1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is your kryptonite?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by IanGallagher, Nov 22, 2012.

1. IanGallagher

What is something about you that is extremely hard for you to open up about to people? Yeah, the recent episode of 'Glee' kind of inspired this thread but also because today I was soaked in my own kryptonite --

I'm adopted, I don't know my biological parents, and sometimes somethings can really trigger that grief off such as holiday get-togethers and my birthday. My family thinks I hide away on these occasions because I don't like being around them (or at least they joke about that) - truth is, for some reason it makes me feel more alone because it reminds me of the family that I'll never know.

Okay, now that that's over with - what is your kryptonite? (And it actually does help).

#1 IanGallagher, Nov 22, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  2. santaberry

I don't want anyone.

That's the lie I speak.

I do want someone. I just can't do it. I avoid rejection by not letting there be any chances of it. I feel GREAT about myself until it comes to physical things. I actually get sick over my body. I'm a big guy. I am fine with that. It's my skin, it's.... Everything. I can never picture myself with anyone because I don't feel like it is possible for anyone to be intimate with me. I'm not a depressed person. I don't get upset with it. It's worse. I have accepted it all. All my life. I want to dye my hair black, wear brown contacts, never have pale skin. I hate myself on the outside. Hate. Such a sad word. I've never told anyone this stuff. But I have always accepted me being alone forever. It doesn't make me sad. Promise. It just makes me sad that I am repulsed by what I was born as.

---------- Post added 22nd Nov 2012 at 07:53 PM ----------

That didn't help me. Now I'm just sick at work.

3. Alexander69

My kryptonite is hot men I have such a hard time controlling myself around men LOL I mean I do I just love men so much! So sexy and beautiful and strong! yum

4. theMaverick

I have the same problem. Because of my size, I have a hard time imagining that anyone would want me. I know I'm in a relationship, but I'm always afraid she'll reject me because of my body.

5. santaberry

It's honestly just everything wrapped around my size. I would like to be a little less big but it's who I am. The big funny guy. Intimidates kids at work too. That plus I'm tall.

6. theMaverick

I'd be okay being a big guy, but not THIS big. I wanna be able to look nice. I just look like a joke. I feel like a joke, too. I'd kill to be taller though.

But yea, I totally relate. I feel like I'd be really handsome and attractive if I lost X amount of weight.

7. santaberry

See I just want a different face and everything.

8. theMaverick

Now I'm willing to bet thats not necessary.

9. IanGallagher

There's someone for everyone. I can definitely relate to being surprised people want to be around me. (I'm bi) girls smile at me and I wonder - are they just being nice, why would they smile at a piece of trash like me? Which, yeah, really hurts to admit. BUT there are also those moments where I make those assumptions about people to only have those assumptions proven wrong by someone. So, yeah, while my mind might make me think I'm a reject (comes from growing up without my parents "what's wrong with me?") But in the end that's just my mind. It's not reality. Basically we are all our own worst enemies. The problem only has as much power over us as we let it.

I'm also a big guy, but not that big - just big kind of like the character Finn. And I also have appearance issues because of that. But, in the end I think a lot of people do. I think everyone has issues with their appearance - people think they're too big, too small, too fat, too skinny... I always looked at one of my skinny friends and wondered how cool it would be to be smaller than I am. But, then when we were driving home one night he said (albeit under the influence, the way he said it - I don't think he would have admitted otherwise and so out of the blue) that he was jealous of me because I have a bigger frame. Here I was jealous of him for being smaller, while he was jealous of me for being bigger.

Unsure if I got across the point I was trying to. But, often it's just in our heads. And the problems we have while huge apocalyptic scenarios to us - are mostly just in our heads. If you look at it in that way, then it becomes less of an apocalyptic scenario and something you can face -- if you look something in the eye it partly loses the effect it has over you. I'm a writer, so every problem I have is fuel and then it diminishes. Kind of like in those books about coming out to yourself which give tips such as "look in the mirror, say you're gay, and you'll soon come to accept it." I kind of went through something like that when I was accepting it after years of denial, "yeah, he is cute - nothing wrong with thinking that way." The more you verbalize something, the less powerful it becomes. Everything can be overcome.

#9 IanGallagher, Nov 22, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  10. Zontar

Admittedly, it's discussing people's first times (sexually). I instantly realize that I didn't have a normal development in that field or time of life and I fear I may never catch up. Whenever the conversation turns to sex or anything like that, I hot-foot it right the hell out of there. With the way I act when sex comes up, there's people who think I was molested.

