1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compliments during weight loss

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Shyguy5, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Shyguy5

I was always the short fat kid growing up and didn't like being the center of attention unless I'm having fun (joking around, acting, etc.). I've always struggled with trying to lose weight or fat in general. As of right now, I've lost 25lbs in 5 months (195 to 170)

In my indoor cycling class, my instructor noticed and ask me at the end of class. Everyone hear our conversation and gave me some words of encouragement. I just wanted to crawl into a ball.

Has anyone felt a little embarrassed and uncomfortable when people ask and compliment you after the first few months of losing weight?

2. Brenny

Hey!

Please don't be ashamed or embarrassed. It doesn't matter where you started. I see guys/girls at the gym who don't look too hot but I see them regularly there and making improvements. Not once do I think anything bad of them. No, I'm proud of them! I completely understand being uncomfortable but give yourself a pat on the back! 25 lbs is a big deal and that takes motivation and hard work. I think accomplishing that goal and continuing on shows just what kind of character a person has. So good job and keep it up!

3. Jared

Yeah I feel really awkward and uncomfortable when people ask/mention my weight loss. I've lost a bunch of weight since I started college. I'm like you and hate being the center of attention. I've learned to just say thanks and move on, it makes it a bit less awkward.

4. All Star

All Star Guest

I was the same when people talked about how much I slimmed up. I never really lost weight, I was the same weight, I just got a lot taller and started working out. I went from an average height fat kid, to a tall buff kid. I just always nodded my head, and said,"Yeah, I have slimmed up a bit."

5. CTJ

CTJ

The only people that have mentioned my weight loss are family members that turn it into a criticism.

mum -"You've lost too much weight, you need to eat!"
    me - *grabs a roll of fat* "really? look at that!"
    Mum - you'd look disgusting if you were skinny, stop losing weight!

Its funny, i havent actually tried to lose weight really. My new job just involves alot of physical lifting, so i burn alot of calories in the day.

6. Shyguy5

It's nice knowing I'm not alone in feeling this way.

Thank you, your post really made me smile. When I first started working out on my own, I always felt like the people in shape were thinking "man no matter how hard he try's he'll never look like us". I'm glad I could hear from someone that is the complete opposite.

Yeah, I know what you mean. My parents are the same; my mom thinks that I'm losing too much weight (I've always been the chubby kid so I guess it's a shock) but she also gets offended when I don't eat a lot of the food she makes. My parents are ignorant when it comes to food like I should eat until I'm full or that if something is a vegetable it is automatically healthy. So really, I don't have support when it comes to getting in shape.

7. Ticklish Fish

*hugs you all*

unlike you all, I need to gain some weights :frowning2:

but I don't understand about people getting offended if you don't eat all their food, lol.

also to what shyguy says, didn't Congress tried to pass Pizza as vegetable because of tomato paste? :ROFLMAO:

for vegetables, generally raw (as salad*) or boiled is healthy.

*provided you don't put so many fatty sauce on top

8. caughtbywitness

I actually think it helps, because you see it's working and makes you feel better that people are noticing your hard work. :slight_smile:

9. MixedNutz

Yea people mention if I haven't seen them in a while, I've lost 50 pounds.

I'd rather someone just say "you look good" then "omg you lost so much weight!! How many pounds?!!" It's embarrassing

10. Shyguy5

I agree, it's complementary at the same time not putting you on the spot. I'm still in the process of getting fit but at times I get a little down. Sometimes, I read fitness forums were guys (mainly those around my age) post their transitions. I get inspired seeing some of them weight as much as i had and get to the goal i want. Its been about 5 months and I've lost 25lbs and I believe that i can finally feel like I'm not that little fat kid anymore. Other times, I just feel like I'll never get fit and that i don't deserve to have a fit body and be attracive. I don't know if anyone felt like this.

11. Shyguy5

12. Rainbow Music

yeah it is kind of embarrasing but that only means that only means that people are noticing.

13. Shyguy5

True, I just have a hard time believing the compliments