1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Pride

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JadedAndFrayed, Dec 6, 2012.

1. What does this term mean exactly? Does it mean that you are proud to have come out and live the gay lifestyle, or does it mean that you are just proud to be gay?

I'm to the point that I am no longer ashamed to be gay, but I'm not really proud of it either. Being gay is just part of who I am, kind of like being white. I'm not proud to be white (not that I'm ashamed of it either).

Is it ok for strait people to have "strait pride"?

2. WilliamM

WilliamM Guest

Gay pride to me is being happy with who you are and the fact you can accept it. Its not really a pride in being gay more as its me being happy with who i am. I feel like you do in a way. I dont really have gay pride like other gay people. and i guess straight people could have straight pride if they wanted lol

3. HalfInsane

I think pretty much every day in western society is Straight White Pride Day... they don't really need a day :wink:.

4. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

I dislike the term. I see it pointless to have pride something beyond your control. Some people who claim it just a slogan to express comfortability with their sexuality while others actually feel pride for being gay. Also, since we're asking questions, what is 'the gay lifestyle?' I've seen people say that, but I do not know what they mean.

5. Agreed. Strait pride sounds discriminating. So does white pride. I'm proud of myself for coming out, but not for being gay.

---------- Post added 6th Dec 2012 at 11:12 PM ----------

When I said "the gay lifestyle", I personally just meant loving partners of the same sex. It can mean a lot of things though.

6. Aielar

My goal isn't to feel proud of being a member of the lgbtq community, it's to feel comfortable and confident with myself and my sexual/gender identity regardless of whatever that happens to be. Although, like JadedandFrayed said, I am proud I took the risk of coming out - it takes a lot of courage to do so :slight_smile:

7. mojoe

I guess I've never understood the idea of "gay pride". I mean, maybe it's just an improper use of the English language, and the term is meant to describe someones' general acceptance of themselves. The feeling of pride should come from a persons satisfaction with their accomplishments or achievements in life. Personally, I think that using the term literally, as in someone being proud of simply being gay is no different than someone who is proud of being white. They both sound terrible, and are honestly not reasons to feel any sense of pride at all. This is one of those things that I feel cause more harm than good to the general population of LGBT people.

I will also add that I've never understood the phrase "gay community" as if I'm somehow not good enough, or too good to be a part of the general community I live in. Same goes for the phrase "gay lifestyle". These are things that just reinforce the fact that we are different from other people, and may make some more narrow-minded people see us as outsiders. Shouldn't the idea be focusing on all of our similarities despite the differences between us? Sorry for that little mini rant, just thoughts in my mind.

8. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Pride is one of those words that are seen as both a good and a bad thing to many people.

As for gay pride, many people see pride as the opposite of shame. When you have a society who hates who you are, who tells you to stop being that, and who denies you basic rights, then accepting yourself and not caring about what society thinks about you is an accomplishment.

Yes and no.

I get what you are saying because I used to feel the exact same way, but turns out that there is a reason to all the madness that we see.

People have tried assimilation for the longest time, they tried fitting in and being themselves quietly, they tried not being too loud in order to keep everyone happy, but it didn't work. It didn't work for the LGBT community and it hasn't worked for any minority that ever fought for their own freedom.

The idea of diversity is not "Hey, we are the same so you have to accept us". The idea is "Hey, we might be different in many ways, but that's fine and we should respect each other despite those differences".

The reason why any of us are here, in this forum, is because people had the balls to be loud, be different, and still ask for the same basic rights. Without any differences, then you don't have a reason for a movement and for change.

9. Night Rain

We are not proud because of our sexual orientations or sexual identities. We are not proud because we are different. We have this pride because we are not afraid of all the hardship, all the discrimination against us. We are not afraid to show who we are. We've survived through it all and we stand tall without shame.

That's the reason there's no straight pride. Straight people do not face discrimination based on their sexuality. Some people misunderstand the term and dislike it for something it isn't.

10. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    straight pride is stupid & completely misses the point of gay pride. not to mention that it usually involves homophobia & the idea of 'heterophobia'

11. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :soapbox: I don't care if people want to be proud of their heritage, their sexuality, their gender, their purebred pet, their weight... it all depends on the message behind why we are proud of something. The LGBTQ community needs some way to say "**** the haters!" because let's face it... we get plenty of hate. Our suicide rates are higher and we need to come to the point where we accept ourselves for who we are, whether it's in a rainbow tank top in a Gay Pride Parade, or just walking with a silent confidence in who we are.

Why does Gay Pride, or a man being effeminate, or having reversed gender roles even bother anyone? As a community we must stand together! (&&&)

I was never proud of who I am, and I wish I could show the world I am. Until then, I have you guys, and I would hope we wouldn't put ourselves down about showing Gay Pride within the community, yeah? :icon_bigg

12. Monmon

Monmon Guest

Gay pride is analogous to the word faggotry. It is the study and practice of living the homosexual lifestyle without fear of persecution. It is strongly against the discrimination and violence towards the homosexual species. It seeks to promote their acceptance worldwide. It is often symbolized by a rainbow flag and frequently holds events such as pride parades to spread awareness to perverted homophobes.

13. "I would hope we wouldn't put ourselves down about showing Gay Pride within the community, yeah?"

I'm not trying to put ourselves down or anything. The term "Gay Pride" gets thrown around a lot, and it just feels weird to be proud of simply being gay.

I guess I'm more proud of myself for accepting my sexuality and coming out.

14. MixedNutz

I think "gay pride" is more about acceptance. Acceptance of yourself, acceptance from others and just leaning to be comfortable in your own skin. I also think some of the parades in major cities though detract from this.