1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tattoos/piercings with jobs

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by WilliamM, Dec 2, 2012.

1. WilliamM

WilliamM Guest

Ok so i recently applied at a restaurant and they told me i would have to take out my earings and tongue ring and to cover up my tattoo. You cant really see my tattoo because its really high on my arm and my tongue ring is only visible if i laugh.
    But i applied at kohls and they hired me without saying anything about them.
    Both places deal with customers face to face.
    Anyway my point is i believe it is wrong to tell someone that they have to take out piercings and cover up tattoos(unless the tattoo is offensive then it should be covered up).
    Thats my opinion on this subject.
    I would like to hear what everyone else thinks about this subject :dry:

2. Kidd

Kidd Guest

It's probably more of a sanitation thing than a public relations one. When I worked in a factory a few summers ago as college help, I had to take out everything (I only have my lobes pierced, a rook piercing), just because I was working around cup buddies and paper plates and stuff that were going to be shipped out. Totally stupid, but I did it.

3. musicgeek13

musicgeek13 Guest

I think that theoretically a person should be able to have whatever they want but a business has they right to dictate how a person looks (ie. uniform). Technically tattoos and piercings fall under that so a company can have standards for them. In your case, I think that the difference between a restaurant and khols is the setting. Restaurants are typically more formal than khols, hence the no tattoos/ piercing thing.

4. ravenfire

I don't really think it's right for certain companies to require their employees to cover up/remove piercings and tattoos, but maybe my opinion is biased because I really want a nose piercing but I also really want to keep my options open as far as jobs go. Congrats on getting hired at kohls, though, that's one of my favorite stores :slight_smile:

5. Ticklish Fish

this example might be useful for some jobs where safety and consumer interest is greater. The manufacturing companies have US laws watching behind them should one of your rings affect or lost and enter in consumers' hands

as for tattoos.... I have no idea haha.

6. WilliamM

WilliamM Guest

. Congrats on getting hired at kohls, though, that's one of my favorite stores :slight_smile:[/QUOTE]

Thank you :icon_bigg

All interesting and valid points but at the same time ive been in alot of different restaurants where the employees had visible tattoos and pretty big gauges in their ears.

7. I think that companies have the right to tell their employees how to look when representing the company. The uniform policies are especially strict at theme parks, like at Disney Land. It's all about professionalism.

8. jimL

Some people are turned off by any body art.....an employer is within full rights to have requirements for their employees. No one is forcing you to work at their place. Its your choice to work there or not. You want to work...you need the job, you gota live by there rules. What you do on your own time is your business. Its the way of the world guys!

9. aeva

Having 4 tattoos myself, I understand why you may be frustrated, but I completely agree with the other posters: employers are perfectly justified in dictating how their workers look. While you are on the clock, you are representing them and need to look as professional as possible (and tattoos/piercings rarely do).

Their is definitely also a safety factor to think about when it comes to piercings. I work in veterinary medicine, so I don't wear any jewelry to work other than small studs. I've seen coworkers have necklaces broken or caught and earrings ripped out (down through the lobe). Even with the studs, a puppy once managed to get it out of my ear with his teeth. Thank goodness I have quick reflexes and grabbed it out of his mouth before he swallowed it! I don't even wear nail polish when assisting in surgery!

10. Bree

It really depends on the industry. Some companies do seem to go a bit over the top, though. Starbucks, for instance, doesn't allow any facial piercings--which is quite conservative for a cafe.

Mind you, I don't live in Texas. In this city about every fourth or fifth college student has more than pierced lobes; I have a labret.

Would they have made you take out standard lobe piercings? Unless the women had too as well that's gender discrimination.

11. idkdog

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    agree

12. CTJ

CTJ

Piercings i completely understand in a food based job. If it happened to fall out into a customers food it is a law suit waiting to happen, basic health and safety. Thats just the company covering its own back.

Tattoos on the other hand, i'm fed up with the discrimination people face over them. Unless they have some kind of offensive tattoo then it shouldn't really matter. Having a tattoo has no effect whatsoever on a persons ability to do a job. I don't even have tattoos but i seem to find myself defending those that do, it just seems like such a waste of a potentially great worker to not even consider them because they have some visible tattoos.

