1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My silly father...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 341, Dec 9, 2012.

1. 341

341 Guest

I just thought I would tell you all a little story about my father.

A few days after a came out to my parents which was a few years ago; I was sitting in the living room watching TV with my father and I guess he decided to start the 'after coming out' conversion (I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about).
    First he started talking about how I should had told him sooner so he could had helped me or whatever and then he started the questions; the first few questions were quite simple and what you would expect, but then he asked me something which really just shows how unaware of homosexuality he is.
    I ironically can not actually remember the question he asked me, but anyway, the question was basically referring to me as being transsexual. Once he asked the question I just looked at him in confusion and said "Dad, I'm gay not transgender...?", and then he said "Oh, I didn't know there was a difference".
    Later that day I pretty much gave him a little lesson on sexual orientation; I guess it's nice that he would had accepted me being transgender if I was? lol

I'm wondering if anything like this has happened to anybody else? :eusa_doh: or maybe my father is just a little thick?

2. Lewis

Haha! I would have laughed so much. I guess it's not because he's thick, but just a little ill educated in sexual orientation (so good job you have him that lesson).

It's nice that your dad wished he knew so that he could have supported you. :slight_smile:

3. Fumi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Something similar happened to me when I came out to my mom, she literally asked me: "So does that mean you'll start dressing as a girl?", so I also had to explain to her what being gay means.

4. Given To Fly

I wouldn't say he's thick - he just hasn't had the opportunity to learn about such things.

I've been on this site since July, and I'm still figuring out what all the different 'labels' mean. In some ways I'm scared I'm going to say the wrong thing to someone and upset them without meaning to.

5. Bree

Is it wrong to think that's kind of funny?

Ah well, as you said, he was willing to accept you regardless, and now he knows better.

6. WilliamM

WilliamM Guest

My sister asked that in a way except she said if i was still into guy things. I just had to laugh for like 5 minutes when she asked that.