1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I kind of want to talk about the difference between true feelings and infatuation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wickerpark, Dec 7, 2012.

1. wickerpark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok, when I was growing up, I would pretend to have crushes on girls. I mean that quite literally, I would actually pretend and fool myself into having feelings for someone that weren't really there, as odd as that sounds. This happened multiple times. I'd just "pick" some random girl to have a crush on because it made me feel normal. I thought that it was expected of me to have a girlfriend, and I wanted to fit in. None of these crushes went anywhere, I never had a girlfriend or even went on a date. None of them were serious at all, most only lasted a couple of weeks before I found something that I didn't like about the girl and decided "she's not the one for me". Now, while all of this was going on I did have same-sex attractions and maybe even crushes (though I didn't understand them at the time), but I denied them and hid them deep down, no matter how real they felt or how attractive the boy was.

So, I've never actually had true romantic feelings for a girl (and I've never once had sexual feelings for a girl), but there was this one girl. She was tall and pretty, and I "chose" her to have a crush on (sounds creepy). Well, we were kind of friends and we texted a lot but I was too scared to make a move. When I finally got the nerve to ask her out, she said that we were better of as friends and that she was sorry if she led me on, which I actually understood. I was fine with being friends, and I told her we could just be friends, but eventually I must have gotten annoying because she started ignoring me. In reality, looking back on the whole situation, as strong as those feelings felt compared to anyone else, I realize that it was kind of infatuation or emotional obsession. I really just needed a friend, someone to talk to because I was lonely and I reached out for her in the wrong way. I was never even really sure what I felt, it certainly wasn't sexual and I don't think it was even romantic. It felt fake. I just wanted a friend and I thought by being with her I could have even more friends and somehow "fit into" heterosexuality, even though my homosexual feelings were growing stronger and they felt more real. Looking back, I realize that I can't just pick and choose who I have feelings for if those feelings aren't even truly romantic, and it needs to be for the person and not what the person can give me in terms of fitting into a group or having friends. Can anyone relate to this?

2. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I totally get what you're saying! My besf friend is a gay guy and we hang out heaps. When I'm not with him, I miss him. We have an emotional relationship. But I am not physically attracted to him. We hug and stuff and we love eachother but we are just really good friends. Nothing more. Its healthy to have emotional connections with people (as long as its not stalkerish lol!). Theres nothing wrong with that at all.

3. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    YES! I can relate so much!

When I was in 8th grade I'd pick out guys to obsess over... but I secretly kept asking myself what a crush really felt like... I was afraid for a long time I was a late bloomer. :lol: I had a best friend in 8th grade who I liked because he was nice to me, but it was just puppy love sorta. An innocent thing devoid of sexual thoughts.

4. MixedNutz

I can relate.

Sometimes the mind is stronger then we think. When i felt the need to fit the mold in my mind, I would start to have what I felt were crushes. But a crush is usually involving some sort of sexual feeling, and that was never there.

5. wickerpark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for your replies. I'm glad some people can relate to that type of feeling. Looking back on my childhood, it was all so silly and if I could back go I never would have had any of those feelings. Even if I'm straight, which I'm most likely not, I've never really had romantic or sexual feelings for a girl. I don't really know what to think about it. It's a big part of growing up, coming to terms with yourself and realizing you were lying about everything you thought you felt. Sometimes I feel like I've wasted so much time not being true to myself.

6. ameliawesome

haha honestly, i relate 100%. as much as i wish i hadn't wasted all that time, i also have to accept that everything has happened the way it has for a reason.

7. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was exactly the same way! Except with guys, of course.

I really wish my sex ed class hadn't dumped all this stuff about 'what a crush feels like' without at least mentioning that not everyone in the class would be heterosexual. I mean, I get why they didn't mention asexuals, because we're rare, but in a class of 30 kids you'd expect at least 3 who are gay or bi. And if they'd explained how to tell if you're attracted to a gender or not, I'd have found it easier to identify that I wasn't attracted to either.