1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Debating with rude people online

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by FemCasanova, Dec 11, 2012.

1. FemCasanova

So, I usually debate movies and series online. There`s this line between seperating between person, and the opinion. You can disagree with and dislike the opinion, but you don`t transfer the disagreement over to the person. For example, you might think that a person`s opinions regarding a matter is illogical (add because of, and I think), but you don`t then state (or think) that this person is unintelligent. You might feel that a certain person is blinded by his attraction to, or engagement in, a character, but you don`t proceed to write in a condescending way, because we`ve all been there.

My issue lately, is that I am getting so fed up, with people seemingly losing their civility and normal polite behavior, as soon as they have a computer in their hands! What is up with that? Why is it, in our modern society, so damned easy to forget that there is a living person behind the screen on the other side?

And stupid me cannot seem to stop myself from trying to "make peace" and "agree to live and let live." I am not talking about serious trolls. The kind that go out of their way to provoke a reaction, because they find it humorous. I am talking about seemingly intelligent and decent people, who`ll be fine mostly in every post, but who`ll suddenly as soon as you are on opposite side regarding a topic, cross that line in an eyeblink, and start acting like if they can say anything they want, without regard for how that makes you feel, because "a person so blind and dumb as you, deserve it!". I mean, what the he**??? Is this what online access is making us? A**-holes?

Yeah, I doubt it isn`t appearant in my post, that this has happened recently. On earlier occations, I have just shrugged it off. But recently a poster who I felt was intelligent and had good opinions, went high-wire on me for the simple reason that I felt one character was getting less screen-time than the other. She stated, that I beyond doubt was completely wrong. I went on to say that we`d just have to agree to disagree on the matter. A couple of posts back and forth, where all I did was bring up examples from the series, count up episodes, to try and support my opinion, it ended up with me sending me this message about how obviously blinded and unintelligent I was, and how she was eye-rolling and mentally ignoring every word I wrote. She also wrote that she hoped other posters would at some point "put me in my place."

I sat there, completely numb-funded, because I hadn`t once crossed over and written anything personal about her. I hadn`t told her she was wrong, I hadn`t stated that I was right, I had gone completely by the "I respect you opinion, but I still disagree, because, blah blah, examples, etc." And with other posters on that page, I have had just fine communication with. When I have had an opposite opinion of something, and been proven wrong, I have admitted to it with a smile. I don`t have a problem being wrong, I don`t assume I am right all the time.

I shouldn`t let this make me feel bad, but I don`t mind it when it comes from a troll. They live for pulling reactions out of people. But considering this came from someone who I felt was an intelligent and decent poster, I can`t help but think, what the heck did I write that made her feel she was entitled to talk to me in that way? Calling me a stupid, blind sweetie (now I officially hate that word), and that posters will put me in my place ... God, I don`t reckon I`ll ever be the smartest person in any room, but I`ve always gotten good grades, I would describe myself as an able debater, I always try to see each case from more than one side. So, try to fix it, by asking what it is in my post that pissed her off so badly that she`d fall to the level of writing to me that way. Which when in the past it has happened, I`ll usually just get the trollish answer, "Just because you are stupid."

And I know at this a lot of people would say, if you can`t take the heat, get ... blah blah. But seriously, should I really have to refrain from going certain places, because people can`t be civil? Why do we who like to play nice, always have to be the ones to adjust and remove ourselves? I almost wish I had been the kind of person to not give a sh**. who didn`t respect other people and who certainly did not care about internet etiquette. God, sometimes it sucks when all you want is for people to like and respect you.

2. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

They fail to realize that the word 'disagree' immediately indicates a subjective matter. Wouldn't you agree, sweetie? If you don't, then you're stupid. Because I'm always right and so are people who agree with me. Offensive too. How dare you think differently!

