life. I love having a "gay" perspective. Had I been straight, I'd probably have a different view and outlook on life.

9. Hazel

I would have all the hobbies I have now and without a doubt almost all the same core and important beliefs. I grew up being more quiet and reflective in person because I imitated my father. I grew up being interested in how things work and figuring that out with my hands because I had a brother who loved to take apart computers and games, and I imitated him. And so forth.

I'd still be me. When I think about my identity, my sexuality doesn't even come into the picture. I'm probably in the vast minority there.

10. MichaelB

I'd still be me more or less I think.

My sexuality isn't who I am, it's just a part of me. To me it's like asking, would I still be me if I didn't have my chocolate brown eyes but instead had blue? The answer would probably be yes, of course I'd still be me. :slight_smile:

11. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Deffinitely not. I've become so much more.. mellow, sort of. I don't know why, but it has really changed me. I'm no where near the same person I was a year ago before I started questioning. I'd still rather be straight, but I honestly kind of like myself better this way. Feels more like me.

12. vyvance

Yes. I would still just go to class, then come home and and do homework/play video-games till time for class again.

13. FashionDisaster

No, I don't think that I would be the same person.

There was a lot of suffering and having to come to terms with my parents' beliefs not being right that went into my accepting myself. Without these experiences I don't see that I could have become the person that I am today. I think that I would have been a much shallower and less caring person were I not gay.

14. aeva

I didn't even realize I was attracted to women in the slightest til mid-high school, so most of my formative years were spent thinking I was straight. While it is a part of my current identity, it hasn't really shaped so much of my past that I think I would be any different if I were straight. I grew up in an extremely liberal, LGBT-loving family so I think I would be just as accepting of and interested in the community as I am now, even if I wasn't gay myself.

15. Hard Candy

Hard Candy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I guess not. Frankly, I don't even like who I am right now.

16. Lewis

I could lie and say yes, but being gay has shaped me into the person I am today. If I were straight I'd have probably lived an easy and naive life, not fully understanding LGBT individuals at all. I'd probably be having a lot of crushes and going on dates (because it would be acceptable for me to do so) and living life as I wished.

Regardless of being gay or not, I would find something else to complain about! I'd be on another forum looking for advice on other matters most likely. I know I'd be a much less open-minded, free-spirited individual though.

17. Capichino

Yes it's part of who I am

18. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

NO!

I have always been GAY, but because of society, family, and friends always talking about how EVIL, and DISGUSTING, and people like that ALWAYS go to HELL. I have always thought and believed I was some terrible MONSTER that should have been never been born.

So with that in mind I have always tried to be kind and generous and helpful to others, hoping against hope to just be able to sneak into HEAVEN, when I always knew I never could.

If I wasn't queer, I wouldn't be me.

nuff said :wink:

19. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I wouldn't be. I feel like I would be a totally different person.

20. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I definitely wouldn't be. Even though I've only known for less than a year, that year has changed me so much that it's almost hard for me to believe I'm the same person as before. And most of this change was an indirect result of me being queer. Had I been straight, the most emotionally challenging things wouldn't have happened.