1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heights

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Pseudojim, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anyone else have issues with heights?

I have severe issues. I have tried to confront them by:

A - climbing
    B - jumping off of high things into water
    C - looking off of sheer edges for long periods of time

Nothing helps. I am told that the process of overcoming fear should entail a "that wasn't so bad" moment. I get none of that. All i feel is "that was absolutely fucked and i never ever want to do it again".

I cannot even watch people in high places on television or films. If someone is rock climbing, i have to look away.

I forced myself to watch this video: [YOUTUBE]leCAy1v1fnI[/YOUTUBE] and was actually nauseous to the point that i was physically affected and extremely anxious.

Am i beyond help with this?

2. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Ah, I can't watch the video without getting anxious or getting the feeling in my gut and the tips of my toes and finger xD Gross xD

I have no idea if its something that you can get over, so I am no help in that aspect.

3. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I'm terrrified if I have to use those steel stairs with holes in the steps.
    I avoid having to climb ladders at all costs.
    Strangely though I have no problem with using airplanes or watching people on videos like the one you posted.
    The only advice I can offer is visit a therapist if it really bothers you. I just try to live with it.

4. theMaverick

I thought I had a fear of heights but watching that video I experienced nothing like you described, and I got a little excited. When I'm up high I get butterflies. Maybe I need to pursue being high.

---------- Post added 27th Nov 2012 at 01:46 PM ----------

Besides, fear is healthy. Use it to spur you on.

5. Bree

I don't have a fear of heights, but I took a psychology course last year that dealt with phobias.

Desensitization is key. Don't try to do it all at once by looking over a cliff or similar. That only works if something can keep you there long enough, and "flooding" as it's called, is a questionable form of therapy anyways. Baby steps. I would recommend finding a place that is as high as you feel comfortable. Go there with a book, or some homework, a friend, make a phone call, etc. When you feel comfortable, go a step higher, no more. Keep doing whatever you're doing. Wait until you feel comfortable. Go a step higher. Wait. The next day, do it again, except start a step higher (or more if you feel comfortable) than you did the day before. Keep working your way up. Try different locations. NEVER PUT YOURSELF IN A SITUATION WHERE YOU WILL PANIC. Every time you get that overwhelming fear response it cements the brain patterns. Every time you make yourself scared enough that you run away it makes it worse.

I raise feral kittens, and one of the key things to taming them is to not put them in a large enough space that they can really run away. If you can keep them from panicking they feel safer much faster. When they can run the fear instinct kicks in and they won't trust you. You have to keep them calm.

I have an overwhelming fear of injections. I can't even look at something that resembles a shot. Today I bought a live needle from the pharmacy--it's currently wrapped up in my bag. I'm going to take it home and put it on the coffee table near my computer. When I feel ready, I'll pick it up. Eventually I'll take it out of the packaging and hold it. By doing so, it will become less of a scary foreign object and more of an ordinary thing. I'll never like shots, but if I'm not as scared of the needles they might be bearable.

Good luck!

Huh. I don't usually make posts that long. I took Ritalin for the first time. I need to get off EC before I get stuck here.

#5 Bree, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  6. FJ Cruiser

I'm strange when it comes to heights. I'd have absolutely no problem with attempting to dance on a highwire if I had a reliable rope and harness. But if there was a 100 foot drop with no protection, I'd get the pit in my stomach just looking at people get within 10 feet of it.

7. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I have always been terrified of heights, even at work if I have to climb a ladder. I can only go as high as the second step, going any higher usually makes me feel nauseous.

8. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Someone once told me that it isn't a fear to heights, but a fear to falling instead. It would make sense from that point of view.

9. vyvance

I'm not personally afraid of them, but my friend's mother is really bad with them. Like, she passed out driving on an overpass because of her fear.

10. Jonathan

I don't have a fear of heights (I could be in airplane or building very high up and be fine). It's more like a fear of ledges...

11. julia

Yup, I can't stand looking down at the view when I'm up on something incredibly high. Even photos and videos of heights make me really anxious. I'm getting clammy just thinking about it.

12. SlickyPants

Maybe this is really bad advice but have you ever thought about going tandem skydiving? You'll be up so high that you'll lose perspective of how high up you really are and if you can get your jump partner to open the chute sooner than later you can enjoy the scenery as it very slowly gets closer. For some reason I would think it would be quite relaxing once you got passed the first step.

13. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do actually want to skydive, yeah! I think i could do that easier than say, bungee jumping or abseiling though.

14. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Smae for me.

15. fatalmoon91

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to have a fear of heights...I still get queasy when a structure I'm standing on moves (like the structures for lines to roller coasters and water park slides and such) and I freak out in a glass elevator. but otherwise I can handle them fine now. I think its because like the others said i kinda took baby steps and now have a few fond memories in high places lol.