1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sexuality on forms

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GayforGuys, Dec 13, 2012.

1. GayforGuys

The other day I was in the doctors and near the end of my appointment I had to fill out a form, well the doctor did - I had to dictate my answers which lead to an unexpected question about my sexuality. Now I'm comfortable with my sexuality, but I've still to come out to alot of people and here was this doctor asking, I very awkwardly told him I'm Gay, and he couldn't give two shits and answered the rest. I have had this experience a couple of times at Job Interviews, School, Hospital all as part of the Equality Act or something.
    My question to all of you peeps is have you had any awkward experiences as a result of disclosing your sexuality at a seemingly unrelated time?

2. 341

341 Guest

I used to find some situations awkward, but now I'm just so used to it. xD

3. Given To Fly

Strangely I'm actually looking forward to the next time I get asked that on a form :slight_smile:

4. i always tick 'no answer' if that is an option. i just find it awkward, ive always ticked it even on my job form.

5. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Why do they even need to know your sexuality?:confused:

6. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've never even seen that on a form. I think in my state it's illegal for anyone to even ask that.

7. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I don't think that's ever asked here, unless you have a STD perhaps, they might ask about your sexual history.
    Sexuality is never asked AFAIK.

8. spiderweb

spiderweb Guest

At the Student Health Center at my university here, that question was on the form my friend had to fill out. If I recall correctly, the choices to the question along the lines of "who are you attracted to" were Men, Women, or Both. That was the first time I had seen this asked.

9. rday13

rday13 Guest

My university used to do a health survey every year which asked about sexuality.
    It was anonymous, and there were dropboxes throughout campus, great way to collect information with regard to sensitivity.
    This wasn't a form but I had a conversation with my family doctor about my orientation and she was very professional and cool about it. <3 cool doctors!

10. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I can understand polls and stastical research, when permission is asked and the goal clearly stated.
    I don't see any reason a doctor would need to know your sexuality though.

11. castle walls

I've been asked about my sexuality by the majority of the doctors that I've seen. Often times, they assume I'm straight, apologize, and then ask about my sexual orientation. One doctor told me he asked to "better assist me as a physician".

12. Deaf Not Blind

i don't care if they call it inclusionary, it is nobodies business who anybody is sexually attracted to. that is personal. it should be illegal.

---------- Post added 13th Dec 2012 at 10:58 AM ----------

i don't see how they could be less of a good physician without knowing if you are virgin, sexually promiscuous, lesbian, straight, both...nobody should be a doctor if they can't offer all info to all patients equally. if a patient has a problem, they can ask...he should be prepared.

13. Sherri

I could see a doctor asking it. Whether you like it or not, it is relevant to your health. Your doctor should know. Your employer?? Not so much.

14. Linthras

Linthras Guest

And does he have a study on how a gay man/women differs physically from a straight one?
    Really sounds bogus to me.

---------- Post added 13th Dec 2012 at 07:04 PM ----------

How is being gay relevant to your health if you're still a virgin?

15. castle walls

It could be bogus considering I was seeing the doctor for an asthma inhaler and he wasn't my doctor so I was only going to see him that one time. I don't see how my sexuality was any of his business, especially in that situation

16. Neutrality

Doctors and researchers/colleges can ask things like this, but in the US it's aginst the law for an employer to ask for this kind on information.

17. GuidingLight

The only thing scientific thing I can remember is that there is a theory that increased levels of testosterone exposed to female in the uterus were more likely to be gay and vise versa. Homosexuality tends to run in families. There is a gene Xq28 that shows a link with male homosexuality. I recently read an article that told about a mutation on a certain part of a gene ect.

Employers really have no business asking. Dr's do in a sense if they need to deal with safe sex ect.

18. leer

if it was for a job interview or collage related i would lie as I dont see why they need to know am proud of who i am but its just not relevant to others IMO

19. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I hate it when i have to pick which gender i am on forms! I have no idea which one to circle! :O

20. rday13

rday13 Guest

My college addressed this by removing option boxes and using a blank line, allowing people to fill in what they identified as.

In response to other people, I feel that colleges and doctors ask mainly from health standpoints, as it relates to student health. Since I had gone to ask my doctor a question of a sexual nature, she naturally inquired, as it would allow her as a physician to assist me better. Certain populations have higher health risks, and I'd rather my doctor know and be able to provide me any information that would help me make informed decisions about my sexual health as a gay man.

I agree that I should not have to disclose anything to my employer. They don't deal with my health so it's none of their business.