1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Being Gay make you a better person?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bernie761, Nov 29, 2012.

1. bernie761

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i ask this, cause i sometimes think that if i were straight id be a totally different person. being gay has taught me to TRY and not judge people, be kind to people, and be an all around nice guy...maybe cause when i do finally come out id want people to be nice and accepting...just some food for thought...

2. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

Sorry, your title confuses me. Does being gay make you a better person? Not necessarily. I consider myself a sub par person and have known other gay people with bad personalities. Straight people are not free from discrimination, rudeness, unfair judgement, or hostility and surely can have the same opinions as you do on these wrongdoings. The reason you've become this way is because you're aware of and have experienced first hand negative attitudes towards gays, believe such attitudes are wrong and that people shouldn't be treated that way, yeh? Straights can think the same thing.

The only other thing I can guess you meant was "Is being gay making you a better person?" In which case, no. It has not had any noticeable effect on my personality.

3. Ridiculous

We go through a lot of shit, and most people are going to come out the other side the stronger for it.

4. 341

341 Guest

I think LGBT people understand tough times a bit more compared to the majority, that's just my personal opinion though.
    The sexual orientation itself does not affect one's personality.

5. Alexander69

No I don't thing being gay makes you a Better person. 1 I can be a huge bitch when I want to, I can be mean I used to bully tons of people.(I feel aweful for it) I am grumpy and I find that alot of gay men have an attitude like myself. I found the gay men I've seen are very snobby and judge you and feel that everyone has targeted them because of our sexuality which isn't true obviously some people will. But I hate when people act like the victim all the time there are tons of heterosexual people out there who are bullied maybe not for their sexuality but for other reasons.i Get that we have been victims alot more then others but not everyone Hates us. Anyways to answer your question no it doesn't make you a better person.

6. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if being gay has made me a better person, but is has made me a stronger one. Seeing how people judge without having ANY knowledge of a situation really lets you see the true close-mindedness of the human creature.

Sometimes I wonder if I were straight if I would even think about these things, but I can't really argue hypotheticals.

7. dreamcatcher

No I don't think there's any correlation at all. I've met some terrible gay people as well as some nice ones. I know people say lgbt people go through a lot of hardships and as a result are more open minded or empathetic but I don't agree with that. I've met several lgbt people that can be close minded on certain issues but open minded on others. Everyone experiences different hardships and they're affected by them differently. A person's personality and personal growth depends on how they view the situation and what they learn from it. So no I don't think being gay makes you a better person. I think any human being that learns from their mistakes, is willing to look at another person's perspective, and is empathetic towards others is a better person.

8. Hazel

I've met a lot of judgmental, narrow-minded gays and a lot of amazing heterosexuals.

Some people go through hard times (which may or may not have to do with their orientation) and start to rethink the way they act and treat other people, some people start to rethink it just because it doesn't make sense, and other people go through hard times and begin to think they're morally and intellectually superior to others despite their shitty behavior just because they're part of a minority, and clearly know and understand what the masses don't.

Almost everyone grows up with struggles, secrets, and insecurities. Is almost everyone a good person, then?

#8 Hazel, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  9. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Seems everyone took the question in the sense of "accepting to be gay by itself does make any people a better person?" but I think that's the wrong approach.

From the original post, it's clear he is asking "in your particular case, having accepted yourself as LGBT, have changed your vision of the world to the extent to make you a better person than before?"

So my answer is: definitely yes. Before I had the same prejudices than any average heterosexual, but upon learning about myself I got more sensitive to this subjects and the knowledge alone of all this issues made me behave better when I'm near any LGBT people.

Until half year ago, I'll still keep my distance of a clearly gay guy. Today I will not have a problem (unless he is behaving like any other people I consider a nuisance). It really opens your eyes, wheter one likes to accept it or not.

10. Brenny

I'm not sure. I think I've become a good liar. Something I never would have thought I could be...

11. nathaniel

nathaniel Guest

I think because I gay and how ive learned about my self its made me a better person. C:

12. Koan

Koan Guest

A challenging situation/experience can be transformed into something good or something bad.

I think the main differentiator between transforming a challenge into something positive or not is the amount of awareness that you can infuse into the experience while it goes on and afterwards.

Unfortunately, awareness is not something that comes by itself.

13. Illusion

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Pretty sure I'm just the same sort of person as I would be straight. Which is a...decent one.

14. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

A couple gay guys that I've met are total assholes I want nothing to do with. At the same time perhaps the kindest, most wise, inspiring and respectable person I've ever met is also gay. I understand the bullying and intolerance most gays are eventually faced with at some point can make a person more sensitive and less likely to behave in a similar manner themselves from then on. But then again it's not like that applies exclusively to gays. And there's no guarantee someone confronted with that kinda oppression will find anything positive to take and learn from and better themselves out of it.

Humans are too complex to be generalised this way. What makes us good people or not has much more to do with each of our own unique sets of influences in life, the environment we're raised in as children, the extent of our own ability to discern whether or not we're headed down the right path, and other things like that. Sexual preference completely determines who we're Prefer to have Sex with and not much else besides that

15. Lewis

Probably so. How could we possibly ever know? I wouldn't say it's made me a better person, definitely stronger, but no better than a really genuine straight individual. Maybe if I was straight I'd be less open-minded and ignore (or not notice) what gay people go through. Long story short, I'd be living my life as I wished to.

As others have stated, I know some pretty bitchy gay people that I refuse to associate with. All of the amazing friends that I have (and wouldn't change for the world) are great people and love me for who I am. I'm not friends with nor do I generally like the gay people that I know. Most of them forget how it felt to be in my position and find it amusing to discuss my sexuality openly with people that don't know and have basically tried outing me to some people. Luckily they already knew.

Sexuality doesn't define a good or better person, but being gay has definitely shaped me into the person I am today. Personally, I think I'm one of the few good guys there are out there, but from personal experience, gay assholes are no better than the straight assholes out there! An asshole is an asshole.

16. prism

Facing adversity always makes you a better person.

17. Ventus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I believe I'm far more tolerant of others because of it. I honestly wouldn't want to be straight. I love who I am, which is something not many can say with complete conviction.

18. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Being part of any marginalized group gives one special tools to empathize with other people, and that provides them with a chance to be a better person, if she choose to take advantage of that chance.

19. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

I think I am different in my thought patterns ever since I came out to myself as gay. I use to see the world only in black and white. Now it seems I see everything in color. lol. I know sounds corny, but that is how I see things now.

I see a future, where I never saw one before. But I believe because a lot of my self hatred and loathing has gone away once I accepted myself, I have become a better person. I mean I was a good person before, I just never believed it. Now, I do. Even though I tried to bury my fem side I have always known I was different then other men, just didn't conceive that would be because I was gay.