1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do you think opposites attract?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by woundsneverheal, Nov 30, 2012.

1. i think it depends on who the people are.
    i met someone 6 months ago online (yes online, what a joke) and she's totally opposite from me but she's amazing to me. she has her mistakes and problems also we have our differences but i've learned overtime to accept them.

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

All the articles I've read about it say that opposites can cause strong attraction initially, but in terms of long-term success, a relationship is more likely to last if the people are similar than it is if they are different.

3. 341

341 Guest

Well I like to think I'm mature and I can't stand immature guys... xD

4. aeva

I completely agree with this. I think it's only really possible to have a long-term relationship with somebody very different from you if you both make an effort to understand and participate in the things that the other enjoys. Who knows, you may find something you love!

My dad and step-mom are totally different. He's a polite, refined Brit that loves art, science, theater and architecture, who isn't close with his family. She's a vulgar, loud American that loves literature, being pampered and dirty jokes, who is super close with her large family. She's super nosey (but fights like a child), and he's non-confrontational (but when he does fight, he's violent- only to me, never to her!).They are so different it's a wonder how they ever got together. But they both make an effort to understand each others passions and encourage them. My dad goes to book events with my step-mom, and she takes him to exhibits of his favorite artists, that she's come to appreciate too. They've been married for 13 years, and I can count the number of times I've seen them fight on one hand.

I think my parents are definitely the exception to the rule, but it CAN happen. A strong relationship is much more common with somebody you share at least a few things with though.

5. MixedNutz

I think it's good to be different but have the same values. I'm always attracted to those that are opposite but have the same core values. Polar opposites usually don't last.

6. well me and her think the same a little. we have our differences but we connect...it's like were so opposite , we understand each other and known each other long enough to like to the differences.

7. Deaf Not Blind

Opposites on FB and EC, hate me!
    Opposites who hated me on FB and meet me in person in the library at school, they giggle and blush.
    Weird phenomena.
    Opposites can attract, but if too different it can't last, cuz you blow up and kill each other! :grin:

8. prism

The girl I fell in love with was the complete opposite of me, both physically and mentally. She was blonde, very feminine, and an introvert. We would argue a lot and wind each other up in the worst ways, but it's something that I loved and still miss.

It definitely depends on the people, but I could never imagine dating someone too similar to myself.

9. Caudex

Caudex Guest

Well, you could say that opposites attract is impossible for most EC members…but that's beside the point.

Owen is right; we like to think of ourselves as falling for mysterious awesome people but we just like people we agree with for the most part. I have a few republican friends but it's definitely harder for a republican to "prove him/herself" to me.

10. Neutrality

I am fairly professional, polite , compassionate and I am attracted to guys who are like me....but I'm attracted to girls who are loud, arrogant, know what they want types...So...Yes and no?...I unno with guys I want someone who will keep me in my comfort zone and with girls I want someone to pull me out of it...make me go get my hair dyed pink or something...like make me do the things I think about doing but never would =P

11. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hope you don't mind me saying this but that sounds complicated! XD

I like people who are opposite from me in some ways. I don't want someone exactly like me. I'm kinda spacy and I prefer someone who can focus better than me... I can't cook to save my life and I'd absolutely love a woman who could cook! I think in most ways I prefer those who are similar (when it comes to my good qualities) to me though. :slight_smile:

12. Gallatin

I agree with MixedNutz, that the core values (to me, things like honesty, kindness, humility, etc.) have to be at least similar to have a chance at working out. I once dated (and fell in love with) a girl who was in many ways totally opposite from me. But it worked because our core values were so similar.

13. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

Someone opposite my personality would be very extroverted, sensitive, emotional, and assuming. Qualities that can have the ability to really annoy the piss out of me.

14. LionsAndShadows

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    From the perspective of a guy who has been in a committed relationship for over ten years, I would say attraction requires connection and similarity at a deep level. Those connections allow for differences at a more superficial level. Perhaps some examples would help. Here are some similarities and differences between me and my partner:

Similarities

Same age (within a year)
    Similar educational background
    We both have a similar outlook to work-life-balance
    We both like good food, animals, gadgets, travel, and being pampered
    We are both compassionate, romantic, loving souls
    Perhaps most importantly we share a belief in the importance to us of being committed to each other – the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Differences:

He is Asian, I am Caucasian
    He likes action movies, I prefer art-house movies
    I like reading novels, he prefers non-fiction
    I like classical music, he prefers musicals

15. Neutrality

Trust me it is X_X, My attractions are waaaay to complicated, part of why I've given up on labeling them and just sort of float around with the attitude of if I like them then I like them =P

16. Deaf Not Blind

YESSS!!! Now I know how to push your buttons! Thanks! :grin: