1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transgender Day of Remembrance

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by J Snow, Nov 20, 2012.

1. J Snow

Hello everyone. Today is TDOR, and I just thought it seemed appropriate to have a thread to commemorate to the transgender people who have lost their lives due to suicide or murder.

To everyone out there, be they trans or cis, I would encourage you to try to find out if there may be any activities for TDOR in your area. I will be attending a candle light vigil this evening for it. If anyone else has any related plans, or knows of any activities for it, feel free to share.

Also, I would like to encourage anyone who may know a trans individual who lost their life over the past year, to dedicate a post to them and their story.

#1 J Snow, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  2. Gallatin

My uni's LGBT organization is holding a candlelight vigil tonight, but unfortunately I'll be in the middle of driving home for Thanksgiving break when it's going on, or else I would've gone.

Regardless of my inability to make the vigil, I'll be keeping the transgender community in my thoughts, and also the friends and families of those who have lost their lives.

3. NikkiPardus

Iowa state will be having an event as well. I'll be at the vigil with J Snow. but just stating that there are other events in the central Iowa area for anyone who may be interested in attending

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am very sorry for how much you folks have been made to suffer and fear! There do not appear to be events in my area, and I don't know anyone openly trans* in my area who I can support. Your inner strength and determination to be yourselves should serve as an inspiration to all the rest of us.

5. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Our office on campus is hosting a candlelight vigil which I am attending.

Here is a link to a place that has some events listed. Note they don't have all of them, but its a good start to look for them.

Here is a list of some trans* people who has been killed in the past year due to transphobia. The descriptions of how they were killed can be triggering so proceed with caution!

Keeping everyone that had been taken from us in my thoughts.

6. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There weren't any events in my area, but I'll be keeping all those who have been lost in my thoughts. It really puts things in perspective. I'm lucky to have supportive family and friends. Those who don't get that are really at risk and I just want anyone in that position to stay safe and healthy.