1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BBC Article about Asexuality

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wandering i, Nov 23, 2012.

1. wandering i

BBC News - What is it like to be asexual?

Not only is the article interesting, but I remember a thread a while back in anonymous written by a young man distressed and upset by his asexuality. In this article there was mention of "hypoactive sexual desire disorder" which is the first time I've ever heard of it, and I thought it might be worth looking at for any asexuals who struggle with their orientation like that poster did.
    Of course I am not trying to insinuate anything about asexuality, just thought it was a good read and I learned something new, and thought it might be good to share.
    Best,
    wandering

2. Emulator

Thanks for this post. It gives an amount of insight into asexuality. Interesting that 1% of the UK is asexual.
    Being one myself I sometimes wonder why it's so, but I don't mind not having a sexual attraction to anyone. There's just no desire to do so, but yeah I do get the "that's kind of odd" feeling from some whom I've told.

3. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am fascinated by psychology, especially topics that affect me, so I would love to know why I'm asexual. Not out of any desire to change, but simply to understand my own brain. I have thought about someday, if I get the chance, sticking myself in an fMRI and watching sexual stuff, just to see how my brain reacts to that. But I'll probably need to work on my PTSD more first, or else I'd have a panic attack. (And that would certainly affect my fMRI results!)

4. Ohhai

Interesting...

5. timo

How could I have missed this when it was posted originally... I'll give it a read later tonight.

Haven't told anyone I'm probably asexual cause they most likely wouldn't understand it. And I do kind of mind it, cause it makes finding a meaningful relationship quite hard when the other 99% of gay guys are interested in having sex.

6. Harve

Such a good article.

What people don't seem to understand is how I can think 'yeah, that guy's hot' but not actually have the urge to have sex with anyone at all. Having anal sex is completely against my instincts whereas kissing someone I like feels completely natural to me. I realise that's not 'proper' asexuality but it's still a deviation from the norm all the same.

I'm willing to have sex if needs be because at the end of the day, it's not gonna do too much harm to me. I just can't promise I'll enjoy it.