1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tarantulas?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TheUndiscovered, Dec 15, 2012.

1. TheUndiscovered

Looking at possibly getting a tarantula and wondering if anyone has some knowledge on the critters?

/\(,:...:,)/\

2. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Why did I not see this thread earlier???? :eek:

I have had a total of five tarantulas as pets. Depending on the species, they can make very good pets (I know some people are cringing at this topic LOL).

Unfortunately, the better the species....the higher the price. The species I would recommend most is the Mexican Red Legged. They are very docile. I used to fall asleep with mine on top of me (I don't recommend doing that though....not for your safety but for the tarantulas).

Females live a lot longer than males. And of course females cost more than males.

I always fed mine crickets. There's literally nothing you have to clean up. I used to clean their tanks about every six months (unless you have one that loves to spin webs...but that's easy enough cleaning....think of clearing a few cobwebs in a cellar).

The two things I found really cool about tarantulas....watching them eat....and watching them molt (shed their skin). You have to be careful because when they molt, they actually appear like they're dead. Usually a week before they molt, they stop eating. This causes them too lose mass (weight) which makes it easier for them to shed their skin. Just make sure they have plenty of water (I always used a clean, natural sponge for water, it's easier for them to drink this way). What's cool is when they finally molt....it looks like you have two tarantulas!!!

Anyways, if you decide to do it....best of luck!!!

3. grizzleybear33

Omfg I have major arachniphobia, thinking about tarantulas makes me almost want to throw up. I saw a spider earlier in my bathroom and the thing was like 2 :***: inches long. I had to get my sister to come kill it. Ugh I hate spiders... :frowning2:

4. Jonathan

This. So much this ^^^

I'm sure that they can make some fine pets...but I'll literally kill the person who comes near me with one :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. grizzleybear33

I like Jonathan :roflmao:

6. theMaverick

I mean, it's all fine and well for you to own a tarantula, I suppose. But me

EWWWWW
    I'm getting grossed out just thinking about it. Makes my skin crawl. Arachniphobia's a bitch.

7. SomeNights

yeah, I'm not getting to sleep tonight now.....(did something just move over there)

8. fulcrum

Duuuude... the only thing worse than spiders is snakes.

9. Caudex

Caudex Guest

*shudder

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I beg to differ; snakes aren't so bad. I played with my friend's ball python many years ago, let him hang off of my arm. He was actually pretty cool.

Spiders, no offense to their fans, can burn in all the napalm. :thumbsup:

11. Gen

Gen

Exactly.

Another thing that is usually unknown to most, is that when it comes to snakes and spiders the larger the better in terms of friendliness('Usually' of course). Not to mention, most animals are no different than our common house pets. In that, they can be trained to not attack humans.

Your pet dog would have, no less, devoured you out in the wild, a few centuries ago. Companionment is a learned attribute.

12. Illusion

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't have any tarantulas,so I can't really give you any advice,but they seem like cool pets,and I've actually always had a soft spot for spiders,they're one of my favourite animals. I couldn't own one though,I'm a softie,haha. I like insects too,and I'd struggle condemning crickets to death as daft as that sounds. :wink:

13. grizzleybear33

I don't mind playing with snakes as long as they cant kill me :slight_smile:. There is this spider that has been on my wall in my bathroom for about three days now and my family's unwillingness to kill it has led me to leave it and instead of just walking directly out of my bathroom, I go all the way around my bathroom, through my room and out.
    Agreed

14. Jonathan

Nah, snakes aren't so bad...just as long as they are not gigantic lol.

Tarantulas though...I remember when I was little being freaked out by that one scene in the movie Jungle 2 Jungle when the tarantula chases Tim Allen around...ughhh...*shivers*

[YOUTUBE]gPyicz-l-YQ[/YOUTUBE]

15. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol I remember that movie! Only saw it when I was little, but now I see that the tribal kid is pretty cute too. :astonished: That spider was absolutely Shelob-sized, though.