1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Borderline messed up things my friends say..

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Neutrality, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Neutrality

Soo, I was riding with my friends the other day and they asked a couple questions about my mom not accepting me and one of them said " I don't know about yall but, I'd rather my child be gay then date a black person" and they all seemed to agree....Well they used the N word but, still...I live in the rural south so talk like that is not uncommon...and I guess I should be happy that my friends are more racist then homophobic =P...but...I don't know it just seemed weird to me...

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not offended, I never get offended by anything...I guess this just shocked me cause it was posed as a choosing between the lesser of two evils type thing, although I know my friends are 110% supportive of me and have even set me up on blind dates =P

2. LiquidSwords

That's not really borderline, that's incredibly racist. I'd tell my friends to shut up if they started talking like that.

3. Neutrality

Yes..yes it is, I was referring more to it being borderline homophobic though =P...I know that they aren't racist but, can say some pretty messed up racist sounding stuff.

4. Gen

Gen

I'm sorry, I dont mean to be arugmentative, but they certainly are racist. Radical prejudice groups are not the only people who categorize as racist. They may not be outwardly discriminatory or hateful, but it still holds true.

I'm not holding it against them, considering the environment and households they were raised in, but there obviously isnt complete social equality in their minds.

5. Neutrality

I think you just have to understand that it's different down here....I mean the one who said it's best friend is black....it's almost like they don't believe the things they say deep down, but occasionally they parrot stuff their parents said as they grew up.

6. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I can't even believe people still think like that.

7. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

My friends say the same kind of stuff. We have mutual friends who are black, but they still say racist things in a joking kind of way. Mind you these are the same people who are incredibly accepting of me being gay...

8. Gen

Gen

I did say that I do not hold it against them, I know how it can be down there. However, that is no different than the "I am not racist, I have a black friend excuse". Many people confuse racism/prejudice with demographical hate, but they are not the same. Racism/Prejudice doesnt mean the KKK. Its means looking at people differently, generalizations, racial inequality in ones mind.

Preference in the race of ones friends, childrens friends, childrens partners, neighbors, coworkers. Preference in anything other than other than something involuntary, such as attraction, is racist. Period. Its not all extreme. Its not always that bad, but it is still racism. It is not even psychologically possible to have a social preference, without having some preconceived judgement.

Again, I dont blaim them, but they are racist, atleast to some degree.

#8 Gen, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  9. Onyxknight

I don't think it's meant as a racist term anymore. Sure, it started that way, but in today's world, it has a different, and not necessarily bad, meaning. To me, at least. Not saying some people don't mean it badly, just that it doesn't have the same meaning for me.

10. Kidd

Kidd Guest

That's like the almost politically correct redneck meme...

[​IMG]

So close...but not quite there.

11. Neutrality

Yes!! This is my friends exactly! They really try to be caring and progressive but are just not quite there!

12. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What if you date a black guy? :eek:

13. Neutrality

I don't think they would really care as long as I was happy.

14. Juggalo

The only person I know in real life who says rascist things about black people is a black guy I work with.

15. theMaverick

I can't believe people still think that way. I don't hang around people with those kinds of attitudes.

16. ok455

I usually joke around with racial jokes. and so does my friends and acquaintances.

I remember one time i was hanging out with a old friend and her friends and they got on the knack of saying "Chicken Mcn*ggers. I am the only black guy at the table so i calmly paid for my meal and left. Its just so amazing how people don't use racial slurs for other races. but the N word still sticks i have a zero Torrance for that word if you say it on my facebook you quickly get deleted.

Racism is far from gone in this country we have a long way to go especially with the election. People were saying harsh things about The President election night you could honestly see how divided white and black people were.

#16 ok455, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  17. Bree

Yeah, saying that you'd rather your kid be gay than date a black person is pretty serious racism, however you look at it.

I've never heard anyone say anything against anyone of African decent up here, but there are only a handful of people. I think blacks are probably the second-least discriminated against group (beside caucasians). I have heard, however, no matter how "multicultural" Canada pretends to be, quite a few people refer to Vancouver as "Hongcouver" in reference to the Chinese population there. There's a lot of discrimination to people from Eastern Asia, and recently often flat-out distrust of people from the middle-east, which is frustrating given that it's just what the government wants us to believe.

Not much homophobia, though...and the homophobic ones keep their mouths shut. Discreet transphobia--people seem mostly positive up front, but I watched a visible MtF friend trying to find a job last summer. The only one she could get was a nasty night shift at a sleazy hotel.

18. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    that's racist as fuck & yr. friends are kinda horrible people

19. Bolin

Yeah, not borderline racist, that is racist. I still can't believe that I have to deal with racism and homophobia in this day and age.

Oh, the perks of me being both Black and gay. :rolle: I just think people need to grow up and get rid of their misconceptions and antiquated lines of thinking. And even if they are in private or with their friends, they need to think about what they say before they actually say it.