1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does gay pride mean to you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Eurinthe, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Eurinthe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've never understood gay pride. I feel like its some phase that I completely skipped. I hear about it, see it in pictures of pride parades, read about it in magazines and in the news, but I'm still unsure of what it means to be proud of being gay. To me, being gay is just a natural part of me, not any more unique than my ethnicity or the color of my hair, and I don't see how I could possibly take pride in any of that.

Can you guys help me understand what gay pride is? Or alternatively, what do you like most about being gay?

2. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    well the idea of gay pride parades are to show that being gay isn't bad/something to be ashamed of/etc. & idk, i like most things abt being gay

3. AaronG

AaronG Guest

I love being gay because it kinda makes me feel unique.people often ask me if I'd rather be straight and and I always answer no.being gay makes me and every other gay or lesbian or bisexual or transgendered person very special and wonderful and it's one of the few things about me that I would never change.

4. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Gay pride generally comes from the fact that we live in a society that tells us it isn't okay to be gay, that we should feel bad about ourselves just because we're gay. In a society like that, being gay and still liking yourself is an accomplishment. So that, in my mind, is where it comes from. Gay pride isn't really being proud to be gay so much as it is being proud of liking yourself in spite of the fact that the world around you says you shouldn't.

So if you didn't grow up with those homophobic cultural forces around you, then it's totally understandable that the idea would be foreign to you.

5. Hazel

I really only identify it as a sense of courage in the face of discrimination or threat.

I don't particularly like anything about my orientation, and wouldn't dislike anything if I didn't feel like there are too many people around who'd view me in a negative light and pass around demeaning stereotypes and gossip, possibly even harass me. It just is.

6. timo

Nothing.

Gay pride in the Netherlands is nothing but an over the top parade through the Amsterdam canals that makes me want to cry my eyes out. It's like a huge display full of stereotypes.

I haven't been there yet myself (and don't think I ever will) so I might be wrong, but this is the way it's portrayed in the media and therefore the way "regular" people see it.

7. Aquilo

I have some strongly mixed feelings on this kind of 'gay prides' too.. I really hate it when I see media coverage of these gay prides on television and they always show the most stereotypical things possible.

I do have some of the literal 'gay pride' though. I'm a bit proud to be who I am and that I won't allow anyone else to change that even when I hear all kinds of hurtful things.

8. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Gay pride as in the parade or as in gay pride in general?

If its gay pride in general, then pretty much what Owen said. As a culture, we tend to take pride in who we are simply because we are that way. We do it with our nationalities, sport teams, race, ethnicity, etc. Sexuality is simply one of those things.

If its gay pride as in the parade, then there is a lot to say about it. As a basic summary, its a time for everyone who is queer and accepting to come together in support of each other. The parade has a lot of history behind it which is very awesome in you are interested in reading about it. And contrary to popular belief, its not as controversial as the media tends to show it.

In most countries where being gay is widely accepted for the most part we sort of take it for granted now, but for people who live in very homophobic societies, it becomes very important.

I love this picture because it helps put things in perspective.

Attached Files:

9. Lewis

My thoughts on gay pride are exactly the same. I find no reason whatsoever to celebrate me being gay or for me to be proud of it - I didn't do anything to become gay, the same way I didn't do anything to get brown hair and eyes.

If it was more focused on stopping homophobia and raising awareness of anti-gay bullying, I would totally get involved. But it's not. It's more of a reason to make us look different, which isn't doing us any favours at all.

10. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's actually not what you may expect it to be. I love our gay pride! Not for the parade, but for the atmosphere on the streets. There are loads of straight people, families, more so than LGBT people. It's not over the top at all. The only thing that's bit over the top is the parade you're talking about on Saturday (keep in mind gay pride is five days), but even there people know it's not a realistic portrayal, and the streets are crowded with colorful non LGBT people.

It's also always cool to see the mayor, celebrities, and political parties dancing on the boats. It's a reminder of how good we have it compared to other countries that that's even possible.

I don't see gay pride as a way to celebrate you're gay, it's a celebration of acceptance and tolerance in our country. At least that's how it has always felt to me, even before I considered myself gay or bisexual or whatever.

I think you should give it a try once. :slight_smile: If you still don't like it, then that's fine, some people just don't like it.

#10 justinf, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  11. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

That's actually the only way we ever got to this point. Assimilation only gets you so far in the game and it also encourages the idea that anything that is different is bad, which is the root of many problems. There is also the fact that not all queer people can assimilate as well as others so if you make assimilation the only path to equality, then you are fucking over anyone else that might be slightly different.

12. timo

I honestly didn't know. Before reading your post I already did a Wikipedia check and it told me that it's actually more than just canal parading - I had no idea. The media doesn't really cover the other parts...

After finding out it's more than just the canal parade I might just do that next year, or the year after that :slight_smile:

13. Ridiculous

To me gay pride isn't so much about yourself - it's about showing others that are isolated and not yet comfortable with themselves that there are others out there like them. I think it's a shame that many people view gay pride (whether it is a parade or just people wearing rainbow clothing) as gay people simply showing themselves off.

14. Connor22

15. MixedNutz

I agree, I think "gay pride" is extremely overdone at the pride parades. After going to the one in NYC last year I feel I wouldn't go back. Gay pride is pride in being who you are regardless of gender, orientation or anything in between. It seems like pride parades are just an chance for people to be as extreme as they can, and the whole basis of why the parade is happening is overshadowed.

Maybe I'm wrong, but "gay pride" to me isn't hundreds of men in jock straps dancing on floats (as nice as that is to see).:grin:

16. LiquidSwords

^this

17. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I take no pride for what I am, but no shame either.

Accepting myself is something I now understand was an unavoidable thing. And the same as I am mexican, I take no pride because is not something I achieved.