1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stress during the holidays...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by FishMan27, Nov 22, 2012.

1. FishMan27

Is anyone else a little stressed about the holidays?

My extended family doesn't know I'm gay, and every time something comes up in conversation about relationships or girls, no matter who it's directed at, I get really nervous. I think I want to just come out to them, but I don't know when/how. Also, my cousin's boyfriend is here, and we've met only once before so I don't want to make things awkward. (sigh)...

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I get stressed over the holidays but just because it's the busiest time of year at work. From pretty much Halloween until mid-January we're just in go go go mode.

3. FishMan27

Yeah, we finished up the big meal about half an hour ago. At supper, everyone started talking about the future when I'd have a wife and six kids and I'd be hosting Thanksgiving. I got really uncomfortable. I just wanted to get out of there so I'm upstairs now just trying to relax for a little while. I should probably head back down, but it's just kind of stressful. :frowning2:

4. Ticklish Fish

*hug*

I am so sorry to hear that.

5. Isabelle

I get stressed out in dec. due to a abuse I know what it's like to be stressed out

6. rday13

rday13 Guest

Yeah, I know how that feels.
    You will know when the time is right, if you want to come out to them at all.
    Maybe identify some stress 'triggers' and establish a coping mechanism to deal with them? There's some good stuff online that may help :slight_smile: Best of luck with the holidays.

7. Mej7

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel stressed about this sort of thing every time someone comes over - whether it's for the holidays or not - because everyone feels the need to talk about my "someday-boyfriend" and my "someday-wedding." But, even when I'm just at home with my Mom, who knows that I have a strong preference for girls, boys are always brought up - can't anyone take a hint? With people who I haven't told, it's stressful - with people I have told, it's just frustrating, and annoying. :/

8. HatterMad

My mom and I were in a car wreck during the holidays. I was thrown through the windshield and only survived on sheer luck alone. The car rolled over my arm and not my head. I landed on my shoulder and my face. Spent the holidays in the hospital with my jaw wired shut, having multiple surgeries and in casts. A short time after that my mother OD'd and died.

I don't really like this time of the year.
    It comes with a lot of stress for me.

9. IanGallagher

I definitely get it. Mine comes from feeling like I want my biological family to be here which results in guilt and then angst and then me feeling like an impostor among my adoptive family and pushing them away... yeah, it's not the best of times but rather the worst of times. Somehow throughout all this I love what the holidays means, just not the triggers it sets off lol.

10. aeva

My main source of stress is from having to cook!! And from visiting my dad and step-mom. It's only been 48 hours and I'm ready to go back home already.