1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite Quotes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by peanutbutter, Nov 27, 2012.

1. peanutbutter

I wanted to know what are everyone's favorite quote. I start it off:

One isn't necessarily born with courage, but one is born with potential. Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest.
    -Maya Angelou

2. FollowtheFreeman

"Our philosophy at New Scientist is this: Science is interesting, and if you don't agree you can fuck off." - New Scientist editor

3. Adarya

I like pretty much all and any quotes by Oscar Wilde; in my opinion, the man was a pure genius.

"A work of art is the unique result of a unique temperament."

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

"Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much."

"An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all."

"A man who does not think for himself does not think at all."

"To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance."

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."

"The truth is rarely pure and never simple."

"No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist."

"Ambition is the last refuge of the failure."

"I put all my genius into my life; I put only my talent into my works."

-Oscar Wilde

That's just a few of them, but there are many more. I'm a big fan of quotes, so I have a lot of favorites besides Oscar Wilde's.

4. Badger

Badger Guest

"There is nothing impossible to him who will try."
    - Alexander the Great

5. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

"Never give up on something you cant go a day without thinking about"

"I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you" :lol:

6. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Besides my signature, I like a lot of quotes, here are a few of them about LGBT issues:

"You go to work; you do an excellent job; you mow your lawn; you pay your property taxes and you go to bed at 10 o’clock at night. That’s the gay agenda."

"There are tons of people– male people, even!– who don’t have sex. […] I know this is bizarre to all those “90% of men masturbate and 10% of men are lying” people out there, the “men evolved to be promiscuous” people, the “men naturally have high sex drives” people. But men – people – are different. If you don’t want to have sex, you shouldn’t have sex. That doesn’t make you prudish or uncool, broken or sick, sad or pathetic or wrong. It makes you someone who’s making the right life choice for you at that very moment."

"I’ve been forced to explain homosexuality to my kids (aged 3 and 4) because their uncle is gay. This incredibly difficult and traumatic experience went as follows:
    Child: Why does Uncle Bob go everywhere with Pete?
    Me: Because they’re in love, just like Mummy and Daddy are.
    Child: Oh. Can I have a biscuit?
    We’re all scarred for life. Scarred, I tell you."

"Asking who's the man/woman in a gay relationship is like asking which chopstick is the fork."

Archbishop Desmond Tutu:
    "This is a matter of ordinary justice. We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about - our very skin. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given. I could not have fought against the discrimination of apartheid and not also fight against the discrimination that homosexuals endure, even in our churches and faith groups." (page 54)
    and -
    "Equally, I cannot keep quiet while people are being penalized for something about which they can do nothing - their sexuality. To discriminate against our sisters and brothers who are lesbian or gay on grounds of their sexual orientation for me is as totally unacceptable and unjust as apartheid ever was." (page 55)

[​IMG]

Other quotes I like:
    ~The important thing is not the object of love, but the emotion itself. ~Gore Vidal

"Kokoro ni hito sumawaseru" - Toshiro Kanamori (Let people [live] in your heart.

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen." -- Albert Einstein

Better to be rich in love, than in wealth and possessions.
    - Unknown

Love has no age, no limit; and no death.
    (Talking about love not sexual attraction/intercourse)
    - John Galsworthy

The very young do not always do as they are told
    - Anteaus (SG1)

`“Be yourself. Above all, let who you are, what you are, what you believe, shine through every sentence you write, every piece you finish.” John Jakes

Apologies for the wall of text.

7. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    'it takes less mental effort to condemn than to think' - Emma Goldman

8. 807

In order to live free and happily, you must sacrifice boredom. It is not always an easy sacrifice.
    The best way to avoid responsibility is to say, "I've got responsibilities."
    Richard Bach...... Illusions - The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah.

9. Amicus

"Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest
    of his life." -Terry Pratchett

10. kem

kem

"Hate the sin, love the sinner"
    "I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent."
    "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

"Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high
    Where knowledge is free
    Where the world has not been broken up into fragments
    By narrow domestic walls
    Where words come out from the depth of truth
    Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection
    Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way
    Into the dreary desert sand of dead habit
    Where the mind is led forward by thee
    Into ever-widening thought and action
    Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake"
    Rabindranath Tagore

11. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Don't you think it is the height of Man's arrogance to assume what Jesus would have voted for 2000 years down the line?"

Jon Steward

12. Linthras

Linthras Guest

You like this quote?

13. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

"Within a quarter of an hour, I raise my head and fall into a realm dominated by somnolence, anthropic white lights, ethereal insects, discomfort, and utter confusion. This place presents no beauties to behold, wondrous mysteries, nor revelations — it is wisdom's antithesis. Logic becomes foreign, thoughts become disheveled, motion becomes labored, and sleep becomes impossible. In this insanity, I find solace. In clarity, my thoughts return to dismay and beckon for an end, but I possess a pick to escape my prison. How can I ignore it? Even if it causes irreparable damage, it is better than accepting this torture." - an essay by an an anonymous author

“How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it.” - Alexander Shulgin

"Note the difference between a right and a privilege. A right, in the abstract, is a fact; it is not a thing to be given, established, or conferred; it is. Of the exercise of a right power may deprive me; of the right itself, never. Privilege, in the abstract, does not exist; there is no such thing. Rights recognized, privilege is destroyed. But, in the practical, the moment you admit a supreme authority, you have denied rights. Practically the supremacy has all the rights, and no matter what the human race possesses, it does so merely at the caprice of that authority." - Voltarine de Cleyre

"Solitude, though it may be as silent as light, is like light, the mightiest of agencies; for solitude is essential to man. All men come into this world alone and leave it alone." - Thomas de Quincy

I have more, but these were the first I could think of off the top of my head.

#13 plasticcrows, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  14. Kat kanu

"when your both girls, the line between friendship and love is seriously blurred, there aren't any set goals, and "love" has a lot of different meanings,so we cant afford to be scared, to just wait around for the other girl to make a move. maybe we have to be brave and just tell each other how we feel-." im not sure its in a manga i read

15. samizer0313

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, and the slaves of the ordinary."

Also the quote in my signature I made. :3

16. kem

kem

Yes, I do. I know it's usually used in the context of condemning homosexuality, but it's not just about that really. The way I view it it's more like: if somebody does wrong, forgive. Try to understand why they did it.

17. peanutbutter

That is super awesome. I do believe that people are use to is being referred to the lgbtqi community, however it can be to all people and all circumstances:eusa_clap.

18. 341

341 Guest

"I'm not a slut, I just love love." : P!nk - Slut Like You
    :3

19. Astraeus

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "You got a dream... You gotta protect it. People can't do somethin' themselves, they wanna tell you you can't do it. If you want somethin', go get it. Period."
    ― Christopher Gardner, The Pursuit of Happyness

20. iBlakexo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    "Even the most beautiful of flowers have to go through a lot of dirt."