1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you think the world would be like if we could change our sexuality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GingerGuy, Dec 16, 2012.

1. GingerGuy

So, the title basically says it all. Every gay person in the world knows that we did not choose to be gay, we were born like this, and this is why "straight conversion therapies" never work. However, how do you think the world would be if, since the dawn of mankind, everyone could choose to be straight or gay depending on the mood and situation? I think it would be mostly good, but not perfect, since , if homosexuals continued to be discriminated against, many of them would just turn straight to avoid being persecuted. But on the other hand, maybe discrimination would be much smaller than what it is today. What is your opinion?

2. Zontar

Far more plausible would be a 50-50 split in heterosexual/homosexual relationships. I don't think anyone would pick one over the other, since they'd just go with whoever was their love interest at the time.

3. EmHw

I think that if we could chose our sexuality it would be easier in a way that we wouldn't have to go through this feeling when we come out and how much it hurts yet in another way if it isn't our sexuality people don't like then it would just be something else. But if we did have the chance I don't think anyone would want to change because our sexuality is like our hair or eye color. We can cover it up and dye it but eventually our real color would always come out as nothing is permanent.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really feel like it'd be just difficult to decide what would happen...Would people be happy together, would bullying be extinct, would it be 50/50 as stated? I mean with only 5-10 per cent of the population being gay...then it really begs the question about how many homosexual relationships there would be.

5. Ticklish Fish

Wouldn't it be like eugenic?.....

Like choosing your babies but you choose your sexuality?

6. FemCasanova

If everyone turned straigth the world would be overrun by breeding humans, causing over-population in few years. Then we`d all starve and start eating .. well, not cows. So, I don`t think it is a good alternative. There are almost too many of us as it is. If everyone were straigth and could produce children, the human race would be on the verge of a collaps. So, thank God for homosexuals!

7. kem

kem

I find that scenario unlikely, considering how the percentage of homosexuals isn't really remarkable. And if we were all gay, we would probably still reproduce (many gays want children) - and possibly even more than we do now; alternative forms of conception would likely have been invented due to demand.

8. jaysuss

It would suck if it just suddenly changed because i like being gay and the people I associate with.

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This sounds like the topic for a sci-fi story. :grin: Examining the social ramifications of sexuality as a choice to be switched at will (or otherwise interpreted as absolutely 50/50 bi) actually sounds really interesting, and would make people think very hard about why prejudice against us exists.

10. Lewis

I wouldn't want to change at the stage I'm at now. After years of battling with it, I don't think I could just throw in the towel and give up. I'm happy with who I am and wouldn't change it for the world.

11. Juggalo

I can't for the life of me remember who wrote it, but I read a short story about 10-15 years ago that played with this idea. A guy found the cure for cancer, but it also somehow reset the biological timer back to teenage health prime. Also it reversed the user's gender. So basically the entire planet became full of gender bending immortal teenagers, and the human race eventually went extinct because nobody wanted to spend 9 months as the same gender. It was a very interesting, yet bleak, short story.

12. FemCasanova

Lol, so you are saying our species is doomed regardless? On a small scale, perhaps, but worldwide the numbers are large enough to make a difference. But that is only my opinion and my assessment, if someone can show statistics otherwise, I`ll bend. In any case, I am hoping for more people to adopt, instead of making children, I really do not want to end up having to do cannibalism. I really do think there are quite enough people in the world, though of course I understand people wanting to have children. But for me, adoption is a nice choice, one I hope will be possible in the future.

13. Caudex

Caudex Guest

That would be great. Much bigger dating pool and no discrimination.

14. grizzleybear33

Well not many people would want to switch I think. I mean as much as I hear people saying that being gay is a sin and is gross blah blah blah, I wouldn't want to be straight and as far as I know no straight person would want to be gay so I don't think it would be too much different

15. BrokenGuy

BrokenGuy Guest

I think and feel, that Bisexuals and Pansexuals, already have this power.
    And I think, that possessing the power to change your sexual orientation, at anytime, and whenever you pleased; people would just take the course of least resistance.

I believe it would promote a bad message:

"I am gay, or lesbian, but if I receive any gay slurs, hatred or prejudice; I'll just automatically turn myself straight".

So, for all of us who have been persecuted in one way or another for being gay or lesbian, and are still being persecuted in some way; it would make a huge mockery out of us, for our constant fight for equality that we have maintained, and for our right to be treated with the same respect and dignity as heterosexuals are afforded.

Even if I had the power to alter my sexual orientation, I wouldn't use the power, because I love and respect myself for being gay, not by choice, but because nature biologically gave me the gift and beauty of being different, right from the start of my being conceived. :grin:

I wholeheartedly agree with these opinions: