1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Study Abroad?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Shyguy5, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Shyguy5

I've gotten a flyer about a class at my school where 30 students get to sign up for a summer class in New York. My financial aid is able to pay for it but I'm a little uncertain.

I've never traveled before and most definitely never been on a plan expet as a baby but I don't really count that experience.

Has anyone ever taken a study abroad class and give me advice?:help:

2. caughtbywitness

3. WilliamM

WilliamM Guest

I would love too. I almost had the chance through a program my teacher last year signed me up for it was to spend a month in europe to study some things and to meet students from europe but i was too unsure so i never did it

4. Shyguy5

What made you so unsure? I'm the first in my family to go to college... So I feel unsure and a little scared since I have no advice or experience. If it matters, my family isn't the travel type and I feel alone thinking about whether I should or shouldn't

5. Bree

Go for it!

I did a high school exchange to Thailand, which isn't the same thing...but you'll be amazed at how much you'll grow. Even if you hate it you'll learn a lot about yourself, and chances are you'll have a ton of fun.

Which would you regret more? Going and not liking it, or not going and wishing that you had?

6. Shyguy5

Yeah, I feel like going but I don't know how I would tell my parents... "Hey mom and dad I'm going to New York. Bye!" I could talk to my sister since she traveled by plane before for work... My parents aren't necessarily close to me and my siblings

7. WilliamM

WilliamM Guest

I felt unsure if i would like it. I never really been outside the bordering states that i live around. And there was also a money issue cuz we were on a really tight budget

8. Shyguy5

Yeah, I can understand. I feel excited for an adventure but scared since my parents would be indifferent about the situation

9. WilliamM

WilliamM Guest

Well i say go for it i wish i did it would of been great. I mite try something like that next year when i get to collage if i can. I enjoy making new friends its a good way to see the world. Good luck :slight_smile:

10. Shyguy5

Update

I decided on going on the trip. I'm really excited since it'll be the first time I visited and explored a big city. A great thing to do before I transfer to a 4 year in the fall.

11. toaster

I hope you have great fun. It's a good choice. You'll meet new people, learn new things and do things you never you think you'll do!

12. NicoleV96

NicoleV96 Guest

Good luck with it, I'm sure it'll be an exciting new experience for you. I have the same situation as well, there's a summer program up in New Hampshire that I have the chance to go to, just as long as my application is good enough for acceptance. I had the same concerns about never being away by myself for that long, in a different state, that's hours away from where I am. I'm not passing up the opportunity though, it seems like fun to be distant for a while, learn new things, meet new people, overall, it should be really exciting.