1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facebook: Interested In?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 341, Dec 4, 2012.

?

My 'Interested in' option is..

1. Truthful

43 vote(s)
    32.3%
  2. A lie

19 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Empty

71 vote(s)
    53.4%
  1. 341

341 Guest

I'm just curious as to if you leave, lie or if you're truthful on the 'Interested In' option on Facebook. You would think it's simply your social 'out' status, but honestly around 60% of my gay/lesbian friends leave their 'interested in' option empty. I also know people who are in the closet sometimes choose not to select an option either; well I didn't when I was in the closet.

I've been truthful since I came out a couple of years ago:
    [​IMG]

#1 341, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2012
  2. Pain

Pain Guest

I changed it in October of this year, set to friends-viewable.

3. SkyDiver

4. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i have it set to liking womyn so lie. altho i also never use Facebook so idc anyway.

5. BudderMC

I don't have mine listed at all, but it's been like that since I joined Facebook. I don't care if people know that I'm into guys, but I've always been of the belief that Facebook isn't a dating site and that people don't need to know who I'm interested in.

As Facebook is generally a network of acquaintances (at least for me), they don't need to know. If they're close to me IRL, they'll have heard by now.

6. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've left it blank.

Although, since I'm the eternally single girl who doesn't date, I don't think it strikes anyone as strange.

7. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well... this reminded me I haven't changed mine to bi, so I just went and did that. So... truthful.

8. timo

empty. I don't see the point in filling it out basically because of this:

9. Ticklish Fish

it's empty ! :grin:

10. GayforGuys

As a closeted gay - I have my left blank...but honestly, people aren't stupid, if they stumbled upon your 'interested in' and saw it blank, they would no doubt have their suspicions. Kind of like well if he/she was straight why not set it appropriately. But then again making a judgement like that is a bit full on as well. From my experience my gay friend before he came out had his blank, and after coming out set it to 'interested in men'. Have a couple friends who I suspect could be gay that have theirs blank...think that may be called wishful thinking(a boy can dream!!)

11. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's been set to chicks and dicks for over a year now.
    :sunglasses:
    Feels great man.

12. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

Mine is empty as I do not have a facebook account.

13. Level75

If you leave it blank, "Interested in" does not appear.

Personally, I put my "Interested in" down truthfully. I don't often talk about my sexuality unless the subject were to actually come up. But if anybody is that intent on learning more about me, I figure it's there if they really want to know.

14. 341

341 Guest

I don't know why but I have the sudden urge to change my 'Interest in' option, I guess it would just be funny seeing people's responses. (I think it publishes that you changed it)

15. Xeno

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mine is truthful-ish, I have it set to men but I have it so that only select people can see it.

16. Neutrality

This reminded me that mine was just set to men, which..isn't really accurate, it is now fixed =O

17. iBlakexo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well i've set mine up so that it appears as empty to family members and other individuals of whom i would rather not be open with, but it says 'Interested in Men' to everyone else such as friends :slight_smile:

18. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    His point is that people that leave it blank draw suspicion about why they're leaving it blank. He is not wrong on that point, although I think it only applies to people who have fully fleshed out Facebook profiles. Someone with a sparse profile anyway is just shy about putting anything personal on.

Someone who has filled everything else out, who posts on their timeline a lot, has 500 friends, plays Farmville all the time or whatever, where the only thing they've still left blank is the 'interested in' section: that does look suspicious. One other condition: they must not be married or in a serious relationship of some kind. Very often people remove the 'interested in' when they get married because... well... they're not interested in anyone other than their spouse obviously.

19. Colours

I can't agree with this more.

I don't have it listed either. I think it used to say I was interested in girls, which wasn't really a lie. But since I was questioning and many other people had it blank as well, I figured I could change it to blank.

I don't know if I'm ever going to change it. I've always thought 'interested in' made it sound like Facebook was a dating sate, which it isn't.

20. GayforGuys

Thanks Spatula, was exactly the point I was trying to make, I could of worded it better though :lol: I know a couple of people who have fully fleshed out facebook profiles with just the 'Interested In' missing and it does make you wonder... :icon_wink