1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what's a cis and trans in sexuality/gender?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ticklish Fish, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Ticklish Fish

because the only cis and trans that i know is in chemistry...

(I am such a nerd and geek)

like, i know what you're talking about with functional groups or substitutions being cis or trans, R or S, or E or Z... but a person?

trans might be easy, a person going from m to f or f to m? cis can't be m to m or f to f, right?

2. Ridiculous

Cis just means on the same side, and trans mean not on the same side.
    In sex/gender it refers to whether they are both the same (e.g. your birth sex vs your gender and gender expression).

Cis: birth sex matches with gender/gender expression
    Trans: birth sex doesn't match with gender/gender expression

#2 Ridiculous, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  3. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cisgender is when one's sex and gender match. This usually implies from birth.
    Transgender is when one's sex and gender don't match.
    Transsexual usually means one's sex has been changed to match their gender.

4. Deaf Not Blind

I think meant:
    Cis: birth sex matches with gender/gender expression
    Trans: birth sex doesn't match with gender/gender expression

5. Ridiculous

Yeah I forgot to change it to trans after I copied/pasted my first line :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Ticklish Fish

so what's the point of labeling cis when trans people self identifies?...
    that's like saying, "I have black hair and keep my black hair"? as opposed to "i have black and going to dye it blonde"

<-is still confused

7. Caudex

Caudex Guest

Lots of gay people are transgender, simply because feminine tendencies hormonally are prevalent in gay men and vice versa. So if you're a cisgender gay, it simply implies that you are cool with it. In addition, lots of people would like to undergo HRT but don't. So if you'd rather be the other gender but you don't care that much or just don't want to deal with it, then you're transgender.
    With your hair example. Maybe you would want to die your hair blonde but you know it's a bad idea because it's not societally accepted in men.

8. Odahingum

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The word "cisgender" exists as a way of reminding people that nobody owns a monopoly on the word "normal."

9. rday13

rday13 Guest

Here's the way our old GSA/Queer Centre Coordinator used to put it, especially when doing some sensitivity training. You'd be surprised at the number of people who don't have a basic understanding of this simply b/c they didn't bother to find out.
    Cis: What you've got up there matches with what's in your pants
    Trans: Mismatch between what's up there and what's down below.
    Hence, trans identity aims to achieve a match between up there and down below. It can be described by trans people as being born in the wrong body. There are also various other definitions which I'm not qualified to go into.

10. Best description in the thread. Just like you wouldn't categorise people as "gay" and "normal" (straight) because it's offensive, it's insulting to call non-trans people "normal," as it implies trans people are abnormal. That's why the word "cisgender" was created.

11. Adelaida

Good question and good answers! I didn't even know there was a word for people who aren't trans. And it makes sense that it would be offensive to categorize people who aren't trans as "normal," so it's great that there's a term for it that doesn't imply normality and abnormality. Love that I always learn new things here! Plus, I'm kind of a linguistic geek! :slight_smile:

12. Ticklish Fish

but even within "normal" straight people, you have people who really don't mind polygamy secretly and those that do... hahahaha

I think I understand the terms in this thread now. I'll let it die, unless somebody else wants to asks questions related here, you can go ahead and hijack my thread :grin:

13. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I'm in love :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. J Snow

If the term cisgender shouldn't exist, then neither should straight or heterosexual. We could just call them normal.

15. DhammaGamer

People say "that's a straight person" what the difference between that and saying "that person is cisgendered". "Cis" isn't used scientifically its a made up association for the purpose of provided a label other than "normal" to not transitioning individuals. I mean, I prefer to call them muggles, but I usually keep that to myself :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. Deaf Not Blind

Wow, you are off!

Gayness has zero to do with being transgender dude.
    I am transgender, I like mainly straight women and not interested in anything as me trying to live as a "woman"...I am not a lesbian, and transwomen aint gay men!
    That said, I am not comfortable in my thoughts...I do like some gay men.
    So, I am kinda in same boat a CIS-gender guys on here who are mainly straight but are upset at finding out they feel stuff for some guys.
    Example: I always hated when Cis-men thought I was a Cis-woman and hit on me...but a buddy who knows I am a guy accidentally said on a pix on FB I am a cute man...and a gay friend of my college friend said "man??" and suddenly he changed how he talked to me and flirted and PM me to say I am cute and <3. Instead of fear or being grossed out, I was happy #1 to be considered a true male, and secondly flattered he thinks I am cute.
    That is only so you undy...I am not saying more it embarrasses me, as I want to be straight.

And there is difference between Cis~ and Trans~....hormones before birth that developed the fetal body into male or female. The mind of a Transman is so close if not identical to a Cis-man it gets us into trouble...trying to fit in as a girl, you just get told over and over you are weird by the girls...and the guys adore your fart jokes. As a coming out as transgender man in school I find the guys and me just are the guys.

Again, so you and others not confused:

a transperson can be gay, bi, or straight in the various ways cispeeps can...the scale that is used to determine how hetero/homosexual you are, the Kinsey scale? We just do it as our considered true gender identity, not our birth gender.
    a straight cis-guy and straight trans-guy both are very attracted to women. Both if exclusively to women are Kinsey -0-.
    a gay cis-guy and gay trans-guy both are attracted to men. If exclusively men then Kinsey -6-.

Got it?

Ask more questions if still confused...
    But please do not confuse a gays as being girls.

17. Neutrality

Ohhh ohhh ohhh!...Ohh...if we got rid of straight and hetero and cis then I could start calling people "'Freakin Normies!" as an insult =O

18. Deaf Not Blind

^ orrr...we could just drop all the labels and if you get asked by a girl to go on a date or a guy, or you ask them, just say yes or no thank you. Nuff said!

19. Neutrality

Well, that's how I already live my life already, I think I like my idea better...((There was a lot of sarcasm in my earlier statement if no one picked up on it..and in the one in this post too....I wish I could reveal the tone of my voice more efficiently through text. =P))

20. Deaf Not Blind

EASY TO DO!!
    #######!!!
    Then POST the link and we can listen to it...unless I am too deaf. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: