1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

22 Children Killed In China

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gordilocks, Dec 14, 2012.

1. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In yet another tragedy, a knife wielding maniac in China has killed 22 school children - likely to be between 6-11 years old. :frowning2:

China stabbing spree hurts 22 schoolchildren - World - CBC News

Actually the article says they were only injured, but i saw elsewhere they were killed so I don't know what actually happened.

#1 gordilocks, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  2. Emberstone

maybe we should all start praying for the mayan apocalpyse...

3. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    agreed

4. Ticklish Fish

Is morbid humor allowed? he used knife....

RIP again, kids. 49 kids today

(I love how this thread has less replies than the gunman in US...)

#4 Ticklish Fish, Dec 14, 2012
  5. Fiddledeedee

Injured, not killed. Still, dammit, why do people do these things at all?

6. Ticklish Fish

Oops. Injured.... Killed.. a little piece of their childhood died

7. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    not to mention how little publicity it's getting compared to the US one

8. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm sure in China there was much more publicity. And the major difference is that in China they were injured. In Connecticut they have confirmed 18 children that were killed and 6 adults and the shooter.

#8 inthedark4eva, Dec 14, 2012
  9. Harve

1 Western death = 10 Eastern deaths, though that's an incredibly crude way of putting it.

Tragedies all round.

10. Emberstone

it will with time. I suspect that the china one would have gotten more coverage if the american shooting had not taken place. I have gotten coverage on it from some of the cable news channels.

11. Ticklish Fish

To be fair, people on the other thread were trying to jump on gun rights inb4 mods (too late lol)

and nowhere I put an equation something like that (?)

12. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Yeah I have a bad feeling people are going to be doing crazy shit, because they think its the end of the world..

13. Emberstone

so basically we are to ignore the problem that makes it possible for a single shooter to massacre movie theatres, malls, and schools?

there is no 48 hour rule. you dont sit on your ass and say, well, we can discuss airport security on september 13th.

14. Harve

No no, that's often how some perceive events like this to be: how much coverage they garner (in whatever country) depends on where they took place.

15. Emberstone

I also think that it is just a matter that a country is going to spend more time on their tragedy than anothers country. sometimes, we have massive tragedys on a scale that surpasses that, such as 9/11 or the mumbai attacks, but generally speaking, we only got punctuated coverage during the norway attack when the right wing lunatic bombed a bunch of buildings and massacred the youth camp, and yet one can hardly say that was any less horrifying. I had friends in the country at the time who had to turn the tv off because, for good reason, it was all that was being talked about, and they couldn't handle rehashing what was known over and over again, as naturally happens when people are trying to make sense of it.

16. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yeah i get that in the countries where it happened, but on our news [Scotland] the America killings are a headline story while the Chinese attack hasn't even been mentioned

17. Harve

Yep, same with the Darfur and Rwandan genocides vs. Croatia and Bosnia genocides. The scale of the atrocities were far worse with the first two, but anecdotally, they seem to have received the same attention.

18. LiquidSwords

These incidents aren't even comparable since nobody died in the Chinese one. Even if they had been on similar scale it's entirely natural that the US one would receive more coverage in the UK. It's the same way the US election received much more coverage than the Chinese selecting a new leader. It's got nothing to do with the value we or the media place on a Chinese or an American life and much more to do with the fact that we feel we can relate better to the incident in America than the one in China given the cultural similarities between our two countries.

Croatia and Bosnia are part of Europe so I don't find it at all surprising that incidents in these countries receive a disproportinate amount of media and public attention compared to Darfur or Rwanda. In Africa I'm sure the media will have paid far more attention to the genocide in Rwanda than in Bosnia. Likewise I bet if you turn on a TV in China right now the incident where Chinese kids got injured will be taking precedence over the incidence where the American kids got killed despite the American story obviously being far more serious.

Anyway, both incidents are a tragedy and I'm gutted for anyone caught up in either.