1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is your occupation?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Juggalo, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Juggalo

Alternatively, what kind of job do you see yourself getting once you are out of school?
    I'm curious.
    I work in quality insurance, myself. Have, have, HAVE to make sure things get done right or I flip. Perfect job for me.

2. aeva

Vet-Tech

I've worked with animals for 8 years (since I was 12), and I love it more than anything in the world. It can be physically, psychologically and emotionally exhausting, but I'd never want to do anything else.

3. CTJ

CTJ

I work in a supermarket, i have to deal with idiot customers everyday who are either too stupid to read a sign or too lazy to look for something. I recently became a supervisor as well, so now i have to deal with lazy staff who cut corners and moronic managers who think i can do 5 peoples jobs at once as well as having to work late without pay to make sure the next day wont be a ball ache for whoever is on the shift. (i had a bad day at work yesterday, can you tell?)

I need a new job.

4. DanD

I studied at a college in London and passed every exam to be a drum kit teacher. I used to teach, and did great, but now I work for a supermarket for 20% of what I was on per hour :frowning2:

Every band I joined just used me to record an album for free; the music industry is in shambles, and I'm best off out of it, although, I do feel I have a serious natural ability to play drums to a high standard.

Deep down I'm hoping that I'll gain a publishing deal from my novel, I cannot add the title here as Google will index the word and make it searchable, with a link to EC :icon_sad:

I hope everyone is working on something they enjoy, or can, at least, think of something they enjoy whilst working.

5. Monmon

Monmon Guest

Those customers are not really stupid, maybe they are just in a hurry and don't have time to read the sign. Don't be too negative.

6. DanD

I know where CTJ is cumming from. I'm timed in my job, and when I have to help a customer find something it looks bad on my ability to do my job properly. So less customers needing help = better for the staff.

I know it shouldn't be this way, but unless we, collectively, with all of our finances and brain power can create a new superstore (probably can't call it 'GayStore, or QueerMarket') we have to do as we're told by management.

I really find it difficult to say 'Is there anything else I can help you with?' to each customer who asks where something is, but it's part of the minimum wage job. :eusa_doh:

Is it possible to have a gay shop selling the same stuff to gay people - surely nobody would ever complain; just a huge amount of hugs for getting their order right. :icon_bigg

7. BudderMC

Forensics engineer - I suppose that's a fitting job for my degree.

Otherwise, I'd almost hope for something that has to do with explosives, I've learned enough thermodynamics I'm sure I could...

8. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

dance instructor/dancer and receptionist at a yoga studio.

Thinking of trying to get into creative writing.

@DanDavies I did work in that "gay" grocery store once, it was near the gay district and most of the management was gay men. It was pretty good actually :slight_smile:

9. TraceElement

I'm a habilitation counselor in a group home for the developmentally disabled. I basically help them with self care tasks, cooking, cleaning, and helping them with goals to help them become more independant.

10. Hexagon

Lazy prat

11. santaberry

I work at a stabilization unit for children (6-17) whose living situation needs to be improved. Maybe their parents are abusive and they need to find a foster home. Maybe their parents can't handle them because they're out of control and they need therapeutic foster care or to be referred with other institutions. Maybe they're just suicidal and they need help readjusting their thoughts and being more positive before being released back to their guardian. We get a lot of those. We have a director and a secretary and two therapists but then the rest are us the RA's. We do it all for them, even have group sessions and when the therapists aren't there we have to assess new clients ourselves and call them once we have all the paperwork filled out to see if they should be admitted into our facilities.

12. Kat kanu

Im a cosplay model its actually a lot of fun I meet New people and try new things but im in college to for culinary arts

13. CTJ

CTJ

They had enough time to stand and argue over it.

The sign clearly stated that one certain product was on offer, not all similar products. So i seem unreasonable when i have to politely explain why theyre wrong. Its hard not to be negative when 90% of customers treat you like shit, no one likes grocery shopping and it always feels like the workers who get the brunt of it.

It is fun though, to work out ways of being rude to similarly rude people while still giving the appearance of outward politeness.

14. prism

Currently I'm doing a lot of work in accounting. I work for a government agency and have been offered a full time job, but it's definitely not what I want to do with my life.
    Hopefully I'm going to USAF Officer Training School after I graduate. :slight_smile:

15. Motov

I am currently disabled with Parkinson's Disease.
    My former life was a machine operator for various factories.

16. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a student journalist.

17. Motov

I have in my past worked at places where you had to deal with customers, I quickly discovered when you get a customer who is out to make everyone's day darker,is to never :eusa_naug allow them to darken yours. In many cases they get angry then leave. I discovered by not allowing them to own your emotions, you look better to the other customers.

18. TheSeeker

Wow, there are some awesome occupations here! All over the spectrum... Much like our orientations!

Budder, Forensics Engineer sounds legitimately badass...

Ok so my chosen occupation is...

PARK RANGER
    *Yes, come my animal friends!*

I love my job and it has taken me all over the country. The only difficulty is the fact that all of my jobs up to this point have been seasonal and you have to apply every 6 months. It's a little nerve-racking because it is really competitive.

This is about to change however, since I just got back from a 2-year stint in the Peace Corps. Peace Corps gives you a preference similar to what veterans get regarding federal hiring, but it only lasts for a year. I should know in the next month whether or not I scored a permanent position. *crosses fingers*

Sorry for the long winded answer!

-The Seeker

19. timo

I'm a third year student, urban planning and design. Hopefully I'll find a job in this field once I'm done w/ uni, but the current economic situation doesn't really help. I'll probably end up in a supermarket or clothes store for the first few years.

20. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I extend you my hopes, TheSeeker!

I'm a Computer Systems Analyst (fancy way of saying programmer).