#2 plasticcrows, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  3. FemCasanova

I assume you didn`t mean this, that you were trying to make a point. Apparently I am more upset about this than I thought, because reading this post I actually started crying. I am so sick and tired of being called stupid. God, I am totally over-reacting to this. Normally I would consider myself a relatively tough person, but even I`ve got my achilles. Makes me wish my girl-friend was the tough hard-hitting one, so she could punch someone out for me. Which is hilarious, because in our relationship, she`s the adorable one, and I`m the macho dyke. At least personality-wise, not look-wise. Actually, sitting here crying over this, I deserve to be punched myself. Sweetie, my a** :bang: Condescending, patronizing, low-life :***:. Why, oh why, couldn`t it be possible with violent reactions through the screen??

Great, now, when I read your post over and over again, it is actually pissing me off, yet I am suddenly feeling a little better. Maybe I`m going to just sit here, swearing for a bit!

:***::***::***::***::***::***::***::***:

4. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

Oh... I apologize, that wasn't what I intended at all. From what I can gather, you're not stupid at all, especially if you're able to recognize the fallacy in the kind of logic I showd in that post.

You may not want to hear it right now, but removing yourself from the argument temporarily really helps when trying to stay level headed. Or even removing yourself from the argument entirely. If someone isn't able to argue without resorting to insults, they aren't worth the effort.

#4 plasticcrows, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  5. FemCasanova

Oh, no, it`s me being a little overly sensitive right now. When I get gut-punched like that, I start questioning myself, and from there it`s very easy to assume that other people agree with the one gut-punching you. I did get it, when you edited it and added that line, that you hadn`t meant it in a bad way, that it was actually supportive. So, it`s okay (*hug*)

And I think you are right about removing myself from the discussion. I guess my problem is that even though these things do not occur often, if you are an avid forum user, like I am, you`ll end up in that situation at least once every month, because there are so many of them out there who act like this. But mostly, they are trolls, and trolls I handle fine. It was just the fact that I respected this person, that made her able to catch me off guard. I wasn`t expecting it.

Thanks for being nice, and I am sorry if I made you worried with my response (*hug*)

6. redstormrising

I just try to keep in mind that the people who feel they need to attack the person and not the argument generally do so because they are incapable of sufficiently backing up and/or articulating their own viewpoint. If you have a legitimate argument and are able to articulate it clearly, you will have no need to attack your "opponent" personally instead of his/her arguments. Or, put more simply, a personal attack is the flailing last-ditch attempt of a sore loser :slight_smile:

7. FemCasanova

Yeah, you are right about that. I try to do that as well, but I guess I should get better at it. Sometimes it feels like a weakness to care about what people think, but generally I do. I just really hate arguing with people. I love debating though, and like plasticcrows wrote, as long as you aren`t the type of person who assumes that a personal opinion equals the truth, and that makes you automatically right regardless of what points anyone else has, a discussion can be fun, it can make you aware of things you didn`t consider earlier, or help you see things in a different light. So, I generally love discussing things, but I hate arguments, and I can be a little too vulnerable to personal attacks if I have the other person in a generally high regard in the first place. Which I tend to automatically have, for some reason :confused:

8. caramba2654

Exactly. After all, the discussion will bring nothing but bad things. And the opinions will stay different. Heck, they even lose focus from the discussion sometimes!

For me, I just state and prove my opinions when I find someone worthy to receive them, let it be smart, stupid, tall, short, gay, straight, brony, furry, upside-down, inside-out, heavily-damaged-by-awesomeness-of-the-topic, etc.

9. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Attack the post not the poster is a rule I try to live by.
    Working fine so far.

10. FemCasanova

And I am glad some of us do :slight_smile:

I am more the "don`t attack, just present a different view" kind of debater. I like to take the "I see your point, but I disagree because *insert various arguments and supportive facts*. It mostly works for me, unless the other person seems to have decided on beforehand that they are going to win no matter the cost. Like if there`s a game in it. Which I don`t feel there should be. There should always be room for differences in opinion.

11. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I debate, I only attack a post. I first start off by calmly addressing the problem. Then if they keep presenting the same argument, I will break it down and explain why I see it as I do.

If I get really mad, I start attacking the person. I've gotten good at stopping myself before this happens though.

12. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

I find that it's most effective to insult their mother instead.

