1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant against Christmas Music

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Caudex, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Caudex

Caudex Guest

I've been pulling ten hour shifts at my local mall for a local food bank, we have a table in it. And they have obnoxiously loud Christmas music on. And it repeats every two hours.
    There are so many awful songs.
    I can't take it.
    One is someone singing Jingle Bells but really really fast and with a funky tempo--she'll do the jingle bells part really fast and then the oh what fun part really slow.

I'm going to kill someone if I have to keep this up, anyone else have this problem?

2. Capichino

No but I hope u don't kill any one but hope they stop playin it mabye ask ur boss or someone ...

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Fortunately no. I work as a programmer, not in retail, and I don't have television. So I don't have to deal with this. Sorry that things are so profoundly annoying for you. That's legitimately pretty bad.

4. MixedNutz

I just find Christmas music to bring out the side of me that wants murder people.

5. Given To Fly

I don't get why shopping centres have to play Christmas music at such volumes. Personally I find it nauseating to the extent I buy most of the stuff I need for presents online.

I'm not religious, but Christmas has completely lost it's meaning. Now it is just this huge commercial enterprise, full of pressure to spend money many of us don't have. Argh. Rant over lol

6. FunnyMonkey

I work at Santa's land, Christmas sing along CDs is all we can listen to.
    Think of kidz bop xmas for 9hr and little kids. I think I can just tune it out by now. good luck !!

7. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Wow that must get so annoying...

Perhaps bring an iPhone/iPod etc to work and listen to your own music during break/when nobody is around? The change in music should take your mind off it for a bit and make it more bearable.

All the best.

8. CTJ

CTJ

I work in a supermarket, Christmas started in September for me. Luckily my department only has one speaker above it, so i rarely notice the songs unless its one i particularly like. It does get annoying when you hear 5 different versions of 'Santa Claus is coming to town' every day (Bruce Springsteens version is clearly the best).

9. Beachboi92

my feelings about christmas music… burn it… burn it all

---------- Post added 10th Dec 2012 at 10:45 AM ----------

or at least when I have a retail job

10. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm one of the most rabid anti-christian (well to be fair, anti-religion) people you will ever meet. I am disgusted to the core by the effect religion has and hate that it still manages not just to eke out an existence, but hold on to a vast majority of the human population by sheer strength of guilt, fear and banality.

So i hope you're ready for this.

I love Christian music.

I hate awful music, like Jingle Bells, i mean that's just crass. I mean real Christian music. Not just Handel (or any other composer you would be likely to name) but yes, even christmas carols: We Three Kings, Carol of the Bells, The Little Drummer Boy, A'Soalin'...

Christianity, for all its horribleness, has inspired some wonderful art which i hope will never fade from memory.

#10 Pseudojim, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  11. Eurinthe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've always heard Christmas music in stores, but I never realized how bad it must be for the employees. I don't hate it, but I don't love it, either; I think (and I'm sure lots of others would agree) that there's better, more enriching music to listen to than Christmas music...

12. LightningRider

I'll agree! Christmas music is horribly repetitive and makes me want to go on a murder rampage.
    My boss demands that we only play Christmas music through our store stereo and it's horrible shitty badly sung Christmas music.
    We've actually had a customer turn the stereo off at the wall once :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I think SOME Christmas music is okay but it has to be mixed in with regular music so that it's not just Christmas music all the time.

13. qboy

Used to love Christmas and all the music and stuff, then I had my first winter working in a shop - putting out the xmas decorations as the uni students arrived in town (i.e. late September!), and the xmas music following a week later - argh!!!!!

I now refuse to play xmas music, get any presents, or write any cards until December 1st, and when the radio inevitably plays an xmas tune I retune.

Just been making my car CD for listening too on the way home this xmas - full of Indie/Rock and Pop tunes with no a single xmas tune on (it will inevitably sit in the stereo until summer anyway). I'm sure if I really want to get a Christmas tune I can flick to Gem 106, Signal 1 or Real Radio and they will be playing plenty - and if not there is always Smooth Radio Xmas!

Last Christmas we even put some xmas music on in the office in the days leading up to xmas (a wide variety tbh) - but even still I ended up playing "The Best Summer Album in the world ever...." :grin:

14. DarkClarity

I really do feel for those who work in the retail sector. As far as I know, nobody enjoys listening to christmas music while shopping and the poor staff who have to listen to the crap all day don't like it so why do they play it? Because the higher-ups are bunch of sociopaths who get off of all our misery. End the abomination that is horrible christmas music and liberate the oppressed retail worker. In fact, ban music in shops full stop. That way no worker ever again would have to endure the horror of One Direction and other rubbish pop artist.

Okay, nonsensical rant over.

15. SparkDT

I'm not a huge fan of Christmas music either.

16. Gen

Gen

'Carol of the Bells' destroys all other Christmas music. There is just no comparison.

Aside from that, and a few others, I'm not a fan of most Christmas music.

17. Bolin

I cannot stand Christmas music. I hate it with a passion. ESPECIALLY "Silver Bells" and "Christmas Shoes." The only "Christmas" music I like is the classical music that's played near Christmas time. I put "Christmas" in quotes, since a lot of it wasn't even written for Christmas time (Handel's famous "Hallelujah" chorus was written for a secular performance despite the religious content, some of Vivaldi's concerti are played during this time for some odd reason (and not even his specifically designated "per il Natale" (for nativity) concertos), some of Bach's religious cantatas (again, not even his works specifically for Christmas)).

18. Polter91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I love Christmas music and I do not mind when they play it at work (grocery store), it's ten times better than the radio where they play the same 5 songs in the store constantly.

19. dudedette

I was ok with christmas music....until I heard the same christmas music play over sung by different artists.

I noticed that there are so few christmas songs, just a lot of different "versions of each christmas song.

...."last christmas I gave you my heart, the very next day, you gave it away...."

20. TotallyaGirl

TotallyaGirl Guest

I love new York jazz style Christmas stuff. The rest of it can go to hell