1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Techniques On How To Deepen Your Voice?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BoiGeorge, Dec 13, 2012.

1. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

As an FTM, I would like to know some tricks of the trade from others on how to make your voice deeper without drugs or anything. Its the main thing thats giving me away as a girl and I would really like to speak in a deeper voice. Ideas?

2. rday13

rday13 Guest

Starting T does lower your voice significantly. In combination with a vocal coach, it would help you achieve the desired effect (Source: a good FTM friend currently in year 2 of T).
    Someone else suggested smoking, which does have the effect of deepening your voice, but also can result in an unnatural hoarseness - not recommended obviously, due to health effects. Cons definitely outweigh the pros on this one.
    If you're just on your own at the moment, there's a whole bunch of stuff online! I just googled 'voice deepening' and got a lot of hits, both from articles and Youtube. Maybe that might be a good start. Wikihow article here: How to Talk With a Deeper Voice: 15 steps - wikiHow
    Just throwing some stuff out there. Hope you find it useful :slight_smile:

3. Capichino

I'm a boy so I still talk freaky high. My step mom is a choir teacher and I watch her practices and u have to get ur vocal coards deeper or vibrate more the higher u go the less viberation in the throat best of wishes

4. Deaf Not Blind

I bet Im higher! Since I was 6 I could sing the songs from the musical Oliver and with the boys choirs on tv...1st soprano! Only the top notes I strain for. But I have a good range, can sing into 1st tenor. I just can't do Johnny Cash. :frowning2: And me and grandad used to sign his songs in the jeep when I was 7, before he died. Wish one day i could get all the notes.

5. Ruthven

There is something called "booming" your voice, but some other FtMs have said it can mess up your vocal cords...I haven't really looked into it (maybe I'll do some research later), so I don't know for sure if it's a dangerous thing.

My voice is definitely female-sounding and it gets to me sometimes, but I'm not gonna do any sort of techniques and just wait til I'm on T and have it work its magic.

6. Deaf Not Blind

i read that it is possible the range of voice can be more maintained if you do slow low does of T in patches etc. I don't know if it is true.

7. Odahingum

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can take acting lessons and focus on voice techniques. I remember having read somewhere that a classical actor was expected to be able to play king, queen, prince, princess, tyrant, old man, or old woman, just by shaping his voice.

8. SomeNights

You got it backwards there bud. Higher frequencies = more vibrations. Lower frequencies = Less.

It'll sound really unnatural at first, but slow down your speach and try to talk more from your lower chest than your throat.

9. Capichino

Lol I'm 13 have not even started puppetry just a TMI but ya u probly I do y sing I'm horrible at it

---------- Post added 13th Dec 2012 at 11:33 PM ----------

Ooo hmm idk that

10. Waterlilly

The pitch and timbre of the voice is caused by vocal formats. They are areas of resonance in your mouth and throat. The more space you give them especially in the back of the throat, the darker and lower your voice will be.

11. GingerGuy

I've heard that constantly speaking lower than your natural voice can cause your voice to tire and a lot of pain... It happens a lot with actors and radio speakers. It's called BBS (bogart Bacall syndrome)