1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Religion.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Joey4, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Joey4

Has it furthered mankind, or held it back?

Every time I read a thread about somebody scared about coming out, it's usually because their parents or friends are religious and don't accept the gay lifestyle.

2. PurpleSmurf

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It seems like humankind can't fully accept anything until Jesus accepts it.

3. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's done both. There's no denying that religion is cause for many of the events that shaped the world as we know it - good and bad.

But (and I don't want to have to repeat this after a few posts) please, let's not digress into an argument about religion in this thread, okay?

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In my opinion, this thread basically invites people to violate the code of conduct. Any "religion has held humankind back" view is going to offend a lot of people here, no matter how kindly that view is put. Not saying that you're violating it, I'm just saying that I don't think this thread has many good places to go. It just has bad places hopefully not to go...

Without support except for my biased selection of source material and my knowledge of current and past events viewed through my ideological lense as shaped by my secular upbringing, I'm simply going to say that religion has had at best an overall neutral effect on humankind.

#4 Pret Allez, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  5. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very true. On social issues - the track record may not be so great, but even there, religion (or at least Christianity in the western world) can claim responsibility for a few advances.

As far as its effect on people coming out and being accepted, again - yes, there are some people who experience trouble that is laid at the feet of religion. But many people come out into religious families that do find acceptance. I suspect it's less about religion itself than about the social conditions that that religion finds itself expressed within.

6. Mogget

"Religion" is this enormously broad category that includes everything from Diana Wicca to Westboro Baptist Church. As such, I don't find it very useful to talk about it as helpful or harmful.

7. TheSeeker

I think in the beginning of the evolution of human society religion was a good thing. It answered the questions about life, morality, and the nature of the universe that were unanswerable by primitive means. Humans are sentient and sentience has a problem with unknowns. Things that cannot be answered about day-to-day life can be maddening. With the unknown comes doubt and, with doubt, anxiety. Religion provided a metaphysical platform, an imagined and very powerful reality. It gave justification for sweeping historical acts, sometimes reform, other times war.

As science advanced it was more often than not challenged by religion. Even though religion was originally designed by man for man, science was based on objective observation of the surrounding universe. The shadows of religious "truth" could very seldom survive in the light of scientific fact. The more science advanced, the closer religion moved to obsolescence.

But in every age, there were always those who resisted scientific fact in favor of time-honored tradition. Belief, mixed with innate human stubbornness, is a force to be reckoned with and the human mind is very good at convincing itself of whatever truth it chooses. One of the larger problems faced by those sacrificing religion for science, was that of giving up one reality in which all questions were answered for a reality in which only most questions can be answered. The more one learns about science, the more questions arise; but I have long believed that this is but the thrill of the chase.

To sacrifice religion for science is to allow unknowns to exist, and for many there is too much anxiety associated with this scenario.

Ok, I am rambling. So, in conclusion, do I believe that religion furthered mankind? Yes, initially. It allowed us to take the "leaps of faith" necessary to advance as a society. However, I firmly believe that it is now holding us back. Religious groups still wield immense political power, and divert so much funding and energy that could be used to better society through social reforms and scientific advancement. It takes money to make a scientific breakthrough, whereas "religious enlightenment" comes cheap.

Did it help in the past, yes. Is it necessary now, no. At least, this is my view on the matter.

-The Seeker

8. vyvance

At the very least, it has hindered the progress of the sciences.

9. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think a strong argument can be made that religion has hindered mankind from moving forward. But it has also helped in a few different ways.

10. Pain

Pain Guest

When it comes to LGBTQ issues, it's usually fundamentalism in religion which is problematic. But religion itself isn't necessarily a cause of human societal fallback. It depends on the interpretations, generally.

And I hope that you use the phrase "gay lifestyle" from the perspective of the "religious" friends/parents of which you speak...

11. Joey4

I'm not arguing for or against religion, I'm simply examining the roll it plays in the progress - or lackthereof - in the human race. I've read several different religious perspectives, including my favorite thus far: religion says you can be gay, you just can't do anything gay.

Religion is helpful, certainly. But look how it's held back the individuals that join this forum and their first post is "help, my parents are super religious and I'm afraid to come out."

12. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Religion has both helped and hindered society as a whole. It's both helped and hindered me as a person.

It depends on what religion we are talking about as well. Fundmental almost anything is not the best religion if you want to progress society.

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What about fundamentalist Jains?

14. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is what I put the almost there for. Not every fundamental religion is bad. Most of them are though.

15. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I'm of the opinion that any superstitions or supernatural beliefs do more harm than good.

16. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    What a wonderful way to answer this question I completely agree with everything you said, I find myself looking forward to your posts in any topic you have such an amazing mind and know how to express it in the right way.

Not only does religion harm those that are LGBT it tears mamilla apart when they don't choose the same religion as their family or you marry someone who isn't of your family's religion, that's always the sadest thing for me, it's been my life story my sister has all but disowned me for leaving the Jehovah,s witnesses, and hates my parents for excepting that I want to do what makes me happy.

17. AaronG

AaronG Guest

I think it does a little of both. Religion gives many people hope and it makes them want to live a good, moral life but when you take your religion and try to attack others with it then it becomes a problem.

18. Mogget

Some of the Jain fasting practices are highly dangerous to the people who partake in them, not all of whom are entirely willing.

19. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow! Now I know. Still not a huge fan, but at least there won't be any Jain funeral picketers or suicide bombers.

20. SkyDiver

Without religion plaguing this planet, we'd be so much more advanced.

I still love Jesus, but I hate religion. I know that's contradictory to some, but the two couldn't be more different.