13. Linthras

Linthras Guest

This. First I explain why I disagree.
    If however the other person, for example, keeps presenting baseless assertions or outright refuted claims as fact, I will state so and point out how disengenuous and silly his/her arguments are.

14. FemCasanova

Lol, that one wouldn`t work on me, because my mother is a big air-head, and even if you did it straight to her face she`d laugh it away and start talking about how terrible her boyfriend is :lol: My mother has an amazing ability to hear only what she wishes to hear!

15. Fiddledeedee

16. Zaio

Zaio Guest

I'm going to have to start off with I haven't even read all of your main posts or others posts, but the title "Debating with rude people online" already gives me what I'm going to say.

I've been playing games online for at least 7 years, lately I'm beginning to think trolls are more common than people. People behind computers can say what they want with no repercussions, as they know how to argue but won't do it if there's a risk of them being hit.

If you're going to do anything online, don't take anything seriously, it's just pointless. If you can teach one person to be nice, can you also teach the other billion to be nice too please? Not going to happen I'm afraid.

All the best.

17. Shyguy5

In my interpersonal communication class, I learned that in conflict people start insult the other person to "save face" and eventually the argument is just about that.

18. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    No. We are already a bunch os assholes. What online access make us is give us a mask of anonymity wich let us overpass the need to be polite.

Fighting online with other people will not bring any sensible consecuences, and thus makes it easier.

19. aeva

I'm actually a lot more polite online than I tend to be in person.

In 'real life', it depends on the person I'm talking to. If the other party remains logical and level-headed, I have no problem doing so myself, and it often leads to some great conversations and an interesting learning oppurtunity. If they get angry and wild, I tend to become more so as well. My 'flight' response when in person is completely absent due to my experiences as a child. When I was a young, my therapist suggested simply removing myself from altercations with my father when things got heated, but he would grab me, drag me and pin me against the wall if I tried to walk away when he got aggressive. 18 years of being treated this way has meant that as an adult, I don't back down from a fight (verbal only, I would never become violent). I am stubborn as all hell regardless of the situation, but it only becomes an issue when there is a major disagreement, especially when I'm debating/fighting somebody who is equally as stubborn. My ex and I had a fight for 4 hours about whether a certain phrase in french was a question or not, even though I took it for 6 years and he'd dropped out after 1 semester.

Online, I usually attempt to be reasoned and eloquent, and have a much easier time simply dropping subjects if they become too volatile or are obviously becoming redundant. My instinct is never to attack somebody on a personal level, although I suppose it may occasionally occur unintentionally, or be assumed as such. I would never result to offensive slurs or name-calling as that is simply childish, and the hallmark of one who has no faith in their argument. Instead, I prefer to offer my opinion or experience (making it clear that that is what they are), or explain simple, solid fact. Of course emotions will get stirred with certain topics, or I may get frustrated by my repetitive explanations falling on deaf ears, but for the most part I am a lot more civil and controlled online.

20. FemCasanova

I have to protest at this, because I am definitely not an a**-hole :icon_wink

In fact, I am happier when people like me, so I do my best to ensure it. Maybe a bit too much? I definitely could do with learning to master some more b**chy methods. Or at least develop a good b**ch face. Though I don`t really find it very attractive, lol.

On a side-note, this person began writing her posts to me like that after I added the link to pro-marriage for same sex couples. If I had paranoid tendencies, I`d suspect that was the reason for her overly hostile attitude, as I seriously was excessively polite towards her, even as she begun the name-calling. I didn`t let myself sink to that level. But, since I like to believe the better about people, I won`t assume it was anti-gay attitude that led to her behavior. She must simply be a b**ch!

---------- Post added 14th Dec 2012 at 05:26 AM ----------

I agree this is extremely irritating, and particularily when they ignore everything you wrote, all the arguments, and rather grab onto the one sentence they can twist out of its meaning, just to have something to argue about.

From your description, you sound like what I feel is a good online debater :slight_smile: I guess I could get better at leaving the discussion at an earlier point, usually I stick with it, often if the other poster seems to misunderstand what I meant.