1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Travelling alone

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Closet88, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been saying for years how I'd love to go travelling and there are so many places I'd like to see. I haven't been outside England in 2012 and this has really annoyed me as its not through lack of trying. I am determined to do some travelling in 2013, whether its to a far away place or even just small breaks in Europe.

The main thing which usually stops me travelling is that my friends never want a holiday or never seem to wanna go to the same places as me, and I have always been too nervous to go travelling or on a small holiday alone. But the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking that I shouldn't let this stop me from enjoying myself...

But would it be the same going places alone? Has anyone else been travelling alone before? And do I sound like a sad loner for not having any friends willing to go on holiday with me?

2. LailaForbidden

Wow. I feel like i could've written this myself. Its been a conflict of mine as well, only I live in the US so it makes it harder to travel. Honestly, I think you should go for it. Or, if you don't feel comfortable, i'm sure there are tour groups and such that you could join and meet new people. I just don't think we should limit ourselves over this, you know?
    Best of luck :slight_smile:

3. starfish

I've a lot of traveling alone. I've been to

Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Seattle, Denver, Houston by my self. I've had a blast each time. People seem amazed that I went by myself. I figure why let that stop me from enjoying myself. If I hadn't gone I would have missed some of the most memorable experiences of my life.

Traveling along as it perks. If you want to do something, you can do it with worrying if the others want to do it.

I say go and have fun.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Traveling on your own can be fun! I have traveled to Germany by myself a couple of times, and it was fun every time. I have traveled to Hamburg, Bremen, and spent a couple of days in Berlin, by myself. I had a fantastic time on each occasion; seeing the different sights and just taking in the city. I never had to worry about needing to hurry up taking pictures or browsing through different bookshops or walking through a museum or historical place. The unexpected bonus: starting random conversations with people in coffee shops and on the streets. :slight_smile:

To give you an example, while I was in Berlin, during one of the evenings, I decided to go into a coffee and cake shop and take a break from sightseeing. While having a bite to eat, an elderly German gentleman comes over and asks me if I speak English because he needed help to understand a document that he had received from the owner of a flat in Spain that he rented out ever summer while vacationing there. That started us to get talking, and it was a highlight of that trip, as I had a great time talking with him. If I would have been with someone else, it might not have happened at all.

I have traveled also with other people, and while it can be fun too, I always found that I might hold back others, or having to hurry up with something. As starfish said:

If you want to travel, I'd say go for it even if you go by yourself.

5. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for comments guys. One of the main things which has bugged me about travelling with friends in the past is having to decide as a group what to do. I guess being able to do what you want when you want would be good :slight_smile:.

Mirko - Berlin is my favourite place! I've only been once and would love to go back. I guess I'm just worried that it would be boring being alone. I do like my own company though but I would need to meet people whilst I travel... How do you actually meet people in these places? I've always just seen the whole thing as very awkward because I'm quite shy around people I don't know.

6. Given To Fly

I've just returned from spending 11 days in Orlando, Florida on my own. I've travelled both alone and with friends all over Europe, on trips ranging from 1 day to a couple of weeks. I love the freedom of being able to choose my own schedule, and do what I want, when I want. There are so many cheap flights available to pretty much anywhere in Europe and beyond, even with the full fare airlines, so travel has never been so cheap.

I must admit that there are times when I wish I had someone to share my experiences with, but they soon pass.

7. i did a lot of travelling up and around the uk a year ago. i didnt mind it. i quite liked it. it was a lot cheaper too than being with someone else. yeah occasionally i wanted to just have someone there with me but it wasnt often. im quite anti-social anyways so it suited me fine :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

first time i did it i was petrified. but now its just something i do lol. im doing it again in a month or two then again a few months later :slight_smile:

go have fun!

if i went into a restaurant i didnt think 'omg they are gunna think i dont have any friends' i just made a joke about it 'table for one please billy no mates over here' lol.

TIP: research heavily where you are goin before hand so you dont look like a tourist. people alone are targeted for bad things happening to them e.t.c. just dont look like a tourist #1 rule.

#7 flyinhernikes, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2012
  8. Given To Fly

My first trip abroad was about 4 years ago, I went to Paris for a weekend. I was terrified - I can't speak more than a dozen words of French, none of which were much use in everyday touristy conversation!

+1 - always do your research. Especially the basics like how to get from the airport to town / hotel / wherever by bus or train. Taxis are universally expensive wherever you are.

9. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could join a tour group for a day or a tour through a museum.

In my experiences though, and depending where, some people will start a conversation when they realize you don't live there, or will say something that will allow you to start chatting with them. Although it did feel awkward once or twice at first, the awkwardness dissipated once the conversation started going.

10. Koan

Koan Guest

I both like travelling solo and with others.

Travelling solo has the huge benefit, that you get to interact more with the locals.

11. Vivi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is actually something I really want to do. The idea does seem a bit intimidating but I figure its better than missing out on loads of amazing places. I've heard it's really easy to meet people if you're travelling alone so I say go for it and enjoy yourself :thumbsup:

12. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for all your comments guys. Glad to see there are other people who have travelled alone or want to do so. I think the key thing is research. I'm good at that I think, when I go away with a group of friends I'm usually the person who does this anyway, so I guess it would be easy just doing it for myself. I envisage the most difficult thing being meeting people although I guess once you're there it might just happen naturally.

13. 6ix

6ix

Traveling alone is a great way to meet new people, especially if you stay at hostels or frequent local expat establishments. I lived in Thailand for 5 years and have traveled all over Asia on my own without really doing much research on the places I was going. Discovering the culture and various venues is more fun when you're in the moment IMO.