1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

27 dead in Newtown, Conn. school shooting

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Revan, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awful news out of Connecticut...
    27 People Dead, Mostly Children, at Connecticut School Shooting; Gunman Is Dead - Yahoo!

More found in the link...

2. Ticklish Fish

I still want to know what is that man's connection with the school...

former staff? former parents? idk.

but RIP kids.

3. Emberstone

and this is why every lobbyest and politician that has ever fought to allow assualt rifles to be avalible to the public should be convicted as being accessories to murder. when those weapons were created, the condition was that they would NEVER be purchasable by the general public, and would remain military/law enforcment ONLY!

this week we have had two shootings using illegal assualt rifles made legal by immoral assholes.

4. Ticklish Fish

are you basically saying...

it's okay to carry a gun around but not being gay (as per some lobbyist and politicians)

5. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He's saying it's not okay for the public to have guns and didn't mention being gay, what is your comment I don't understand?

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't mean to turn this into a gun control argument, but if assault rifles were illegal, they'd use other kinds of guns (what immediately springs to mind are the Glock pistols with enormous magazines). If all guns were illegal, they'd use knives, machetes, shards of glass, pencils, frying pans, etc. Humans do violence with whatever's available and effective. It just so happens autoloading guns work best. Not to mention "available to only LE/Military" is a VERY slippery slope, one that borders oppression.

On topic though, it is a tragedy of similar proportions that the murderer who did this has only one scummy life to give in return for the dozen or more innocent ones he took.

#6 Argentwing, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  7. Emberstone

nothing I said had anything to do with being gay. but assualt rifles exist purely for ease and rate of killing, and where never meant to be owne by the general public.

they exist to kill a large number of people very quickly.

they also are the weapon used in every mass shooting in america in the last few decades.

where is the FUCKING LINE, NRA?

8. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    the shooter's, Ryan Lanza, mother worked at the school and was one of many victims. They have also found a body at his parent's house. This story is just getting worse and worse.

9. BudderMC

In terms of violence, it's much easier (psychologically) for a person to pull a trigger and inflict pain/death on someone from a distance rather than doing it voluntarily up-close and personally with a melee-ranged weapon.

But like you said, this isn't a debate for gun control. I just wanted to that in though, in case anyone didn't know.

This is tragic on so many levels.

10. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Let's not make this a political or gun control issue

#10 inthedark4eva, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  11. Ticklish Fish

My bad lol.
    I was going along the line of, those typically loouder-mouth and stubborn conservs tend to support gun rights and don't like gay rights...
    but I'll stop here to stay on topic

See above

12. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  13. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  14. Emberstone

it will always be a gun control issue, and that will always make it political. these types of weapons were illegal for decades, and lone gunmens werent commiting mass shootings like this. then people made them legal, and gun violence shot through the roof. they were banned again, and mass shootings declined, and the gun lobby got them unbanned, and we have had three in the last few months as it is!!!

HOW MANY LIVES?

15. BudderMC

Not in this thread it won't be.

16. Niko

First Colorado with the theater shooting, and now Connecticut...when will it end? :frowning2:

17. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    They haven't even said what type of guns were used.

They're not releasing a lot of information. Estimation is 27 but they're finding more victims in other places than the school.

18. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There is still a ton of speculation as to what kinds of guns that he was using. The AP wire is saying that he used two handguns. I've also head rifles and assault rifles.

What has happened is terrible. Nobody deserves to go through this. These kids were in kindergarten. Their lives were taken or severally changed before they even started.

Please, Let's not make this thread into a gun control argument.

19. SkyDiver

20. RainbowBright

I think more to the point, this is likely an issue of mental health. That has been the case for every other mass shooting, and really most killings in general. We need far more mental health education and awareness among the general population, and far better care and available treatments than are currently available. Additionally, we need to start talking about this so there is less fear among families and friends, or the potential killer themselves, to seek help BEFORE something happens.

So many who are unstable have no record and cannot be prevented from getting a weapon by multiple means. But their reason for doing so, and whether or not they pull the trigger, THAT can be prevented with better mental health practices and better medical resources.

RIP to so many, this is really the worst thing I've heard of happening in my lifetime, usually a person shoots peers, I have never heard of mass-killing when one is an adult intentionally killing mostly random children. Lots of terrible things happen in the world, but I'm not sure there will ever be an explanation that will really make sense, unless he was just shooting randomly and did not think to target anyone specifically. I have worked in schools with metal detectors, I wonder if that would have helped in this case, if it is necessary for every school regardless of other legislation...? They were not fool-proof, but it certainly cut down on incidents, one had to really go out of their way to get past them.