1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cornwall!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Psychedelic Bookmarks, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Psychedelic Bookmarks

i'm going to cornwall for a few days, so i won't be here again 'till tuesday or wednesday.

any of you ever been to cornwall? for you non-brits, it's the county at the bottom left of britain. it's pretty rural, with lots of hills and beaches and.... other exciting rural things. but seriously, the countryside there is great. anyone else been?

2. Jeimuzu

I've been. I was in... Bodmin, I think. Or Bude. Or one of the many hundreds of places in Cornwall that begin with B.

I saw a rather pretty waterfall where a saint apparently died and I also visited Tintagel. :slight_smile:

3. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Yes, I've been to Cornwall many, many times. There's the best beach in the ENTIRE WORLD called Whitesand Bay (you can find it on the map I think, it's quite big) - I don't know what it's like now, as it is actually about 10 years since I went, but when I went there there was a steep walk down to it and there was basically no one else there. But it is an AMAZING beach (and this comes from a non-beach person), with masses of sand, plus rockpools and rocks etc in some places if you like that...I have some great memories there. (This info could be well out of date, however - it could be all ruined or something now!!). Gosh, where have I been? St Michael's Mount is good too, all the main towns/cities, lots of the villages on the coast, can't remember them all!! Great, although the weather can be tempremental....

Have loads of fun and hear from you soon!! :slight_smile:

4. TriBi

I like Cornwall - in the summertime :wink:.

Not too sure what it would be like at this time of year tho'. There are a lot of quite good beaches (sorry - but they're not a patch on some of the Aussie beaches), some really pretty countryside, nice hiking trails. For the people who don't know, the coast on the 'north' side is more your touristy beaches. Newquay is a bit ho-hum, but I love St.Agnes and the area around there (I'm probably biased 'cos I have friends there). Lots of good coastal walks - the one from Looe to Polperro was really nice (but again - I did it in the summer)...Polperro is really quaint and scenic.

Land's End is nothing to go mad about - other than to say you have been there. Sennen Cove is nice - Oh - that's the area where you'll find Whitesand Bay. The coast on the south side is more rocky and dramatic. I really liked the area around the Lizard - rugged and quite spectacular. There are some interesting Neolithic sites scattered around various parts of the countryside too.

I remember driving around all over when I went back to the UK about ten years ago - loved it. Oh - and some of the country lanes there are so narrow you just have to pray you don't meet any oncoming traffic, LOL.

Anyway - time I stopped rambling on and let someone with more current knowledge (and younger tastes?) give some details. :icon_bigg

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

We went to Cornwall about 4 years ago and had a great time. February may not be the best time of year though. It's interesting to just drive around and stop when you come across something interesting. If you enjoy lovely views and taking photos you'll find plenty.

If you are interested in techie stuff the BT satellite earth station at Goonhilly is well worth a visit. There's also an interesting telegraph museum somewhere, and a plaque at Lands End close to the point where Marconi first transmitted radio waves across the Atlantic.

6. llenadepecas

Goonhilly freaks me out. But then im scared of satellites, so... Yep, i go to cornwall about three times a year, i have family down there. The lizard peninsula is beautiful, as is padstow. Landsend sucks. You cannot get a good picture there... Well, i couldnt anyway. The best thing about cornwall is that there are places where you can walk for miles and not come across anything more than a lane.

7. Ty

Ty Guest

I went to cornwall last september. It was fun. Its weird though because I live in a fast-trend moving city and in Cornwall, everyone looked like 9 months behind :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: its so funny!

8. Psychedelic Bookmarks

just got back! thanks for all the advice, but i've been going to cornwall about 2 or 3 times a year since i was about 6, so i have been to all the places you mentioned :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: for those who think this isn't a good time of year, it is actually lovely there all the time. we often go at new year when the trees are totally bare and all the little towns have enormous xmas decorations up. i would have gone swimming yesterday too, except i have a cold. :grin: i love cornwall. but ur right, ty, it is not very "trendy". that's why i love it :wink: heh

9. Ty

Ty Guest

Where abouts In cornwall did you go to? I went to a town where the sharks were supposed to be and we went on a boat trip and saw all these little seals and stuff ^_^ it was veryyyy cold though haha! But what can you except from england in september?

10. Psychedelic Bookmarks

right down the bottom near land's end. we stay in a village called st. hillary. it's in mount's bay, near penzance and st. michael's mount. i've been on a seal boat trip too, but it's a bit of a rip off because you can see them for free all round the coast. yesterday i saw two on a beach in the waves, they were fooling about in the surf and looked as though they were kissing ^_^ it was so cute!

11. Ty

Ty Guest

I went to lands end :grin: Scary though!

12. llenadepecas

i went fishing once and we didnt catch anything because the seals were right there, it was so coooooooolll