13. Monmon

Monmon Guest

I think that every company has a right to how their employees should look like, if they require you to remove it, then move to another company, it will be their loss, not yours. Besides if they are too uptight about their uniform, it will be them having less employees who might potentially be productive. They are only hindering themselves. It's their problem, so don't worry about it. Who's going to have negative feedback?

14. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    peircings & tattoos being associated w/ being 'unprofessional' looking is stupid tbh

15. PurpleCrab

Ok, I wrote a long reply for my internet failed and I lost it :frowning2:

So in short:
    About businesses discriminating against tattoos, and to answer to the people above me who claim it is their right to discriminate the appearance/presentation of their employees;

What if a business refused black people to work for them?
    What if a business only accepted cisgendered 18 years old females who weight under 150 pounds, are blonde and have huge breasts?
    What if a business refused all gingers because it's in their business policies that gingers have no soul?
    What if a business refused to hire women?

It would be outrageous, making the news and go down by law, that's what.

So where's the line between what physical discrimination is acceptable versus which isn't?
    Simple answer: no physical discrimination should be deemed acceptable.

Alright for taking off piercings in workplaces where they could hinder the work or pause some danger for anybody; that's very understandable.
    But tattoos don't pause any danger and they don't hinder anything, ever. If anything, the means taken to hide said tattoos are what hinders and possibly cause a danger.

16. Monmon

Monmon Guest

If they have no valid reason, it is not right and might even lead to some lawsuit. But business usually make excuses to not accept. I'll try to think of answers to your questions.

What if a business refused black people to work for them?
    maybe they are looking for people to endorse their tanning cream?

What if a business only accepted cisgendered 18 years old females who weight under 150 pounds, are blonde and have huge breasts?
    maybe it's a strip club, where they specialize in those.
    What if a business refused all gingers because it's in their business policies that gingers have no soul?
    i dont know what ginger is

What if a business refused to hire women?
    um maybe it's a male strip club? lol

17. Willjarvis

I'm not saying it's right, but when do employers hiring waiters not do things like this? Events agencies usually demand people with very good presentation. Frankly, I doubt they'd hire ugly people unless they can hide it. That means that having an unflattering haircut prevents one from getting the job. I've been turned down from applying for a job at a restaurant because they said they only hired waitresses and it wasn't exactly a Hooters type of establishment.

18. MichaelB

But that's discrimination at it's finest? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I agree with Purplecrab really. In a perfect society, peoples image and the like shouldn't matter when it comes to jobs. But it does.

I'd happily campaign to stop the discrimination of people with tattoos. But I don't see it happening any time soon. Because of that, I only get tattoos that are easy to hide and most of my piercings are subtle/can be taken out easily. The main reason I haven't got my tongue pierced yet is because I imagine it being awful to take out, and it seems quite noticeable to me. At least, I always notice when someone has a tongue piercing... xD

19. are you going to be waiting tables? if so its a hygiene issue. its because youre in contact with food and it could (more than likely not, but a small chance) a piercing could fall in someones food while youre bringing it to the table. most likely the women will have to have their hair tied back if long, also if a male has long hair then it will have t be tied back. its just health and safety.

sucks i know but its just rules.
    tattoos are more than likely because youll be in a 'respectable' environment. restaurants are usually snazzy, if a little expensive. its not like youre working in a cafe :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

ah ctj beat me too it!

20. MixedNutz

I think this is one of those "gray areas". Because in a perfect society none of see things should matter. But it's not perfect and certain companies feel the need to uphold a certain image to their patrons.

Would A+F hire a 55 year old over weight man?
    Would a 5 star manhattan restaurant hire a 24 year old female covered in tats and piercing a with pink am green hair?

These may be extremes but this is the general principal. Companies tend to hire what would be acceptable to and even draw in clients. It's not fair, I agree. its wrong, I agree but it is the world we live in.

One of my friends couldn't find a job, looking for months. I suggested "take your eyebrow and tongue ring out, but on a nice set of clothes. A week later he was hired.