1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really ticked off

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alexander69, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Alexander69

Ok so my friend she aske me for fashion advice so I've been giving it to her. So I show her what to buy and then she goes "it's not really me it's over the top" I'm like fashion is meant to be over the top like it looks good that way, I showed her a fur coat and she's like "eh it alright" I'm like its freaking amazing! She's like "I'd rather buy a juicy track suit" I'm like are you serious! UGHH!

2. Monmon

Monmon Guest

Isn't that annoying? She only asked you for advice, so she would know what not to get. I have an unfashionable friend and she totally does the same. Next time lie to her. :slight_smile:

3. Alexander69

LOL I know like WTF! Well she models so she knows how to look good but like really? He only does bikini modeling that's it like I'm trying to help you out here! It's a fur coat it looked so good on her!UGH

4. Monmon

Monmon Guest

Not all models are fashionable. There are some that don't even have the looks. I've seen plenty. They come in all sorts of variety. There's even an agency for short guys. Unless your friend is a supermodel, she still need your help.

5. Alexander69

LOL yes she needs my help she's more like a playboy bunny type ahah

6. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

You need to take into account her own sensibilities here when it comes to fashion. You might think fashion is meant to be over-the-top, but clearly that's not what she thinks. Half of pulling off a look is putting the outfit together in a way that works, but the other half is owning it, i.e. wearing it proudly. If she thinks something like a fur coat is over-the-top, she's not going to own it when she's wearing it, so why bother? Better for her to wear something she feels comfortable in, or something that she likes to wear, or something that she thinks she looks good in, than something that you think looks good that she doesn't enjoy wearing. A guy wearing jeans and a t-shirt and walking down the street with confidence will always look better than the same guy walking down the street in an outfit that isn't him, no matter how good that outfit may be.

If your friend asks you for advice again, your best bet is to ask her what she likes wearing, what she feels confident in, and work off of that. And when she's trying things on, pay more attention to what makes her say, "I like this!" than what make you say, "I like this!"

7. Sherri

As if fashion means a thing if she doesn't like it. Pretty much exactly what Owen said. If you insist on bringing this girl up to being "fashionable", at least listen to what she's saying so that you can dress her in such a way that you both like it. I feel for her, not you. You're being insensitive. I wouldn't want to dress in a fur coat either. Try giving her a simple and elegant look that she'll actually like. Show her how certain cuts and colors flatter the awesome figure she must have, and once she sees the results in the mirror, she'll be more likely to follow what you're saying. Fashion isn't all about being over-the-top and loud. A lot of it is about taking basics and wearing them in such a unique fit/shape that they flatter your innate shape and you are simply stunning to behold, moreso than those who just wore loud clothing.

8. NikkiPardus

I second both of the post above me on this one! very good statements. took all the words out of me mouth :3

9. Monmon

Monmon Guest

Or maybe not, if she keeps rejecting your advice, then let her do it herself, see how she would look like.

I had a friend once who wears his pants saggy bottom, he intentionally pulls it down even though it's a low waisted pants, just so his underwear would show. I pulled his pants up, but he pulled it back down, in his defense, he said it looks funky. So we went out, and I kept pretending not to be embarrassed by him, and later on, a fashion police came to us and wrote him a ticket. If he had listened to me, he wouldn't have spent hours in lecture.

10. Alexander69

It's just hard she's really pretty blonde and bleached hair and tanned skin skinny an toned! Like ugh I can work with that!

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of the things I've learned about advice: You offer it up, and you let go of attachment you have to it. It's up to the people you give it to whether they take it or not.

What you can do, though, is quit giving advice to people who never take it. If they persist, tell them, "Look, I've offered advice and you don't seem to like it, so it's a waste on both parts for me to give you advice that doesn't fit for you."

On the actual issue of fashion... no, fashion isn't inherently meant to be "over the top." High fashion, maybe, but in my book, that's some of the absolute ugliest stuff ever created. So there's fashion that's ridiculous and draws attention, fashion that's classy (which, again has no correlation to how much it cost), fashion that's "shabby chic" and all sorts of other things. Your senibilities sound like they're different than hers, so if you want to be helpful, find out the kind of looks she enjoys, and help her find something similar.

That's one of the things that's amazing about Tim Gunn; he can work with whatever style or look someone is used to and come up with something lovely and classy and really sharp looking, regardless of the style or genre they like.

12. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pretty much this!

At the end of the day, your friend will wear the clothes not you. Once you give your suggestions or advice, you have done your job. The rest is up to her. There is no need for you to get ticked off, or angry. :slight_smile:

That said, and it is something to keep in mind:
    If she doesn't like the fur coat, she doesn't like it.
    If she doesn't like 'over the top' fashion, she doesn't like it.

With that in mind, and if she asks for a suggestion: try to base your suggestions on what she likes, and see how she reacts to that.

13. Alexander69

For men I would go for a classy look I like that to know leather gloves, black wool coat or leather, dress shoes, jeans or dress pants, hair done nicely that's what catches my eye. For woman it's different I go over the top helping them dress idk why it's so weird! Like fur coats Chanel boots, classy hats, any thing over the top. I love art I love fashion. I love this one outfit in "the devil wears Prada" the white on [​IMG] it's so beautiful and classy

14. starfish

I'v spent a fair amount of my professional career as a consultant. A lesson I learned the hard way was that I was designing solutions for the client not my self.

I lost a really good client once because I implemented what I wanted because I thought I was too good to implement what they wanted and really needed. In hind sight I should have listened to them, they would have been happier and I would have a nice success to add to my cv.