11. musicgeek13

musicgeek13 Guest

Expectations kill me. mine and others of me. Whenever I don't exceed them, I feel like a complete failure. I have to remind myself to be proud of what I've done

12. HatterMad

I talk about a lot of my problems if asked, but there's one I avoid.

I'm unwanted.

13. Gen

Gen

I refuse to believe that. Regardless of how the people in your life many feel, you are already quite friendly, likeable, and articulate, especially to be so young. Dont ever let anyone thing that any about you is undesirable.

That ironically considering what I just posted above, as much as I try to help other people with insecurity and learning to love oneself, even my advice can undue the scarring I have had in my past. I'm a strong person, I know that, maybe if I had really lost my sanity I would be able to admit that my life hasnt been that easy. Gen is strong and doesnt allow things to bring him down, but things really havent been so peachy.

You know, I think I could have handled the father that would have rather had a "dead son than a gay son" and would have meant to stay true to his wrong had he had been existant in my life enough to access me. I probably could have mustered through the ultimately verbally abusive mother and exploitive sister. I could have dealth with the perfectionism and minor OCD tendencies. I swear I could, but all at once.. I mean, damn.

"But Gen tells everything to love themselves, guys, just the way you are!"

But no one knows the amount of tireless effort I put into my appearance. The hour I spend every other day in front of the mirror with a pair of scissors making sure that each respecting hair on my body is of an equal and respective length. The skin and teeth routines. The dilifent fitness and exercise. Oh, but it is all really healthy....atleast physically :thumbsup:.

And wanna know the funniest part? Or sad. Depending on what your opinion is of the twisted. Is that the reason why this post is so bathed in comical overtone is because I get too emotional because I have to go shopping with friends in an hour and the aftermath of tears doesnt suit me very well. God forbid, my tears effect my appearance.

But Gen doesnt have issues, everyone thinks that way.

I'm fine, I dont need help or advice. I love myself, I do. That is something that I preach because I do believe in it. But there are just some things that you cannot erase. I dont mean to be dramatic, but I do everything in my power to reach out to people because although I may be strong enough to just deal with it, at the end of the day, its not ok, and no should have to "deal" what I have been through.

14. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Opening up.. about feelings. When I need a friend to be there for me, I can't ask for help. Even if I had a bunch of supportive friends near me, I can't reach out. There have been times that I definitely should have asked for help but I didn't because I can't. It's hard for me to open up to those in real life about anything. I go with facts. Facts and thoughts are much easier to express than emotions. Then I laugh it off in front of them and change the subject. Like I can say with a matter-of-fact face that my stepdad died when I was ten. But to express how much that affected me emotionally is almost impossible (unless online). I can tell them about events or about my life in the moment but I can't tell them how depressed I've been lately. I struggle between wanting support and wanting to seem strong and not burden others with my vulnerabilities.

15. TallButShort

TallButShort Guest

I can totally relate to you midwestgirl

It's very hard for me to open up about my true feelings even to very close friends. Recently two family members passed away( I'll spare the details) and although everyone thinks it didn't hurt me I just couldn't tell them how sad it made me. When I try to talk to my friends about something personal I end up talking around it eventually.

Expressing my emotions. That's my kryptonite.

16. Fiddledeedee

It depends on how I'm feeling and who I'm around, though I am now a lot more open than I used to be. What is invariably hard for me to open up about, though, is something I don't particularly want to specify even here. So there. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. caramba2654

I'm socially awkward. I dunno how to start conversations, nor to keep them going on. And when I'm with my friends, I'm mute most of the time. And when I'm alone I listen to music in my iPod mini. Yes. Mini.

18. Nightmaric

Mine is absolutely opening up about feelings. I can count on one hand with one friend who I open up to. It's difficult for me because I am everyone and their mother's therapist. I can't open up about my feelings because I always feel weak and vulnerable and I hate that. I use my music to help me cope. I have severe lonliness issues after going years with no real friends. I just learned how to be a good friend and I have awesome friends, it's just I don't want to scare them away by opening up.

19. timo

I find it really hard to open up to pretty much anyone about pretty much everything. When I have some kind of problem I'd rather try to fix it myself than ask for help. These include things I encounter at work and at school but also emotional problems.

This also is the reason why I've only been able to come out full of liquid courage. It also includes this:
    If I don't open up to people I like, not even asking someone out, I can be sure there will be no rejection. Again - liquor helps. However even then I won't ask someone out because of fear of rejection.

20. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

Water, throw me into a pool or the lake and I will freak out. Afraid of drowning, therefore I never learned to swim.