1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drawing/Sketching/Painting

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by theMaverick, Nov 30, 2012.

1. theMaverick

Who here is an artist and likes to create?

What's your specialty?

And, I have a question - I used to draw and paint all the time but then I quit. Now when I try I can't find the inspiration I used to feel and I suck. How can I get better?

2. Ticklish Fish

I used to draw... then I stopped because of school.... am i considered artist anymore? lol.

also, artist block.... idk.

3. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love drawing! Especially cartoons. I have "artists block" every once and awhile too, and in times like that all you can do is get back on the horse so to speak! If you have to just doodle until you feel confident enough to really get back into it. :slight_smile:

4. AaronG

AaronG Guest

I'm an artist!
    I normally draw anime style drawings but I sometimes like to try other styles too

5. FollowtheFreeman

As I'm typing this I am currently working on a clay sculpture of a sea otter. So... yeah. You can say that I dabble in the arts.

6. prism

Sculpture. I with I had the ability to paint/draw, but I'm thankful to be creative in any way. :slight_smile:

7. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I draw and paint. My preference is painting nature. No idea who I got it from, neither of my parents have a special artistic talent, but it just seems to come naturally to me.

If you're stuck and inspirationless, don't force it. Just take a break, no matter how long it takes. It has to come naturally. If you continue to not be able to get the results you want, then that's too bad but it's not the end of the world. After all, it's about loving what you're doing, not about the end result.

8. Skyline

I'm a self-taught digital manga artist. After I make just one good drawing I usually get artist's block for a month or two. It's just how things go for me. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. lexi

lexi Guest

well sculpture and drawing/charcoal/scratchboard are my favorites. i wish i could paint but it ALWAYS fails. :frowning2:

Find something to inspire you. and get out a canvas and set up your supplys ahead of time- then let the motivation come to you.

If you have everything set up, then when a little inspiration comes your way start creating. What do you ussually like to draw/paint? What kind of things would you like to? if its landscapes then look at pictures, watch a documentary that would have landscapes, or go on a little driving adventure somewhere and take some pictures yourself. Am i making sense? just find a way to self-induce inspiration :slight_smile:

10. MixedNutz

I used to be really into airbrushing. Tee shirts/ tattoos/ motorcycle garb

11. LightningRider

Practice.
    Practice.
    Practice.
    :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Probably exactly not what you want to hear but let's be honest here, you can't get better at something unless you do it.
    I can't get better at bass unless I pick up my guitar and play; same goes for art.
    So grab a pencil and paper and get drawing :thumbsup:

And if you are stuck for inspiration there are plenty of things you can do:
    -Read a book
    -Go for a walk
    -Watch a movie
    -Play a game
    -Look at other peoples art
    -Watch tv
    Basically, live your life and just observe the world around you. You'll eventually see something that will start your brain a-thinkin'. :slight_smile:

And as for what sort of art do I do; I sketch/draw mostly.
    Pencil & paper baby, that's where it's at :icon_wink
    Once I've drawn something I like to colour it using a computer program. :slight_smile:

I do occasionally do other things: painting, (bad) photography and make things out of cardboard & paper.

12. DryOasis

DryOasis Guest

I draw and paint too, I have some of my work uploaded on my albums here on EC if you'd like to take a look.

Don't force inspiration, I know it may be frustrating to hit a dead end. If you take a step back and think about what you want to say or do through your art, then that's a foundation to build your work on. I'm saying this in reference to making original artworks. And yeah, you must practise!

13. kem

kem

I'm an art student. I'm mostly involved with watercolours and graphite.

To get better, you have to have lots of practice. But to become a good artist, you need more than just technical skill. Knowing art history is vital; movements in art, artists, colour theories, composition... A good artist has a good balance of skill, knowledge and innovation.

14. PurpleCrab

I've been through Art college where I learned and practiced all forms of arts. My favorite back then was clay.

Now though, my favorite is tattooing. I find that inking the skin of live people is just the best way for me.

15. PatyR

16. TheDifferent13

That's me basically. I used to draw and sketch a lot. Now I just don't find an inspiration to do it or whenever I try, I never know what to draw, so the drawing just ends up meh.

17. Jim

Jim

I love drawing. I'm not as good at painting merely because I haven't practiced in some time, but I draw a lot. My best tip is literally just practice. A lot. And practice drawing from a reference, drawing from memory or imagination is a LOT harder than still life/ referencing.

18. Greendalehumans

Me! I do a lot of painting (acrylic, oil, watercolor) and drawing :slight_smile: I like pointalism, too. It's a drawing or a painting made entirely out of little dots :grin:
    I actually have a bit of my art in my gallery on here, if you want to look.