1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think about gay jokes?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SheWhoHasNoName, Nov 22, 2012.

?

What do you think about gay jokes?

1. They're offensive

22 vote(s)
    26.2%
  2. They're funny!!!!

27 vote(s)
    32.1%
  3. I don't care

35 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. SheWhoHasNoName

Ex. What do you call a gay dentist?

A tooth fairy!!!

:roflmao::roflmao:

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have enough people who hate my sexual orientation without also having them turn me into a joke. Merci.

3. Monmon

Monmon Guest

funny and clever. post some more!

4. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Hahah i've never heard that one. i think they're funny. what do you call a lesbian dinosaur? a lickalotapuss.

5. SheWhoHasNoName

:roflmao:

---------- Post added 22nd Nov 2012 at 01:40 PM ----------

What do you call a gay boxer?

Fruit Punch!

---------- Post added 22nd Nov 2012 at 01:40 PM ----------

What do you call a gay Ginger?

Flaming.

---------- Post added 22nd Nov 2012 at 01:41 PM ----------

What do you call a gay dinosaur?

Mega-saur-ass

Why can't gays drive faster than 68mph?

Because at 69 they blow a rod.

What do you call a gay cowboy?

A Jolly Rancher!

---------- Post added 22nd Nov 2012 at 01:42 PM ----------

Gay Jokes - Homosexual Jokes

6. Monmon

Monmon Guest

ew! you sicko! lol!
    How do 5 gay guys walk? in one direction

7. SheWhoHasNoName

:roflmao:

8. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

hahah im literally loling at these

9. Monmon

Monmon Guest

Why did the gay guy kept hitting his head? because he can't walk straight.

10. Mogget

Every time you tell a gay joke, there's a closeted homophobe thinking "yeah, he gets what those faggots are like" and a closeted gay person thinking "I can't be sure it's safe to come out here."

11. Bree

I know straight jokes, gay jokes, Canadian jokes, American jokes, Chinese jokes, Christian jokes, etc. etc. etc. There's nothing wrong with making light of something as long as you don't focus exclusively on one group--do you think any comedian has been successful without ever mocking anyone?

Your own quote makes a reference to gay stereotypes, and it's awesome! As I keep telling a woman I know--lighten up! The whole world isn't out to get you!

On that note--what's the difference between a teapot and a gay man? (makes "I'm a little teapot" hand motions) Not much!

#11 Bree, Nov 22, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  12. Mogget

Making jokes about different subcultures is a dangerous thing. I vastly prefer humor that's based on the innate human condition. However, when a joke is told about a subculture, it's very important to consider the power differential. That is, is the joke being told by the oppressed about their oppressors*, by the oppressors about the oppressed, by a member of the same group it's about, or by two groups that have no real connection?

Gay jokes fit either the second or third category. Always, people either have straight privilege or they don't. When they fit the second category they are inherently offensive, when they fit the third they can be problematic if they play on certain stereotypes.

Gay jokes reinforce homophobia**. They make it seem more acceptable, and this is even true when they're told ironically (i.e. being made with the understanding that they don't "really" hold that belief). I don't necessarily find them offensive, but I do find them contemptible.

*"Oppression" shouldn't be taken literally. It's a shorthand for talking about having or lacking power or privilege.

**And jokes about women reinforce sexism and misogyny.

13. kem

kem

I joke about myself and gays all the time... So do my friends, and I'm okay with it because I know they aren't really homophobic.

14. Fvantom

I think most of them are funny, as long as they're used in good humour, as opposed to making the jokes purely as an insult. My blunt opinion is that if you are offended by a gay joke, simply because it makes fun of gay people, you're not secure enough about your sexuality. Being insulted by a joke when the person telling it is trying to make gays look bad and trying to insult people, that's different, but to me its about tone.

That being said....Two condoms are walking down the street and they pass a gay bar, one condom says to the other "Do you want to go inside and get shitfaced?"

15. Mogget

I've posted this article again, but it has relevance here: Intent! It's Fucking Magic!. This passage is about race jokes, but applies equally well to gay jokes:

Emphasis added because that last line is the most important. Gay jokes create an environment where homophobia is seen as more acceptable. It doesn't matter what your intent is when you tell them.

16. GreenSkies

GreenSkies Guest

I don't feel safe at all around people who make gay jokes, but I do think that there's a difference if the person making the joke is gay - I don't think I mind that as much.

Similarly, I find it hurtful when people make jokes about Jewish people, but I don't mind as much when it's someone like Jon Stewart because he's Jewish himself.

17. Hexagon

I'm not fond of them. As others have said, whatever the intent is, it makes homophobia more acceptable.

18. starfish

What about gay puns?

Did you hear about the Irish gay couple, Patrick Fitzgerald and Gerald Fitzpatrick.

19. Fvantom

hahaha, I usually don't like puns but that was pretty good.

20. sugarcubeigloo

I'm somewhere in between "I don't care," and "they're offensive." While I have a sense of humor, I'm just not sure it falls into what I find funny. I guess it also depends on who is telling it. If a homophobic person were making these jokes, I'd be offended. If the person making the joke is unassuming or gay themselves, I would definitely be on the "I don't care" side.