1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing Environment?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SkyDiver, Dec 13, 2012.

?

Where is your community and how much has it changed in the past few years on Lrights?

1. North America - More accepting of LGBTQs.

36 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. North America - Less accepting of LGBTQs.

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  3. North America - No change.

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. Europe - More accepting of LGBTQs.

15 vote(s)
    23.8%
  5. Europe - Less accepting of LGBTQs.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Europe - No change.

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  7. Australia - More accepting of LGBTQs.

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  8. Australia - Less accepting of LGBTs.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Australia - No change.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Asia -More accepting of LGBTQs.

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  11. Asia - Less accepting of LGBTQs.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Asia - No change.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. South America - More accepting of LGBTQs.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. South America - Less accepting of LGBTQs.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. South America - No change.

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  16. Africa - More accepting of LGBTQs.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Africa - Less accepting of LGBTQs.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Africa - No change.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SkyDiver

Another one of my little curiosities. :slight_smile: I love the fact that we can post polls.

Oops, ran out of room on the title. It's supposed to say "Where is your community and how much has it changed in the past few years on LGBTQ rights?"

#1 SkyDiver, Dec 13, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  2. MixedNutz

I recently moved to a town in NJ which is self proclaimed "gay friendly"

They have a pride day and a small parade. Amazing.

3. Pain

Pain Guest

I voted N. America, more accepting, because I moved, essentially, to a very liberal town when I left for college. But back home, there's no change, I'm fairly certain.

4. Bolin

I was tempted to choose "North America - No Change", but I've forgotten that South Carolina has done some small changes in favor of LGBT individuals (like including sexuality in the "no discrimination" disclosures for several colleges and universities), so I chose "more accepting" even though it's just a tiny bit.

5. vyvance

North America - No Change

West Texas is allergic to change.

6. timo

Europe, positive change.

More and more countries are allowing gay marriage or are planning to allow it (France, UK for example). The Netherlands already had same sex marriage so no change there, but our government decided kids should have lessons on homosexuality and transgender, so they're more aware of the subject and therefore probably less hateful. So yay, progression!

7. Britern

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I voted: Europe, there has been positive change.

Although I don't believe there's been huge positive change in how LGBTQ people are viewed and treated across Europe, I think that looking at government legislation which is being planned in France, the UK, Luxembourg and Finland for same-sex marriage to be introduced, we can say that there has been positive change - in comparison to the politics in the US, Europe is such a forward looking continent.

8. BajanBoy13

Caribbean-Still Death Penalty :/

9. Harve

UK: a remarkably rapid change. There is now quite easily a lot more shame in being homophobic than homosexual.

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I moved to northern Ohio for school and the town that I am in is really accepting. My hometown has made some progress when it comes to being accepting though.

11. Capichino

No change in north docota

12. TallButShort

TallButShort Guest

" on 1 December 2006 South Africa became the fifth country in the world, and the first in Africa, to legalise same-sex marriage."

Over here there was a rapid change somehow. Luckily it was for the good and not the bad :icon_bigg

13. FJ Cruiser

Ha, I'm originally from West Texas, and it seems like my hometown has become more accepting. Maybe I'm just being overly optimistic, but it really seems like people there have started appreciating the arts more and becoming more open-minded in general. Slacker-artsy types (which stereotypically are chock full of homos :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) have started gravitating toward the university there, slowly displacing all the rednecks and douchey wealthy kids that it's become known for, which has an effect on the whole city feels given that it kinda revolves around the university.

14. 807

Europe, no change. Still haters, still those political supporters who do so because it fits their idea of of what they stand for, rather than because it's the right thing to do.
    I want rights because I have a right to them, not because it's a good political or idealistic idea.

15. Scaramouche

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I live in the "Bible Belt" so change is either minimal or non existent. However, I think North America is more accepting overall.

16. Sherri

I'll agree with this. Where I live, people are willing to look the other way if you shut up, but when it comes time to demand equal rights, people get nasty. I've seen nothing but negative change in my community these past few years.

17. Salazar

I'm in the UK, so (unfortunately :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) Europe. Definitely much more accepting. In the UK alone, civil partnerships were brought in 7 years ago for gay peeps, and now, if all goes well, we should have both civil and religious marriage by the stars of 2014!

18. samizer0313

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well where I live in North America, I can't be out to everyone because it is an invitation to make fun of me more...
    I hate small towns...

19. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sadly, with the USA, we have become too politically correct. When this country began passing all of the anti-bullying laws, they were forced to include EVERYONE including the LGBT community. I think more people were forced to be accepting of the LGBT community rather making the actual personal decision to accept. As far as the states who legalized gay marriage....I think most people's views were 'If we pass this, how does this directly affect me?'....which it doesn't affect anyone but the LGBT community.

Another reason it appears that the USA is more accepting is because of 'Hollywood'. We see more and more gay and lesbian characters on TV shows. We also see famous people coming out of the closet. I don't know why people are more accepting because it's someone famous...I don't get that. Michael Jackson is the perfect example of this.

20. J Snow

This is pretty optimistic. Out of the 64 current voters only 1 person felt that there area has gotten worse, and only 5 have felt there wasn't improvement. That's pretty neat.