1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSA...how does it work?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by FishMan27, Nov 26, 2012.

1. FishMan27

The guidance counselor at my school today invited me to our school's GSA, and we talked about how it's all very confidential and flexible as far as when meetings would be, and it got me wondering how GSAs worked. I know they may differ from school to school, but I'm curious as to how meetings are organized, what members do within meetings/outside of meetings, etc.

I've been told a little, but what are all of your experiences with GSAs like?

2. FollowtheFreeman

At our meetings we usually do the same as every other club. We organize events or participate in them/fundraise/and field-trips. I personally love my club because the people in it are so awesome. We're even going to be having a Secret Santa party coming up which I'm quite excited for.

Basically, fun.

3. Mitchell

It's a confidential support and activity group, basically.

You get to know other gay kids in your school, and just talk and have fun, and help promote a gay-friendly atmosphere in your school.

4. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

That's pretty much what ours is like. Its more about the dicussion for my school's GSA. Its loads of fun and I've met so many great people (not just the gay ones either, as a matter of fact, the majority is straight xD) who've all come together to promote more universal acceptance in the school. I think you'll enjoy it.:slight_smile:

5. Eurinthe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, our school's GSA is great fun and has a fantastic atmosphere. It is confidential in that you don't have to disclose anything you don't want to, and you just know from being there that nobody will judge or gossip (I'm not out to them, but it's nice to be there without people speculating my sexuality). Most days there are discussions about LGBT topics (e.g. bullying), but sometimes there are just games or loose chitchat. Almost everyone in the GSA is gay, so I guess that may be something that differs from school to school.

6. Ashley

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Our first few GSA meetings were about getting to know each other, but now we've started to plan fundraisers and other events. We're having a drag show next year :grin:. Sometimes we talk about acceptance and what we can do to promote it. And since we promote acceptance, no one judges you on everything. It's like a second family.

7. Neutrality

I'm the president of my school's and I run things much like the people here are talking about, it's a mix of a support group, an activist/activity organization and a great place to make friends =)